Hitec Eclipse and inverted flight

saljas

Was wondering if anyone could help me. I've got a hitec eclipse 7 radio. I can hook it up via the interlink and fly the models but I can't get them to fly inverted? All other controlls work. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong or having the same problem? It's a FM transmitter, does it have to be pcm to work right?

Your radio has to be in the "ppm" setting in order to work. Make sure that your channel mapping is correct for you transmitter. Are you having trouble flying planes or helis inverted? I would guess helis. You need to have the "smoke channel" off and the " 3-pos switch" all the way on.

I think he is referring to something else.

Some transmitters have the ability to reverse the controls for inverted flight, so you do not have to learn anything different.

saljas:

G3 has no provisions for this.

You should learn inverted flight w/o resorting to the radio mixing.

The hitec eclipse is a fm transmitter will that work? It doesnt have ppm. when you say I need to have the smoke channel off your refering to editing the aircraft? or in the channel mapping I swap the smoke for enableing the 3 position switch?

Opjose How do you fly inverted with out negative pitch? you have to set up pitch curves in the radio my radio goes from 0 to 100% pitch so on my real helis I have 50% at 0 degrees pitch 0= -9 degrees and 100%= +9 degrees. What are you talking about when you say I should learn to fly inverted without setting it up in the radio? My throttle is on channel 3 and my blade pitch servo is on channel 6. And it's all controlled from one stick on the radio how don't I mix that?

Last edited:
There are several things being confused here.

What I was referring to, is that I have a couple of JR radios that you can flip a switch on when you invert your heli.

The second you flip the heli over, you hit the switch.

Now the heli will respond to NORMAL controls as if it were right side up!

This prevents having to learn how to hover a bird in inverted flight.

---

Your post was not very clear, but it seems that you are looking for the IDLE UP function of the Hitec to also work in G3.

It will not.

G3 only maps the main channels that are transmitted via PPM.

Sorry about my response opjose in re-reading it I think I sounded rude. I didn't intend to sound that way I was unclear with what you were saying.

opjose said:
There are several things being confused here.

Your post was not very clear, but it seems that you are looking for the IDLE UP function of the Hitec to also work in G3.

It will not.

G3 only maps the main channels that are transmitted via PPM.

I know... thread necroing, but I was just poking about, and found this. It will work. As a matter of fact, I use it. You're correct about the mapped channels, but Idle 1/2 and Throttle Hold in an actual radio are mixes, not a channel.

I'll give some instructions briefly. Sorry, but I am not at the machine I use G3 from so I can't give specific locations in the setup for some things.

1. Edit the model and change the radio mode to "passthrough". This removes the software radio and leaves you only with servo settings in G3. All mixing is now down in your radio.

2. Make sure that the channel assignments are correct.

3. Go through the model, delete components you don't want (governor, smoke servos.... etc) and double check the servo-channel mapping for each servo.

4. If you want your radio to control gyro gain, make sure you edit your gyro and replace the "Fixed 100%" with Rx Channel 5. I've noted that most of the helis in G3 seem to fly like crap if you don't set the gain to 100%, but I might be doing something wrong in the gyro settings.

5. Fly to your hearts content.

It takes me about 3 minutes to edit a model to work with my Eclipse radio.

Alternative gyro/governor setup for the Eclipse (G3 and actual models) (so far this is about the only way I can think of to get the governor to work in G3): You can assign the Gyro to Ch7 and use the GYRO function (channel 5) for a governor. Edit the EPA on channel 7 for HH/Dampening gain (one switch position will be HH gain, the other will be dampening gain) . Use the GYRO setting in your flight modes to set the EPA adjustment for the Governor's headspeed setting. I haven't tried this yet, was planning on doing it tonight. This setup is how I plan on running a Raptor 50.

If anyone has questions on setting this up to work, feel free to send me a private message.

Last edited:
Back