How to create a new detachable item

Two questions. What are you exporting to .3ds? And How are you editing the .tga? Most everyone uses either Photoshop or gimp. Once the .tga is edited, you'll apply that to a material and apply that material to all mapped objects. You should not get a renaming message.

I am exporting the entire model (& preserving Max's texture coordinates) to 3ds. I used Gimp to edit the TGA, then did what you described below. I don't know why i'm getting the renaming message. Why would it rename it anyways?
This is the output warning I am getting:
Non 8.3 bitmap filename [Flyzone Sense.tga] has been renamed to [Flyzone .tga].

Last edited:
What is the exact naming you're trying to give your .tga? You may be using an unsupported character or something to that effect. Other than that, I really don't have any idea.

A quick google search of that error reveals that's going to happen when you export a 3ds file. You can either just export directly from your max file (without exporting as 3ds first), or rename your .tga in gimp a what max renames it. 3ds files must have less than 11 characters in the material name if I understand correctly.

I would consider this a bug... RF thinks there was a crash when the detachable object releases. In contrast, a bomb releases when the auto reset = 0 (is turned off) does not reset the aircraft.

Thanks, I filed a case. I can see why it would behave that way, but that's not how it should work.

Ok, got that fixed. Now, when I do 3ds2kex, it is cutting off some of my object names("~CS_RME_RO" instead of "CS_RME_ROD" and such) and its not even showing my ~CS_CHUTE in the visual mesh....

Your part names are shortened due to a limit on name length. As for the chute not showing, did you link it to the model in the hierarchy? You'll also have to assign a component frame to it in the editor to make it functional.

Well, I finally got the darn thing uploaded... and my parachute is ridiculously small... but it detaches and floats down...

A folding parachute like mwilson914 has would be perfect. I can't make mine much bigger or it will be seen outside the fuselage.

Also, my parachute is upside down... how do I fix that?
On a side note, I really appreciate all the help you have been giving me abaser :)

No problem. You might try either rotating the pivot 180 degrees in max, or maybe the model itself. How about a screenshot?

Back