Help with importing self designed objects to RF7

GEK

I have been learning to design my own aircraft and airport objects for use in RealFlight 7 (RF7).

I am using Blender (free) as my design program. I cannot afford 3dx Max (over $3,000). I am over 70 years old and cannot and will not pretend to be a student for the free student version of 3dx (only good for 3 years anyway). Blender is really great and I am learning fast to create my own objects.

My question:
My version of Blender is the latest (2.69). Can I export my Blender creations to Real Flight 7. Do I need the KEmax Tool Kit? If I need the KEmax Tool Kit, what version do I download (there are 11 possible choices). I tried downloading the first one on top and it did not seem to work. I know this has been asked before, but I really have not found a good satisfactory answer.

If what I ask is possible, could someone please help me by providing step by step instructions on how to successfully get Blender file to RF7.

I would really appreciate the help. If I can successfully accomplish this with Blender, I will certainly share my creations with fellow members of this forum.

Sincerely, GEK (George)

Learning a new skill certainly qualifies as a student. I don't see the conflict here.

Doing it in Blender is not impossible, but you definitely have some big hurdles to climb.
There are very few people that have gone that route and successfully imported a model into Realflight.
If you're up to a mission impossible challenge, then sure, go for it, should provide for yet another multi-page read.

Learning a new skill certainly qualifies as a student. I don't see the conflict here.

Doing it in Blender is not impossible, but you definitely have some big hurdles to climb.
There are very few people that have gone that route and successfully imported a model into Realflight.
If you're up to a mission impossible challenge, then sure, go for it, should provide for yet another multi-page read.
Thank you phrank for your help. Maybe I am trying to something to difficult for me. The reason I was concerned about applying for the student download of 3dx is that when I read the requirements for the free copy it stated one had to be a faculty member or full time student at a college. That I am not. Used to be a long time ago but not now. LOL I do appreciate your responding to my post. I will keep on trucking!!!

GEK

I think that it might be a very smart move by AutoDesk to allow the non-commercial use of their product. It gets potential buyers up to speed and depending on the product. I am a student of life and I am still learning in the school of hard knocks #37.

They did that very thing with the reduced feature version they once made available to end users for game resource developement.

I forget what it was called...

Knifeedge went with 3DStudio formats for plane creation in large part because the software was freely available.

However soon after the release of Realflight ( I believe it was with G3 ), Autodesk made a complete about face and pulled their free product leaving many high and dry.

Jose,

Just wondering, are there any reduced features or limitations designed into the Student version of 3DMaxStudio... How do they know something is not being used commercially? I wish that it was not $3K, but that is the price point so that precludes a lot of casual users. Hard to justify it for a hobbiest.

They did that very thing with the reduced feature version they once made available to end users for game resource developement.

I forget what it was called...

Knifeedge went with 3DStudio formats for plane creation in large part because the software was freely available.

However soon after the release of Realflight ( I believe it was with G3 ), Autodesk made a complete about face and pulled their free product leaving many high and dry.

I had forgotten all about that. You're talking about Gmax. It was discontinued long ago, though it looks like it's still available (available again?).

We have always used 3ds Max, so that was always going to be the format of choice. But that freely available end user-level tool was going to be a fantastic benefit for the community. We were quite vexed at that turn of events.

Autodesk's permissive student license policy for the full version of 3ds Max seems to be a good solution for people these days, though.

Back