How do you build aircraft in RF6

Toy4therock

I have figured out the airport workings.BUT I am clueless for how to build the aircraft.IN fact I don't think its possible to using only realflight.Along with changing out power plants.Ive found isn't a good idea in most aircraft.OR changing the type like going from electric to turbine.Works in afew not all. etc. Thankyou

You need to get 3xs max and make the actual model. There is plenty of info to be found here in the forums on the process. Just start digging.

toy4rock...........prepare to be overwhelmed.........at first
I think before you does anything ,....
is to learn a little (at least) about how physics and things work in the RF Aircraft editor and in turn how thing change in RF
a skill that will serve you well if 3dmodeling and help you get to use RF at its full potential to teach RC even just get yer $ worth learning about Aeronautics at the same time as a bonus ....a skill that will help in the RW if you plan to fly Real RC.........which I suspect it the main reason he got RF in the first place
toy for rock ...this will help you to learn physics it was written for G3 but 98% is still applicable all the way to to RF7 editor (For some silly reason the Laws of physics are never missing or broken or out of date
so they are still good ....so far:p)
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=17498

"Theres plenty
of time to learn to 3dmodel.....
But only if you have plenty of time to learn to 3dmodel" ...

.just fyi so you have an idea of what you would be committing yourself to

To make a descent RF model it takes even the best most experienced 3dmodeler that still share on the swap page spend a minimum of 40 hours usually more..to produce a model for RF...(I mean something worth it.)..keep in mind that's by guys who have it pretty much down
(I and others here know of some builds going on that are over 100+ 200= hours and they are not done .....)

so now imagine the amount of time YOU need to learn how to produce you're first RF model..good or bad ?
Don't get me wrong....Im not trying to talk you out of it .....
At one time all of them got there start....standing where you are now ..
like boof said all the info is here ....
but it takes effort and a lot of time and reading ....you have to be "on a mission"... if you are serious
I'd like to hear from any 3dmodeler who thinks Im wrong about that

But I just think its fair to let you know the reality of what you want to get into

In a nutshell
Its a big NON paying investment ,,
That you will pay for with your free time and
all of the frustrations that can come along during the process no matter how good you are (prog. errors etc)and doing it all while learning up to 4 brand new and totally foreign Program UI's that to the uninitiated could be written in mandarin Chinese for all you care ..... takes it to a whole other level
Especially the PHrustration Phactor

When you are done modeling you still have to set the pivot points map the texture wright the hierarchy
nup values and then you have start on the collision mesh if it over a certain size (Im prob wrong in the order of things ) and when you are done with that you still need to ....

Paint it with a 32 0r 28 bit (3 or 4 channel)Classic .tga at the very least ,then optional spec._stga and a _n.tga bump file ....and at least 3 intermediary files to make the 3 final Color Scheme files

(...I have spent over 40 hours JUST on a CS ! )
and
you are still not done
now you have to get it in RF using a whole other DOS promt plug-in for 3dsmax... KEmax
to export the 3ds and other files for import in RF ............and if successful

you are still not done
now you need to use RF aircraft editor to give it the correct flight physics accurate,believable and real world like in RF ...see tutorial (A 3rd party could easily do the AV physics and color schemes part ...if he knows what hes doing

Lots to learn and do to make a RF model

That's why I say start with the basics because
you are going to have to know them and the Aircraft Editor
at one time or another to get the most out of RF
even if you decide NOT to 3d model

You'll still benefit you should learn the editor anyhow
You can only truly get you're moneys worth out RF if you learn the editor (and aeronautics along the way)...that can never be a bad thing

Last edited:
Completely agreeing with the Maj., I'm modelling for a year now and if I load my old models, I often shake my head and ask myself "was this heli always that bad?!"
Also, time is a big factor too. Sure, you can bash a model out in two days after beginning it (did that with the Logo 480) but that doesn't automatically make it good. Diabolo, Triabolo and the CYE Stingray took me about two weeks EACH just to get the physics and optics right.
You can always find something you want to improve. I'm sitting on a Logo 690 SX for a week now, "just to add some parts to the 600SX?" one might claim. No. To correct all the mistakes I did when building the 600SX just because I didn't know how to do it right.
Learning all the stuff it takes to make a model people call good is really a bottomless pit. But once you know how to do it, it's definitely fun.

Jonas

I thought your 600SX was quite nice - granted I don't have one, so I don't really know what they truly feel like in real life.

What was wrong in particular with it? Does it fly wrong?

(And your Stingray, lol, now THAT is truly a beauty)

Thanks ;) It flies right, that's not the problem. It's the graphics. On my way with this model I learned about smoothing, animations, how to build proper canopies, wires etc... Always something to improve :) The 690 will have eg. screws and bolts, metal that looks like metal, even better animations, shiny blades........

Well, I'm way behind you guys.

