How to create a new detachable item

rjday100

I want to make something like a rocket launcher but have paratroopers drop instead of rockets. Does anyone have anything like this?

I thinki'm gonna try and make it myself. Using the Flyzone Sensei with bomb doors that currently drops golf balls and see if I can modify that somehow maybe using parts of the model you mentioned. It doesn't have to be perfect, I just want to be able to drop a chute. Surprised that I haven't seen a parachute drop on here. It's my favorite thing to do at the field. Too bad I can't just modify the missile launcher...

To do what you want will require you to create an entire aircraft with parts created to drop off. You can not add anything to an existing model as it doesn't work that way. You can edit the missile launcher to drop slow from an aircraft or use an existing model with dropable items.

Yep, that's what I intend to do. I already have 3ds Max installed. I was hoping to use the existing Sensei 3ds file I got from sakamara. I already have a tga file witih my paratrooper already on it (along with the plane). I just need to figure out the 3d modeling part. Before I get started, I'll need to read up on it a bit. I know it won't be easy but I like a good challenge. Should there be an *.obj file as well? All I have is the *.3ds & *.tga files but from what I have been seeing, I need an *.obj file too...

.obj is only for importing a wings 3D file. That's the only way to go between those programs with as little damage as possible.

Is there a way to export a model from RF to 3ds max? The 3ds file I have only has two objects that I can select it seems... See attached picture.

Attachments

• Sensei.jpg
    Sensei.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 12
No!! Unless you have permission to use the file, or you were involved in it's design,do not attempt to take a model from RF back into max. That's considered stealing and frowned upon. If you can't get the files from the original creator, start over.

Last edited:
I figured that would be a no no. I got permission from sakamara to use it. That's where I got the 3ds file from.

Ok, I got the right files now. I created my parachute and have it tucked away in the airplane fuselage now. However, I can't seem to link the parachute to the image map? I've googled this and can't seem to find an answer of how to link my parachute object to an image map. After that, I need to map the coordinates so it looks right. Any suggestions? I'm using 3dsMax.

You have to apply a UVunwrap modifier, then map it accordingly, and place it on an unused portion of the tga.

You can copy that tga to the original. There can only be one tga file per kex, unless you work for KE.

I DL'd the B-1B Lancer... nice job BTW. I happen to have the Simulation/Settings/Physics/Automatic Reset Delay value of 3 seconds. Every time I drop the Lancer's ordinance, the plane resets just like as if I had hit the Red Button.

I would consider this a bug... RF7 thinks there was a crash when the detachable object releases. In contrast, a bomb released when the auto reset = 0 (or is turned off) does not reset the aircraft. It works correctly if auto-reset is turned off.

Not earth shaking, just an observation.

Last edited:
Ok, I have my mapping done...now when I export to *3ds, it says it renamed my *.tga file in the warning box. Well, when I convert that to a KEX file, then try to import to RF, it says it can't find the tga file. I even tried renaming the tga file to the name and that didn't work either. Anyone run into this before?

Back