How to get separate aileron channels on RF?

bob_nj

I'm trying to use mu iX12 for the first time with RF.
For the most part, everything is working, but I can't figure out how to get more than one aileron channel.
I'd like to use this for Reflex (Spoilerons)

I'm not using the software radio at all in RF and have everything set up in the transmitter.
I have two channels for ailerons in the transmitter, and the wing type is dual aileron.

I'm missing something and can't figure out what.

Thanks for any help
Bob

[using] mu iX12 for the first time with RF.
For the most part, everything is working, but I can't figure out how to get more than one aileron channel.
I'd like to use this for Reflex (Spoilerons)
I'm not using the software radio at all in RF and have everything set up in the transmitter.
I have two channels for ailerons in the transmitter, and the wing type is dual aileron.
The simple answer is you can't, it doesn't work.

The Rf input channel (1) is the aileron channel; its hard-coded in all the Radio Profiles and has no user interface "way" to change it.

That said, some of the planes have "spoilerons"; particularly the RF 97 Sailplane (and others). The spoilerons are on the throttle channel as a software mix, but the left-right aspect of the spoileron motion is still controlled by a single input channel (1).

Most 'real' models are setup this way too. My Cub, for instance, can have full wing ailerons, or spoilerons too, but a special harness is required to make this happen; however, although the wing has separate servos for left and right, the receiver is setup for single center control on a single aileron channel. The thought is almost universal that using two channels to do what one channel does quite well is a waste of a precious channel. Almost all E-Flite or Hangar 9 planes use a standard wing with a 'single' center aileron channel, even if the wing has separate servos.

marcus

Can you elaborate to the "Wrong" part?

If I can't have separate aileron channels, is there a way I can set up "Flaps" (Spoilerons) on a switch then?

Thanks
Bob

Go to swap pages and advanced search for crow.
The 'crow' is what I was alluding to in my first response... RF 97 Sailplane (and others) use the 'crow' (spoilerons) but that is not what the OP is asking for. Perhaps you might be helpful and advise the OP how to setup separate aileron channels ( a left channel, and a right channel ), which Radio Profile inputs to use ??

marcus

Same bob_nj as on RCGroups? I'm "sandet01" over there....

I don't speak Spektrum, but essentially you have to make sure in the controller configuration screen that the two aileron output channels from your TX are mapped to two proportional input channels in the controller screen. And enable the "Software Radio".
Then you have to make a copy of the subject airplane, and edit the "Software Radio" in the Airplane Editor so that each channel from the Controller goes to the correct servo. If the model only has one aileron servo, then you have to go a bit deeper in the editor to add one to each aileron.
Then you can use mixing on your radio to add in the additional function to raise each aileron, as desired. And mix in elevator, using the radio, if needed when using the spoilerons.
It will take some study to get the sense of the chain of events, and some trial and error.
And, since your Controller settings in RF are customized, you may find that some other function in RF or a specific model do not work as expected - all depends on what second aileron channel you used, and what the stock airplane is expecting.

Nice to hear from you sandet01.
For not speaking Spektrum, you sure are a bundle of information over there.
I find that interesting.
What platform DO you speak then?

I chose not to use the software radio in RF because I didn't want to lose any other functions I set up
like K/E mixing, throttle cut, triple rates etc.
I'll play around with it and see how I make out.

I'm new to the iX12 and want to get the feel of it while the weather is not flyable to be better
acquainted with radio when I actually do get to the field.

Thanks so much.
You're the best!

Take care
Bob

I chose not to use the software radio in RF because I didn't want to lose any other functions I set up
hi Bob,
I'm an unapologetic Spektrum fanboy; so happy to talk Spektrum configs. When I told you there is no 'user interface' way to handle your request, Flapper's answer is the only real alternative, and it isn't an easy approach, because it isn't an easy interface. The reason I mention the spoilerons on the Rf 97 Sailplane (and others) is so that you can study that model, and the software radio, to figure out your own mix; however, as you'll discover, there is no all around solution to this kind of thing (one way or the other) you're going to have trade-offs. The limits are not the iX12, the limits are RealFlight9.

marcus

If you have 2 aileron servos then why not use 2 channels? I don't speak Spektrum either - just Multiplex and, now, OpenTx via Frsky usually. Both systems offer 100% flexibility to the user to specify any servo to any channel or mix. All the real life models I build have separate aileron servos and as often as not (ie always) have aileron differential set. I start with twice as much up as down because it limits adverse yaw and improves handling.

I first did it on an 82" ws ARTF low wing pseudo 30s style racer with a 26cc Zenoah petrol engine which needed lots of rudder in turns. Programming aileron differential made it a total pussycat to fly - even one-handed (mode 2) :)

The Li'l Cub STOL I'm currently building will have a channel for each flap and aileron. With an 8 channel receiver, why not?

