How to enlarge a plane

rcflyer55

Is there a way to make a plane bigger?
On Phoenix I can do this but do not see a way of doing it on RF.
Also can I change the sound of a plane. Like making a glow plane sound like a gas plane?

Yes on all counts.

Via the editor.

You can adjust the visual scale ( how big the 3D model appears ) and the Physics scaling ( how the airplane flies as the size increases ) separately.

Note that adjusting the latter does NOT adjust all parameters for you.

Phoenix does not scale planes accurately as there are a lot of things that factor in.

In Realflight, the best way of adjusting scale is to resize the visual scale, then increase the physics scaling to match the visuals.

Then go in and adjust the weights of each component to correspond to the new scale and wing loading.

Finally define a new motor with the characteristics of the larger plane, and add a large prop and fuel tank.

In the same area you select an engine, you can choose a different sound.

You can also convert an electric plane to a glow or gas, or vice-versa by going to the root of the plane hierarchy and re-defining the plane "type". While there don't forget to also re-define the type of material the plane is constructed of.

The effective limit on sizing things is 200%.

To make the graphical part of the plane larger, you increase vehicle graphical scale. Once you make that larger, you can make the physics bigger (the part that makes the plane fly different) by going up to edit, then go to rescale physics too. Then choose a number that matches the graphical scale.

Last edited:
To make the graphical part of the plane larger, you increase vehicle graphical scale. Once you make that larger, you can make the physics bigger (the part that makes the plane fly different) by going up to edit, then go to rescale physics too. Then choose a number that matches the graphical scale.

No, doing that alone results in poor representations of the real world analogs.

I already gave him the correct answer.

I tried to change the value but the box is grey and I can not change it.

My goal is for the plane to appear bigger so it is easier to see.

I understand your thinking, but you have it somewhat backwards. The planes are the right size. They represent what you would see at the field. Sure you can buy a 30% piper cub, but most beginners will not fork out $4 or $5 thousand for a LARGE airplane.

So instead, do what everyone before you has done; learn to fly closer and not let the plane get away from you. In the long run you will be better served. Some people use the binocular gadget to see the plane all the time no matter what. You cannot buy that gadget in real life. This is perhaps the root cause of 90% of the crashes. A beginner let the plane fly so far away they could not see it.

Instead, just hit the red button get a new airplane and fly again. It does not cost a thing.

Also you can turn off "Keep ground in view" mode which is the default and zoom in completely.

The plane will be larger on the screen but you will not see the surrounding scenery.

Novices hate that, but it actually makes them better flyers, since they now have to keep a mental image of the position of the plane at all times relative to the ground that they can not see.

Thanks but I've been flying for 30 some years and I'm not learning to fly. I usually fly either my 35% or 40%.
I prefer larger planes & it seems like all the RF planes are small so I wanted to upscale them like I do on my Phoenix easily.

To scale the whole aircraft at the click of a button would require a certain degree of fakery in one place or another, which would make the whole simulation less realistic.

If you want the aircraft to appear larger on the screen, a better solution is to play with the camera and zoom settings. You should probably just zoom in a little farther to get the experience you desire. You could certainly enlarge the aircraft, but that will also change the way they fly, which presumably is not what you want.

That being the case with more information... Opjose has given you the best advice available. You have the vast majority of the work done for you... the visual model is complete, you need to scale up the physics and the weight measurements. You need to provide proper engine data... so while the task is not trivial, it is not that hard to do .... also you need to select 'Advanced' Display Properties and 'Advanced' control surface deflections.

We have a lot of the young people that like to make huge aircraft to fly in multiplayer... how am I to know?

Hello,
I know this is an old thread, but I am new to flight simulators and Real Flight 7.5.
I would like to resize several of the planes to match what I own, but without all of the specs how does one change the physics correctly? For instance I have an E-Flite P-51D "Dallas Doll" and would like to change the Flyzone AirCore to match.

Thanks,
GJS

Without going into it too much, make a copy of an existing model that is as close to your desired one as you can find. Then go over your real one with a tape measure/ruler to get all the dimensions. Review how Real Flight does it, first of course, and change the Standard entries (size/weight/position) in the aircraft editor to match your model. There are quite a lot, and you may be going back and forth between the two frequently. Get as close on weights as you can, some things you can weigh, some things you can accept as equivalent, some you will have to increase/decrease by proportion based on your models total weight vs the one in Real Flight. Of course, try to end up with a total the same as your model.
For advanced physics, initially assume that they will be the same, which they generally will be IF you picked as a base a plane that is pretty close in type/size/shape to your model.

