How to get flaps to work and SAFE

SWAdude

Newbie here and to RF. Just downloaded 9.5.

I am using my DX8e with a doggle and two immediate problems I have.

I can't get my flaps to work. I got a e-flite V1200 for Xmas and would like to fly it on the sim using flaps and out of SAFE mode.

Crazy thing is at times the V1200 gets out of SAFE. I have no idea how or why.

Any tips would always be appreciated. I lean on the tech challenge side so I would also appreciate anything explained to me, the complete idiot. ?

Merry Christmas everyone!

I am having the same issue. I have the Spektrum 2000 dongle and a NX6. I can change safe modes using the keyboard shortcuts but not with my radio. I also can not get my flaps to change.

I'm going to answer your question as best I can, but first some caveats, or assumptions, that you should be aware of: (1) study the controller selection|setup in Rf9.5 (2) study the digital switch | channel selection sections of the DX8e (3) be willing to read the manuals for both Rf9.5, and the Spectrum DX8e. I cannot over emphasize this enough.
---
The software radio of Rf9.5 Sim (hereafter Sim) is setup with the flaps on channel 6, activated by default with a knob. What you need to do is set the DX8e switches and channels to get your SAFE select (B) and your Flaps (D) setup.
I make a model in my DX8G2 (the following should also work in the DX8e, or be close) called Generic Sim (SAFE). I set my SAFE select on AUX1, and set it to switch B. I inhibit my AUX2, and set my AUX3 channel to be AUX2 and put it on switch D. (big picture, details follow)
---
These are the detailed instructions following; first be aware that there are several ways to accomplish the same thing, and my solution is just one way... also you can accomplish an equivalent solution by adjusting the Sim or the DX8e. How you decide to do that is up to you, but is important because you must be consistent.
--- INSTRUCTIONS
(1). Use the Sim controller Spektrum Receiver (7+ch) selection in Rf9.5 under Simulation | Select Controler, and leave (use) the defaults for this setup.
We will setup the DX8e to match what the Sim expects.
(2). In the DX8e: AUX1 (B) safe select:
In the DX8e: AUX3->AUX2 (D) flaps:
---(assumed standard airplane model created)---
---( you can use the default Acro model )---
---( and rename it Generic Sim (SAFE) )---
(3). Select model -> Generic Sim (SAFE)
(4). Channel Assign
Rx Port Assignments
6:AUX1:Aux 1
7:AUX2:inhibit
8:AUX3:Aux 2
[next]
Channel Input Config
5 Gear: A
6 Aux1: B
7 Aux2: D
8 Aux3: RKnb (or whatever, inhibited)
(5). System Setup | Digital Switch Setup
Select (B)
Channel: Aux 1
Select (D)
Channel: Inhibit
This is a little confusing, but when
you try to set the channel for (D)
you will be directed to the channel
input config-- can verify 7 Aux2: D
6). <Main Screen>

At this point the Generic Sim (SAFE) model will be saved and can now be used with the Rf9.5 Sim, with the following caveats:
(1) most of the E-Flite planes (with SAFE) will work.
(2) most of the E-Flite planes (no SAFE) will work.
(3) some planes with flaps will work on (D), not all.

Again, keep in mind, you can setup your DX8 and use the eight channels any way you want to, there isn't just ONE right way. This way has worked for me, your mileage may vary (again, I have the latest DX8G2, latest firmware)

Also, I don't know if your DX8e has a knob? Cosmetic.
The big picture again is that the DX8 Aux1 (channel 6) is being used (B) for Sim SAFE select. The DX8 Aux2 (knob) is inhibited, and Aux3 ->Aux2 is being used (D) for flaps ( essentially channel 8 ). My DX8G2 has a physical knob on the aux channels that I'm not using on any channel (inhibited) since I use the knob for voice volume on the DX8G2 (DX8e doesn't have voice).

It should be possible to setup the Sim controller (Spektrum (7+ch) ) to accept what the DX8e is sending, by default, but I have not attempted that yet. Once I got my flaps and SAFE select to work I quit screwing around with it... :)

Hopefully, you'll be able to follow this enough to do what is necessary on your DX8e. If you have issues or other questions please let me know. Remember, nothing substitutes for reading the manuals.

marcus.