No idea how you'd do it on RF, though.

Geoff

Thanks for the reply.
I do have two channels in the transmitter, and I can see them working in the transmitter monitor.
Just no way to split them up in Real Flight.

That's possible with the software radio which I am not using, but will experiment with when I get a minute.

Thanks
Bob

You have 8 channels to play with. You can do this without an Interlink radio. Pass the channels and assign the channels in the radio profile. Then you modify the aircraft. This radio profile will only be used when you want to use this feature. In the radio setup a 2 servo wing setup. You will then modify the RealFlight aircraft to use the channels for each aileron.

Nice to hear from you sandet01.
For not speaking Spektrum, you sure are a bundle of information over there.
I find that interesting.

I'll play around with it and see how I make out.

I'm new to the iX12 and want to get the feel of it while the weather is not flyable to be better
acquainted with radio when I actually do get to the field.

Thanks so much.
You're the best!

Take care
Bob

I have experience with (in order) F&M Electronics, Royal, Kraft, Ace Silver Seven, Ace Micropro, Ace MicroStar (a homebuilt variant), Futaba, and now various OpenTX. A tiny bit of very early Airtronics, JR, and Hitec.....

Unfortunately, RealFlight is like setting up the Aura - it really wants to be in control of radio functions, and to treat your TX as just a big dumb box. Maybe someday, now that they are all under the same ownership umbrella, there will be straight integration of Spektrum. But that makes problems with all of us "other" system owners out there, including the packaged dumb Interlink, so not any easy solution.

So you've been around awhile.
I also did a lot of business with ACE back in the day.
They were Awesome!
I remember calling there and actually speaking with a technician.
Go figure.

Had a bunch of their planes, and lots of the pots and wipers back when we had to replace them
occasionally.
Giezendiener wipers or something like that.
Can't remember the exact spelling.
That's when we had to unsolder and solder to reverse a servo too.
Man, those were the days!

I also had the Silver 7 when it first came out, and the MicroPro which in my opinion was ahead of it's time.
That was a neat radio.

As you know, I recently migrated from OpenTx/Taranis too.

Thanks for all of your help on all of the boards.
I'm going to spend some time with the iX12 and RealFlight and see where I end up.
I may have more questions, so hold on to your hat!

Take care
Bob

I suppose you can set up expo on your non-Spektrum transmitter because RF 9.5 wouldn't know if the rate of stick movement it's seeing is caused by the operators stick movement or the electronics in the transmitter. I don't have proper control of my right hand because of a spinal injury (why I opted for Mode 2 in my ignorance when I started RC after retirement, I'll never know!) so I tend to apply expo on aileron and elevator to reduce the coupling. That helps in RL flying but I'm coping OK without when the cost of failing is so slight in RF 9.5 :)

Geoff

I suppose you can set up expo on your non-Spektrum transmitter because RF 9.5 wouldn't know if the rate of stick movement it's seeing is caused by the operators stick movement or the electronics in the transmitter.
His transmitter ( iX12 ) is a Spektrum transmitter... but you are correct to say that the receiver only sees the output number, and has no way of knowing how that number is produced... so D/R Expo can be applied on the transmitter side via electronics (the typical way to do it with the dongle) and the receiver (WS1000|WS2000) could care less.

marcus

Hello again guys.
I mulled over my options and came to a decision based on your recommendations.
I'm thinking of putting RF9.5 on my machine and be done with it.

So,
I'm looking on STEAM.
Don't fully understand the concept, or the site, BUT
Per the attached file, it looks like for $99 I can get what I want.

There are little to no details on if the $99 is a download, or a CD.
Can someone help me with that?

Also, can someone elaborate on these two statements,

Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: Knife Edge Online Activation

AND,

Requires agreement to a 3rd-party EULA
RealFlight 9 EULA

Thanks again for any help
Bob

There are little to no details on if the $99 is a download, or a CD.
Can someone help me with that?
STEAM is a software gaming distribution site, produced and managed by Valve. They do provide many titles these days including RealFlight9; it is a software download, not a CD.

Third party DRM means that someone (KnifeEdge, Horizon Hobby) provides some form of lock|unlock mechanism (an activation code in this case) in order to use the title from STEAM. If its important for you to have the Disk, you can purchase the RealFlight9 (without InterlinkDX) on Disk directly from HH. Sometimes this is cheaper, if there is a sale|special, etc.

If you have a good Internet connection downloading from Valve|STEAM is a good option. If your Internet connection is slow the DVD option on Disk might be better for you.

You will need to register the product with HH and get an activation code, in any case. Lots of folks have downloaded from STEAM, without troubles. The folks who have troubles usually have an issue with their 3rd party AV software flagging the software as malware. Sometimes the AV software needs to be deactivated in order to download from STEAM and install; then reactivate the AV.

marcus

Back