How to retire an old copy of RF Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Wow... I dug up an original software CD, and wonder what to do with it. I have the one that has the adapter to plug into a real transmitter... I'm thinking it's probably no good, since it's been discontinued. I actually gave away a copy of RF G3 to my brother when I upgraded to G4. But this old copy...

I'm kind of entertaining the option of just sending it through the CD shredder. :eek: Any ideas???

Patman said:
Wow... I dug up an original software CD, and wonder what to do with it. I have the one that has the adapter to plug into a real transmitter... I'm thinking it's probably no good, since it's been discontinued. I actually gave away a copy of RF G3 to my brother when I upgraded to G4. But this old copy...

I'm kind of entertaining the option of just sending it through the CD shredder. :eek: Any ideas???

I enjoy making clocks out of old CD's. the Parts can be bought cheap allmost any place. This way while you are playing the New G5 :D and want to know what time it is.... Bamb its there on your wall next to your computer.

My third computer was a Tandy 1000 with a 10 Meg a byte external Hard disk as big as a shoe box. The computer is long sense gone but the 10 Meg a byte HD is a clock on my computer disk. That darn clock cost me $900 dollars back them :eek:

Last edited:
Patman said:

You could put it up on the RCGroups classifieds forum, there's a good chance someone will take it off of your hands.

I enjoy making clocks out of old CD's. the Parts can be bought cheap allmost any place. This way while you are playing the New G5 and want to know what time it is.... Bamb its there on your wall next to your computer.

My third computer was a Tandy 1000 with a 10 Meg a byte external Hard disk as big as a shoe box. The computer is long sense gone but the 10 Meg a byte HD is a clock on my computer disk. That darn clock cost me $900 dollars back them

Wow! That Tandy 1000 is a classic. I remember those things. That 10MB drive was probably huge for it's time. I had an external modem and also a buffer in between and used to dial up to bulletin boards before the internet. I didn't really know what I was doing, but it was pretty amazing that another computer would answer. I had a sort of newspaper with phone numbers to bulletin boards. You would type HTTP// and then a phone number. It was all ASCII... Later on, a service called Prodigy came out that had a sort of GUI.. It was all in Hercules Monochrome. Then AOL came out a few years later. Ahhh, the dawn of the internet.

thoese where the slow old days....

Ya Patman

I been there and done that. I remember when I just entered the Air Force some one had a Commodore 64 sx ( portable ) and I watched in amazement as he logged in to a BBS at 24 bps Not the 24 KBPS some will remember but 24 bps. You could watch each sprite draw on the screen to make that simple ANSI graphics menu for the BBS. I liked the ideal so much that when I returned from England 7 years later I set up a BBS of my own with 4 IMB PS2 30 , an IBM SX 55, two 1400 and two 2800 modems, what fun Man if I was to list all the hard ware that I tossed because it was out dated it would boggle most of the peoples mind out there. The two things I saved that I love is that First HD clock I made and a working Commodore 64 sx I bought second hand in 1987

Or you could keep it and use it as a conversation piece for when your field buddies come over for beers. Then you can prove that you remember when a sim only needed 30 MB of hard drive space, 16 MB of RAM and a video card with 4 MB of dedicated memory. :)

There are a lot of people with older computers who would love to have it. Any SIM is better than NO sim !

Put it up for free in a forum. Ask the person to pay shipping and its theirs.

This is a hobby that is great for SHARING, and even "hand-me-downs" are appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back