How does the real RC AH-1 Skyraider compare?

jdouglasj

Perhaps my favorite plane to fly on RF9 is the AH-1 Skyraider. It's fun because it's lumbering (admittedly, the sound on RF9 is lumbering too, and I won't get that in the real thing). I prefer lumbering over snappy.

So some questions...

1. Is there a Skyraider that flies like this, and if so, how big is it and how much does it cost? (And does it have those cool sky brakes?)

2. Or is this RF9 plane modeled after a huge plane, and is lumbering just a function of huge and heavy planes in general?

3. What is the lowest cost lumbering plane out there?

P.S. If you want a fun flight mission, trying landing the Skyraider into a maximum head wind on RF9.

Last edited:
is lumbering just a function of huge and heavy planes in general?
In general, yes; but, it depends on the power, airfoil, drag, and STOL characteristics.

The "Timbers" (with slats) may be flown low and slow. Also, the CarbonZ Cub SS 2.1m is a great scale flight model, may also be flown low and slow, and is just a really fun scale plane to fly. The Turbo Timber 1.5m (with slats) has great STOL characteristics, and flies really well in the low and slow category.

marcus

The Skyraider on the Swap pages physics aren't based on a Actual RC aircraft. It could be adjusted to fly like a Real RC aircraft, but it would require some first hand knowledge of how the real aircraft flies. We can make it close but, The best person for that would be a owner of the real RC aircraft.

csgill75,

You wrote:
"It could be adjusted to fly like a Real RC aircraft"

Thanks for the heads up. I enjoy flying it too much to want to make any adjustments. I guess what I really want is an RC manufacturer to adjust their plane to match the Swap pages physics of the Skyraider. ;)

In general, yes; but, it depends on the power, airfoil, drag, and STOL characteristics.

The "Timbers" (with slats) may be flown low and slow. Also, the CarbonZ Cub SS 2.1m is a great scale flight model, may also be flown low and slow, and is just a really fun scale plane to fly. The Turbo Timber 1.5m (with slats) has great STOL characteristics, and flies really well in the low and slow category.

marcus
I have just ordered the Turbo Timber 1.5m!

I've been searching for the Skyraider but can't find it. I'm not a huge fan of more recent (ie post 1940s :) ) warbirds generally but like the FW190 it has an air of menace that appeals.

I've looked through RF 9.5 and RF9 swap pages to no avail. Could you post a link, please?

Geoff

I've been searching for the Skyraider but can't find it. I'm not a huge fan of more recent (ie post 1940s :) ) warbirds generally but like the FW190 it has an air of menace that appeals.

I've looked through RF 9.5 and RF9 swap pages to no avail. Could you post a link, please?

Geoff

This still should work with 9.5

csgill75,

You wrote:
"It could be adjusted to fly like a Real RC aircraft"

Thanks for the heads up. I enjoy flying it too much to want to make any adjustments. I guess what I really want is an RC manufacturer to adjust their plane to match the Swap pages physics of the Skyraider. ;)

The Swap Pages Aircraft were all created by a users of these forums like you and me, not any manufacturer of an aircraft. For that to happen Knife Edge/Horizon Hobby would have to acquire a licence for the aircraft to be in the simulator. Horizon/Knife Edge would then create their own model and have it added to the simulator.

The other option is to just find someone who has a Skyraider, have that person fly the Swap pages model and then give input as to how it is supposed to fly. I have done this with some WWI fighters with a owner of a couple real aircraft. One is available Here. We spent a day with the owner flying the real aircraft, then the one in the simulator, and I adjusted the Sim aircraft to fly like his real aircraft. It turned out great.

This still should work with 9.5

Thanks. I thought earlier versions didn't work on 9.5

Geoff

Thanks. I thought earlier versions didn't work on 9.5

Geoff

the very early versions of RF9 did not support 15 channels on the receiver. but it does now so it should work I think the slider may need reassigned to the new channel layout.

also the skyraider as posted on the swaps is not an off the shelf set up. it is a set of Ziroli plans scales up by 50%. the link below is a 80% scale up of the same plans

Super-size Skyraider - Model Airplane News

I'm using a Frsky Horus x10 on OpenTX pretending to be a some sort of Spektrum via a multi-protocol module and the WS2000 wireless interface so I'd need to set up the different channels appropriately. It'll be an interesting exercise and I'll try the Super-size version, too. Thanks for the help.

Geoff

PS Just had a look at your link. I know Phil Clarke slightly (he test flew a model for me a few years back and I've attended the odd fly-in with him) he's an outstanding builder and flyer, though perhaps Ali M is even better. I now recall the RCMF thread about that build.

Last edited:
I agree, the Skyraider is very enjoyable sim to fly. Not quite worked out all the mixes (the cockpit seems to be open or shut at random - I'm sure it's not) and the mix between the bomb and the guns is a bit strange but the main flying controls (which I'm most interested in) are fine. There's obviously a mix somewhere that automatically deploys the dive brake which is pretty cool.

I'm glad I downloaded it. It's certainly the best I've tried so far and I'm a biplane nut!

Geoff

I can hopefully shed some light on the mixes.

• the canopy open at low speed when retracts are down "taxiing"
  • the gun and bomb mixes I ran out of switches on the 10 input remote (interlink-X) so I did some "squeezing" and the 3-pos switch works as a weapon selector and the dual rates is a trigger
  • the dive brakes open while retracts are up and the nose is 20 degrees below the horizon

Back