Obviously, for these first tries, you'll have much better success if you don't get crazy in scaling things up or down. A Park Flyer scaled up to a 50cc would be MUCH harder to get right than going from a 50 inch wing to a 62 inch wing.

Doing that can give you a plane that mimics your model to a surprising extent. I've done it several times, and ended up with ones that fly just like the model, down to the funny quirks it may have. I've used them to figure out what fixes I may need to do to make the real one better - add weight, increase aileron area, etc. I've even done it when designing new planes before I actually build them - it's helped answer things like: Where should the stab be in relation to the wing? What happens if I increase/decrease dihedral? and on and on. All without having to tweak the advanced physics any (or much <grin>), as that area gets pretty deep pretty fast!

It is a bit of work to gather the data, and can call for a fair amount of "That seems about right", sometimes - but is pretty gratifying that it can prototype so well.

Last edited:
I would say that the best way is to just dive in... you will not hurt anything. If it is a stock plane... you cannot overwrite the settings. You make a copy and go to work. You have your aircraft so you can measure and weigh the parts close enough to use.

Select an engine in the proper size range as your own... from here on it is tinkering with various settings. Don't expect your first attempt to yield perfect results.

Look in the older version sections on this website for some good info on modifying aircraft physics. You will pretty much run into one guy that does a lot of the physics setups for planes here. He has written a how to.

Not to discourage editing.
BUT..Don't forget to check out the "Swap Pages". "Search", under "P-51", or "Mustang". There's Quiet a few! With retracts, and flaps.
Their editable also. Just make a copy, before editing,(for reference) and preserve the original. (Or just re-download to start over)
You may even find a closer match to your 42.8 inch, E-Flite P-51D "Dallas Doll"
Swap Page File Types: EA=Entire Aircraft, AV=Aircraft Variant, CS=Color Scheme,
AV and CS files, NEED the specified EA file, to be loaded, TO. On the download page, ALWAYS check the "Requires:", BEFORE, downloading. If you don't have the required EA for the AV, or, CS, get it. If the Required aircraft is in blue, and you don't have it, click it. That will take you to that download page.
Also check this edit. https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=265116&postcount=9

Last edited:
Thanks Flapper, 12oclockhigh, adrenoline 60,
I don't know enough about aerodynamics or the builder to make the changes your suggesting, but I will play with it. I did down load a few planes from the swap pages, but most don't fly well and again don't know enough to know why they don't fly well. But I will keep at it. Any other suggestions, youtubes or tutorials?

thanks
GJS

Oh stop being a worry wart... just dive in. Make changes, experiment and try things. You make changes on copies... if it does not go well, you start over.

If you have put together an ARF, programed a radio, and can measure and weigh, then you can do this. Learn by doing instead of worrying.

Or you could indicate a plane you are interested in (provide a link to the plane in the swaps pages), and maybe someone here would fiddle with it, make it fly better, and send it to you and you can compare via the editor and see what changes were made.

Almost every plane needs personal tweaking and there are some on here that are very good at that, but then what you get is what they like - maybe not what you like. But you can see what was tweaked.

Once you've done a few you'll get the hang of it.

Start with modifying stock aircraft. You can't break them. They have to be saved as a AV file so you will always have a original model to refer back to if you don't like what you did. That's how most people learn the editor. It's a powerful tool and allows you to make any aircraft fly any way you want. It doesn't take long to learn what does what and in a few hours or days you will know what you need to know. :) dive in!

If you get the graphical size and physics size right you have gone a long way.

Then move on to the aircraft's weight and the size of engine(s).

From there it is really just tweaking. You will see a lot of youngsters playing with giant planes in on-line sessions. If they can do it... you can too. I found out that it is not as hard as I thought.

Creating a new physics model from scratch... that is a bit intimidating... but you just look at what others have done and copy them.

Where do you resize the visual scale?

I just installed RF 7.5. I can change the physics scaling, but I can't find the visual scaling anywhere.

Answer: I changed my TX designation from Spektrum to Interlink, and when I went to the editor, there were more tabs and options, including Vehicle.

Last edited:
Back