I'm still following Boof69's videos. (Nice Xxtreme, Boof, btw! thumbup)

Got to get a RF simple plank going FIRST, but I have to tell you I have absolutely no interest in planks. If there's a straight to heli guide someone's done already, be very grateful.

I'm just going with the 64 bit 3DS max 2012 for design initially and then will probably use the KEMax plug ins on the 32 bit version when I need to - is that a wise choice? Same file format.

Or should I just deal with the buggier 32 bit version (somehow or rather the screen updates are poor) from the get go.

If someone has noted a problem with that planned approach, much appreciate the heads up! Thanks very much in advance!

I've never modeled anything
and it s the time or lack thereof
that is the main factor ....
I got as far as importing and lining up 3- views and the the bounding box .its definitely a time consuming undertaking

What also is a real mood-killer is 3DSMax itself. With all its dumb bugs and crashes I often ask myself... How the f... would someone voluntarily pay 3500$ per ---> YEAR <--- for it or even use this piece of s... if he hasn't to?!?! 3DSMax is truly one of the worst 3D modelling programs out there, you have no clue how many hours of work i lost to max which simply decided to flood my ram and crash literally in the moment I saw it.

Last edited:
I asked our artists about this, because I was pretty sure they aren't having the nightmarish time with it that you seem to be.

The consensus seems to be that while it crashes once in a while (and what doesn't?), and there are a couple problems they can anticipate and work around, it's really quite stable, and has improved a lot over the last few years.

One of our guys suggested setting your auto-backup frequency in Max to a much smaller interval to avoid losing so much work if it's that big a problem. It might even be worth reinstalling Max in case something has gone wrong with your installation.

We also wonder if your RAM is bad.

Just some thoughts, FWIW.

Ryan, Max is REALLY performance hungry (Maybe you can tell us the system specs of your designers pcs?) On my old pc (4Gb RAM, 2 cores@ 3GHz, Nvidia GT9600) I had crashes all day long. While Blender ran perfectly fine, max crashed all the time. I recently bought a new pc (16Gb RAM, Nvidia GTX 760, i5 processor with 4 cores @3GHz) and it's better, it just crashes about once a day, but all the odd bugs are still there. For example:

-When mapping complex objects, sometimes the whole graphics get messed up, objects flicker and get teanslucent. Then just restarting helps.
-It doesn't save some modifiers, eg proOptimizer. You have to recalculate them everytime when loading the file or they even reset randomly while working on completely other components
-Rotating the view to a side view works very rarely, mostly it stops a few degrees before locking into the right persoective, the grid is rendered to infinity and the ram fills up, max crashes.
-Leaving the program open for just like 10 minutes also floods my RAM completely sometimes. Crashes when I get back.
-Texture files randomly disappear from the scene and restarting is necessary to bring them back.
-Sometimes it doesn't even create a recovery file on crashes even if it claims to... :(

It would be really interesting to know how to enanle autosave :)

Could be my drivers, Ryan, I don't get viewports refreshed correctly in the 32 bit version but the 64 bit version it's fine. I have an average gaming laptop i7, 16 gigs of ram, no crash issues, windows 8 (thus base 64 OS), nvidia 660M.

Don't get me wrong the 32 bit version is not all that bad, it just doesn't sometimes refresh the windows right, with ghosting of a prior image, espeicially in that perspective viewport.

Makes me think that somehow there might be a bug whatever code is responsible for a viewport refresh, but my drivers (nvidia) are up to date, other 32 bit software doesn't seem to cause this, so there must be some bug at/around that level, between the part where the OS calls the program for a refresh, how the 32 bit program responds to that event and it calls the the underlying libraries to do it.

Jonas, what do you do? It sounds like our systems are possibly comparable ram and CPU wise, except you obviously have a hot spanking GPU and I have a mobile solution. Do you run the 64 bit to design (so far it seems bug free -- but I have not used it all that long at all, few days maybe) and then 32 bit to do the RF specific stuff? (the 32 bit one seems buggy as described above).

Last edited:
What also is a real mood-killer is 3DSMax itself. With all its dumb bugs and crashes I often ask myself... How the f... would someone voluntarily pay 3500$ per ---> YEAR <--- for it or even use this piece of s... if he hasn't to?!?! 3DSMax is truly one of the worst 3D modelling programs out there, you have no clue how many hours of work i lost to max which simply decided to flood my ram and crash literally in the moment I saw it.