Last edited:
As for your plane coming out of SAFE for no reason; that cannot happen unless you have SAFE select enabled and you're bumping the switch. Normally you bind with SAFE, or not. If you bind with SAFE its on and stays on, if not then something is wrong in the receiver. Some planes have SAFE select (once bound) selectable based on firmware (you don't have to assign a switch, its built-in). An example is the Apprentice STS. Some planes you must assign a switch for SAFE select, once you bind in SAFE mode. An example is the Carbon Z Cub SS; after the bind with SAFE, the desired switch is toggled (5) times to set the SAFE select option. Keep in mind, most planes with SAFE and|or AS3X must be sitting up-right and level to setup SAFE and bind. Once bind mode is set (and on) you can check it by rolling or pitching the plane by hand (have the prop off) and watch the control surfaces; they will move automagically to try to correct for your roll pitch ...
Read your manual that came with the plane; it will have special instructions for binding with SAFE on, and for setting SAFE select if equipped. On the Sim its just easy. for E-Flite planes that have SAFE, select is on (B) position 0 is SAFE, position 2 & 3 are AS3X. Use your Display Modes ( Zero 0 ) to show the SAFE | AS3X options in response to your switch (B) on the Sim.
Contact Spektrum, or Horizon Hobby, etc ( wherever you purchased your plane ) and report the issue with SAFE|bind failure. They may have ideas, helps, or replacements... no promises... I have found them to be very friendly and with Service as a high priority.

marcus

Last edited:
I'm going to answer your question as best I can, but first some caveats, or assumptions, that you should be aware of: (1) study the controller selection|setup in Rf9.5 (2) study the digital switch | channel selection sections of the DX8e (3) be willing to read the manuals for both Rf9.5, and the Spectrum DX8e. I cannot over emphasize this enough.
---
The software radio of Rf9.5 Sim (hereafter Sim) is setup with the flaps on channel 6, activated by default with a knob. What you need to do is set the DX8e switches and channels to get your SAFE select (B) and your Flaps (D) setup.
I make a model in my DX8G2 (the following should also work in the DX8e, or be close) called Generic Sim (SAFE). I set my SAFE select on AUX1, and set it to switch B. I inhibit my AUX2, and set my AUX3 channel to be AUX2 and put it on switch D. (big picture, details follow)
---
These are the detailed instructions following; first be aware that there are several ways to accomplish the same thing, and my solution is just one way... also you can accomplish an equivalent solution by adjusting the Sim or the DX8e. How you decide to do that is up to you, but is important because you must be consistent.
--- INSTRUCTIONS
(1). Use the Sim controller Spektrum Receiver (7+ch) selection in Rf9.5 under Simulation | Select Controler, and leave (use) the defaults for this setup.
We will setup the DX8e to match what the Sim expects.
(2). In the DX8e: AUX1 (B) safe select:
In the DX8e: AUX3->AUX2 (D) flaps:
---(assumed standard airplane model created)---
---( you can use the default Acro model )---
---( and rename it Generic Sim (SAFE) )---
(3). Select model -> Generic Sim (SAFE)
(4). Channel Assign
Rx Port Assignments
6:AUX1:Aux 1
7:AUX2:inhibit
8:AUX3:Aux 2
[next]
Channel Input Config
5 Gear: A
6 Aux1: B
7 Aux2: D
8 Aux3: RKnb (or whatever, inhibited)
(5). System Setup | Digital Switch Setup
Select (B)
Channel: Aux 1
Select (D)
Channel: Inhibit
This is a little confusing, but when
you try to set the channel for (D)
you will be directed to the channel
input config-- can verify 7 Aux2: D
6). <Main Screen>

At this point the Generic Sim (SAFE) model will be saved and can now be used with the Rf9.5 Sim, with the following caveats:
(1) most of the E-Flite planes (with SAFE) will work.
(2) most of the E-Flite planes (no SAFE) will work.
(3) some planes with flaps will work on (D), not all.

Again, keep in mind, you can setup your DX8 and use the eight channels any way you want to, there isn't just ONE right way. This way has worked for me, your mileage may vary (again, I have the latest DX8G2, latest firmware)

Also, I don't know if your DX8e has a knob? Cosmetic.
The big picture again is that the DX8 Aux1 (channel 6) is being used (B) for Sim SAFE select. The DX8 Aux2 (knob) is inhibited, and Aux3 ->Aux2 is being used (D) for flaps ( essentially channel 8 ). My DX8G2 has a physical knob on the aux channels that I'm not using on any channel (inhibited) since I use the knob for voice volume on the DX8G2 (DX8e doesn't have voice).

It should be possible to setup the Sim controller (Spektrum (7+ch) ) to accept what the DX8e is sending, by default, but I have not attempted that yet. Once I got my flaps and SAFE select to work I quit screwing around with it... :)

Hopefully, you'll be able to follow this enough to do what is necessary on your DX8e. If you have issues or other questions please let me know. Remember, nothing substitutes for reading the manuals.

marcus.
Sir, first I thank you for the time and effort you have put into helping folks with these problems. If you are still there to help out, I could desperately use some! I follow much of what you are saying, but I am lost on my setup. I have Realflight Revolution; DX9 (and, or NX10se), WS2000 dongle. No matter what I do, I cannot get the flaps to work unless I assign the flaps to channel 8. However, it appears channel 8 is controlling Flight Mode ( and SAFE I think). In short, I cannot turn off SAFE (or control it) and get the flaps to work. All of my Eflight planes have the flaps on switch B, and Flight Mode/SAFE and ES3X settings on Switch D. If possible, I would love to keep this configuration in order to develop muscle memory that translates to the "field". I would be willing to live with any configuration that allows me to have full function of SAFE, flaps, gear, expo etc. Any help you can offer is appreciated more than I can say! Thank you again. Dale

Sounds like there might be a little confusion coming from the fact that RealFlight assigns things to virtual channels that have different numbers from the channels on your Spektrum radios.

