How to fly and use the Simulator

Mkaz

I have Realflight G2 for several years and can fly (take off, some simple aerobatics and land) all of the planes.

What I can't figure out is how to use/fly the planes properly.
When 'Look at Ground' is active, I can orient myself in respect to the airfield and surroundings and most of the time can come in on a proper path for a landing. Since in this view the airplane does get very small, doing more than take-off and land is almost impossible.

When 'Look at airplane' is active the airplane is larger and zoomed in, but, since I don't see any of the surroundings, I am totally disoriented regarding the flight path in relevance to the airstrip, height and course. It's easier to do aerobatics this way but I can not come in for a landing (I don't know where the airstrip is).

I tried setting up an additional viewport that shows the plane in 'Look at ground' but this is too small and not helping. Also tried the other way round (main 'look at ground' and viewport zoomed, but this did not help either.

I tried different setups using the viewport options (zooming, etc) but nothing helped my to get an orientation.

The included recordings (training sessions) all show enlarged airplanes (enlarged by a factor) and zoomed in. Most of the lessons showing landings are a mystery to me. I can easily land but have no clue whatsoever how the recording was done since the instructor clearly did not see the airfield, only his zoomed in plane, and still managed to descend right in position for a landing.
Whenever I try to do the same I descend into a tree or crash into a hill or reach the ground with the airport way off.

Hope this explains my dilemma and hope somebody can explain a bit how to properly use the Sim.

Maybe a link to some 'normal' recording, just normally flying around, could help a bit. Most of the recordings I found show aerobatics and other difficult stuff but not basic Sim usage.

Thanks for any input,
Michael

Hi

There are trainer recordings in RF version 4, but that's quite a significant upgrade pricewise.

YouTube would be a great resource for flight instruction both on a sim and real life, but I too find mostly "hot dogging". Since RF 4 (maybe earlier versions too - I don't know) has recording capability, it too is a potentially great resouce for flight instruction, but the built-in recordings require you to have RF 4 to play them back.

Some folks record their sim sessions and then capture them with an external program for viewing outside of RF, but again not much in the area of training that I've found.

Good luck
Michael

Use the 'Keep ground in view' zoom position. Also a 19" or larger monitor. You don't need to max out the resolution in RF. In real life, you will also experience your plane getting too small to see when it is far away. It gets tough sometimes to determine by visuals, the orientation of your plane. A good way to overcome that is to practice moving your sticks, and seeing how the aircraft responds. This will tell you the orientation of the aircraft.

theluthier said:
Hi

There are trainer recordings in RF version 4, but that's quite a significant upgrade pricewise.

YouTube would be a great resource for flight instruction both on a sim and real life, but I too find mostly "hot dogging". Since RF 4 (maybe earlier versions too - I don't know) has recording capability, it too is a potentially great resouce for flight instruction, but the built-in recordings require you to have RF 4 to play them back.

Some folks record their sim sessions and then capture them with an external program for viewing outside of RF, but again not much in the area of training that I've found.

Good luck
Michael
Hi !
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Simulator

When 'Look at air plane' is active the air plane is larger and zoomed in, but, since I don't see any of the surroundings, I am totally disoriented regarding the flight path in relevance to the airstrip, height and course. It's easier to do aerobatics this way but I can not come in for a landing (I don't know where the airstrip is). I tried setting up an additional view port that shows the plane in 'Look at ground' but this is too small and not helping. Also tried the other way round (main 'look at ground' and view port zoomed, but this did not help either.

Back