Trust me 3ds max is not the worst out there. It is in fact one of the best its a game industry standard. I agree with Ryan and his in house guys. It's more than likely an issue with your machine. Be it videocard, ram, or psu your issue is not the norm.. I have used it responsibly and have had no such issues. Probably because I got to know the software intimately and avoided any known pitfalls in relation to my hardware choices. Furthermore the type of modeling required for RF is well within the abilities of 3ds max and do not touch on 80% of it's depth of features. I can understand being frustrated by issues during modeling but I have made many models and have suffered almost no loss of work due to a responsible file saving regimine and a stable platform. For what it's worth.;)

Ryan, Max is REALLY performance hungry (Maybe you can tell us the system specs of your designers pcs?) On my old pc (4Gb RAM, 2 cores@ 3GHz, Nvidia GT9600) I had crashes all day long. While Blender ran perfectly fine, max crashed all the time. I recently bought a new pc (16Gb RAM, Nvidia GTX 760, i5 processor with 4 cores @3GHz) and it's better, it just crashes about once a day, but all the odd bugs are still there. For example:

-When mapping complex objects, sometimes the whole graphics get messed up, objects flicker and get teanslucent. Then just restarting helps.
-It doesn't save some modifiers, eg proOptimizer. You have to recalculate them everytime when loading the file or they even reset randomly while working on completely other components
-Rotating the view to a side view works very rarely, mostly it stops a few degrees before locking into the right persoective, the grid is rendered to infinity and the ram fills up, max crashes.
-Leaving the program open for just like 10 minutes also floods my RAM completely sometimes. Crashes when I get back.
-Texture files randomly disappear from the scene and restarting is necessary to bring them back.
-Sometimes it doesn't even create a recovery file on crashes even if it claims to... :(

It would be really interesting to know how to enanle autosave :)

Are you using the default Nitrous display engine or direct 3d? You can tell if in the upper left corner you see the word realistic.

I'm only running 2012 32bit. I'd really wonder if it was my pc since it's just a few weeks old and runs everything I have installed, just max bugs. And i'm not the only one experiencing this... I mean, it does not happen too often except for the view-aligning, ProOptimizer-does-not-save and floods-my-ram-bug, but it's still annoying. Scott, what system are you running?

Edit: It says realistic. I attached a picture of the view-aligning-bug. Happens in 9 out of 10 tries. Mind the FPS. Usually I get about 200. :)

Attachments

• bug.png
    bug.png
    479.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
These are my specs but I have run earlier versions on lesser machines.
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SCOTT-PC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1708, 11/9/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name scott-PC\scott
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 28.4 GB
Total Virtual Memory 63.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 60.1 GB
Page File Space 31.9 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Try changing to direct 3d by first
going to Customize/preferences.../viewports tab
Select "Choose Driver..."
Select "Direct3D"
Restart max
Notice that the perspective window now says "Smooth+Highlights" This means it worked
If not then you do not have admin privileges set on the max install directory.
Simply set privileges and repeat above.
I find it is a more reliable real time render engine. I would also suggest ignoring the hardware shading that you are probably used to. Things like cast shadows and AO are useless during modelling. They also do not give a reliable likeness to what the model will look like in a game anyways. Instead do renders to check your geometry every once in a while.
If a viewport window goes black use the tilda key to manually refresh (This almost never happens but it's nice to know.).
Let me know if it helps.

Also the aligning "bug" is just max not knowing if you want orthographic or perspective. Just use the "U" key to switch to orthographic and the "P" key to switch to perspective.

Last edited:
Hmm. I see your pc is a real breaker ;)
I tried Direct3D. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to do anything for me (same RAM consumption, same FPS, didn't try to provoke the other things yet) but making my textures blocky. I also couldn't figure out how to fix that. :(

Also, I'm generally working in ortho. By switching between perspective and ortho, it still doesn't really show me the grid when clicking on one of the view-cubes sides. Even if it doesn't go into this weird endless-grid-perspective from a normal POV, it gives me a black line and still does when I zoom in...
It only displays the grid when I actually selected somthing. Then it aligns correctly all the time. Weird. :confused:

Attachments

• direct3d.png
    direct3d.png
    370.5 KB · Views: 7
  • viewbug1.png
    viewbug1.png
    470.3 KB · Views: 7
  • zoomedbug.png
    zoomedbug.png
    243.2 KB · Views: 6
  • grid.png
    grid.png
    368.1 KB · Views: 6
Right I forgot the Configure driver portion. In the viewports tab in preferences click "Configure driver" then tick "Match Bitmap Size as Closely as Possible"in both boxes.
then click "OK" and restart. That will fix your texture rendering issue. As for your other problems I can't explain. This is the mode in which I work and I have never encountered any real issues. Sorry you are having these issues. It's too bad really because it is causing your opinion of a great piece of software to suffer. I hope you are able to clear things up in the future.

As sad as it is, the "Match Bitmap Size" option didn't work either, for whatever reason.. ;)

Anyway, thank you Scott. I really appreciate that you take the time to explain all this to me.
Maybe I'll get me Max 2015 and look if it runs better. I definitely see the potential and abilities of max and I'm sure it's great when you run it on a machine powerful enough to handle it, sadly this machine has apparently to be half of a NASA-pc :p

Question. what size .tga are you using? (sorry if I missed that somewhere) A smaller .tga will cause a blocky look like you're seeing sometime. I typically use a 4096x4096 and have nice looking details in max.

Back