First, you should set up your radio the usual way. Flaps will be on Aux1 (channel 6), and since you have enough channels, the flight mode control switch should be on Aux2 (channel 7) or even higher. Then you need to set up the Controller Profile in RealFight to map your radio channels to RF channel numbers. Flaps are on RealFlight Channel 6 and Flight Mode is on RealFlight Channel 8.

I have a full writeup here on how to set up the WS1000 and 2000 with RF.

For what it's worth, the WS dongles are limited to eight channels, even if your radio has more. If you set up your NX10SE via USB, you can use all 10 channels on it. I have a writeup for that as well if you don't mind being wired to the comptuer.

Sounds like there might be a little confusion coming from the fact that RealFlight assigns things to virtual channels that have different numbers from the channels on your Spektrum radios.

First, you should set up your radio the usual way. Flaps will be on Aux1 (channel 6), and since you have enough channels, the flight mode control switch should be on Aux2 (channel 7) or even higher. Then you need to set up the Controller Profile in RealFight to map your radio channels to RF channel numbers. Flaps are on RealFlight Channel 6 and Flight Mode is on RealFlight Channel 8.

For what it's worth, the WS dongles are limited to eight channels, even if your radio has more. If you set up your NX10SE via USB, you can use all 10 channels on it. I have a writeup for that as well if you don't mind being wired to the comptuer.
This will definitely provide me with enough pieces of the puzzle to work on it for a bit. It has been a frustrating endeavor thus far! I got this program right after I installed Aerofly RC9 on my Mac M1. AF set the bar pretty high for a sim that works perfectly first time. This RF program for sure takes more smarts and know how. But thanks to decent, unselfish folks like yourself, I will waddle through it. The military did some how manage to teach me to fly real aircraft for 35 years, maybe I can actually learn this program! Sorry I didn't know about your previous post on the subject. Thank you so much. Dale

I followed your instructions, and it appears this is working better. I can't thank you enough. Is it possible to change the switches on the DX or NX radios? Switch E for flaps and switch D for gear is so foreign to how I have these planes set up in the field. If not - oh well. Thanks!

Yes, set up the radio however you like. Just use the Channel Assign function on the System Setup menu to move the radio channels to different switches.

Mr flightengr, Your help has been invaluable. I have most kinks worked out thanks to you. One big problem I cannot fix. I have been trying for hours to get the gear to work in RF. I set everything as indicated. Transmitter settings: Channels 1-4 per default (no problems); Channel 5 - gear switch A; 6 Aux1 switch B; 7 Aux2 switch (Fmode) ; 8 Aux 3 switch C. Everything works ok in RF except the gear. In the controller edit function in RF, when I use the "select switch" function to assign the gear to transmitter switch A and then cycle A, I get a corresponding response in the edit function indicating switch A is controlling the Y rotation just as you would expect. All indications are that the mapping and channel assignment is correct. Absolutely nothing I do will cause the gear to cycle. I have checked and rechecked the channel assignments and mapping. I have calibrated and recalibrated. I am so lost. And I cannot thank you enough for all your help! Dale.

Planes in RealFlight have the retracts associated with RealFlight Channel 7 - Smoke.

Sounds like you're using a WS1000/2000, in which case you want to map Y Rotation to that Channel 7 - Smoke channel in the Controller Profile. If you're using the USB connection to your NX, then you want to map Dial to that Channel 7 - Smoke channel.

Planes in RealFlight have the retracts associated with RealFlight Channel 7 - Smoke.

Sounds like you're using a WS1000/2000, in which case you want to map Y Rotation to that Channel 7 - Smoke channel in the Controller Profile. If you're using the USB connection to your NX, then you want to map Dial to that Channel 7 - Smoke channel.
You are awesome. Strange, I thought about that in the middle of the night because one of the planes I was flying had the smoke feature working - when I never did anything with smoke (that I know of). I think I might get that to work. So, do I leave the settings in the NX10 the same: 5 -Gear (A)? I really hope to nail this down and not get so frustrated that I bug you anymore. If you ever get to our neck of the woods, I owe you a nice steak dinner. Thank you!

Dear Sir, I am now carefully reading your instructions on programming AR636 receivers. There is something very confusing in the instructions. Would be so kind as to point me in the right direction for the correct thread where my question might be answered? Thank you again for everything. Dale

Back