Hey Guys, I Have A Question About RF 9.5 VS RF X And RF EVO.

braved

Banned
Is Real Flight 9.5 newer than Real Flight X? I have Real Flight 9.5.
Also, what is the difference between Real Flight 9.5 and Real Flight Evolution.

First things first. You can remove RealFlight X from the equation. RealFlight X was their try to move RealFlight to a new generation of graphics, but it unfortunately failed because it was "very" demanding on the graphics card (at the time). You literally had to have the most expensive graphics card to run it decently. So most people hated it and it was finally given up on. And that's too bad because in a way it's their best rc simulator. The graphics were a huge jump ahead and when they came out with the last version of it (1.5) it showed great progress and is still popular today with lots of folks. But it's a dead product, when Horizon Hobby purchased RealFlight they didn't buy RealFlight X so it's dead.

Having said all that RealFlight 9.5 (not 9.5S) is the last RealFlight from KnifeEdge Software and is actually what I still use to model new planes. When Horizon Hobby bought RealFlight they released RealFlight 9.5S and offered a free upgrade to it, the "S" just meant Steam and it had a few extra features too. I never upgraded to it and am still using the DVD version of RealFlight 9.5.

RealFlight Evolution is the latest version and is only available through Steam and comes with almost all of the aircraft and flying fields in the Expansion Packs plus others, so it's a very nice version and is what I release all my new planes on. They said when they released RealFlight Evolution that it would be around for quite a while with upgrades to it as time goes by. It was the first "64 bit" version so it's not compatible with older versions. But they are holding to their word and are currently working towards releasing a DX11 version of it, which is a HUGE deal and will be a very good move for them. So RealFlight Evolution is truly a version that will Evolve over time and be great for them. I definitely think it's a good move to upgrade to it if you have the funds.

I'm noy familiar with steam. What is steam? For Real Flight I use a computer updated to Windows 11. Will that work for Evo?

I'm noy familiar with steam. What is steam? For Real Flight I use a computer updated to Windows 11. Will that work for Evo?
Steam is probably the most popular on-line game sales distribution platform. I've used it for years and it's good because it keeps your games available on Steam always and allows you to install your games on multiple computer but enforces the product agreement by only allowing you to run the game on "one" computer at a time. And it also keeps your games up to date by notifying you and installing updates. And yes Steam works for Windows 11.

1. How do u download or get Evo.
  2. Do u get it from Horizon Hobby Website?
To get Steam and buy RealFlight Evolution go to this link and install Steam from there. Then you can search for RealFlight Evolution on Steam and buy it there too. Then it will install it on your computer. You should be able to just follow the instructions there to get everything. And yes Steam is free.

There's a Install Steam button at the top of the page on the right side.

https://store.steampowered.com/

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your detailed answer technoid !!!!!!
My nickname for you from now on is.......... Technofix.................. Ha Ha whether you like it or not ....... I will call you that :devilish: TORCHER!!!!!

Maybe.......................... Tehnofix..... +y = TECHNOFIXY............ PERFECT Sounds more.............. I have no idea where I was going with that............................... ;)

Back