How to Setup DX8G2 for Use with WS2000 Dongle Part II (helicopters)

marcushh777

How to Setup DX8G2 for WS2000 Dongle Part II (helicopter)

Overview:

In this Part II I am assuming you have a functioning "Gen Plane Sim II" controller Radio Profile (in the Sim) and a functioning DX8G2 model "Gen Plane Sim II" which has tested true. This is important, because the helicopter (heli hereafter) model is based-on and 'very' close to the airplane model; in fact the difference is almost subtle.

First some theory: the heli does not use throttle cut, it uses throttle hold (which are completely different).
The heli's throttle is actually on switch (B), not directly on the gimbal; but, it is 'tied' to the gimbal on a curve we'll talk about later. This happens in software mix in the Sim controller. The gimbal is primarily the heli collective, and it has both positive and negative pitch (something a real heli does not have!)

The throttle on switch (B) is generally a three position idle-up curve: 0-normal, 1-idleup, 2-idleup2. The normal startup is as follows:

(1) throttle hold switch (H) 'up' ON
(2) idle up switch (B) pos 0
(3) collective|throttle gimbal full negative pitch (back)

The above is the 'safety' setting in preparation for start.

Run-up, lift, and hover:

(1) position collective|throttle gimbal at half (just slightly less than half)

(2) position idle-up switch (B) pos 1

(3) throw throttle hold switch (H) 'down' OFF

The Engine and Rotor will START

WAIT ( the rotor will idle-up and stabilize RPM )

(4) Gently lift the collective (advance the gimbal) and the craft will lift off. Now, balance the heli using the cyclic... this is not easy; practice this hover for hours... its the heli pilot's "touch and go".

Enough theory.
-----------------------------------------------------

To get the heli model working we need to copy our working controller Radio Profile, and we need to copy our working airplane model. (we'll rename them)

(1) Save your "Gen Plane Sim II" Radio Profile (in Sim) as "Gen Heli Sim II" ; we'll modify it slightly later.

(2) Use the Model Utilities of your DX8G2 to copy the Gen Plane Sim II model (in DX8G2) to the next available memory slot and rename the copy "Gen Heli Sim II". Don't be concerned that its NOT a helicopter model in the DX8G2; remember, we're making an input device for the Sim controller, not actually controlling a swash-plate!
So, the picture will remain an airplane...

(3) Next, we will modify the DX8G2 model "Gen Heli Sim II" by turning off Throttle Cut (if you activated it earlier) and by changing the switch assigned to channel port Aux2 from switch (C), to switch (H). Switch (H) is the standard throttle hold switch generally.

(4) If you set previously DR|Expo settings for the axis in the DX8G2 using switches C, F, and G, great! they will work on the flight axis of the heli cyclic too! ... and the tail rotor. Just leave them alone... as an option you can setup DR|Expo on your heli model any time you wish; completely optional. But, hint, the Trex will require it.

(5) BIND the Gen Heli Sim II model (DX8G2) to the WS2000 receiver, so that it is connected to the Sim and active. This is important to make the following step (6) changes.

(6) Now, modify your Gen Heli Sim II sim controller Radio Profile by doing the following two things in the Select Controller Editor:

1. uncheck (far right of the editor page) the controller channel 5 to deactivate it.

2. scroll down and find the controller channel (9) Throttle Hold (correctly labeled) and click the long bar next to it currently marked Unassigned; then, when the switch dialogue appears toggle your (H) key (DX8G2) to set Aux2 (H) as the input channel for the controller channel (9) Throttle Hold. Don't be concerned that it calls the switch a slider... part of this whole bug.

(7) Save your changes and close the editor.

Your DX8G2 heli model should now work fine for most of the helis in Rf9.5 Sim. Best of luck hovering.

I like to use the Flight School airport|field to practice my hovering and cross country; 3D as well. I find the Blade Fusion 480 to be a good entry-level heli to learn on; although, I must admit I've destroyed about 95 Blade Fusion 480s till I learned to hover and fly. Better to destroy them in the Sim, than at the field ! The Blade 230 S V2 is quite good too; this model has the modes on switch (B) for beginner, intermediate, agility.

It is possible to idle-up in any of the switch (B) positions ( normal, idle 1, idle 2 ) but most folks use idle 1. I practice with all three. Remember, small moves; its important in planes, even more so in helis.

PS edit: when you switch between your airplane model, and your heli model, (because you're using the same WS2000 receiver) you will need to reBIND every time you swap over. An expensive way around this is to get another WS2000 receiver dongle and dedicate one of them to the airplane, and the other one to the heli. I didn't do this, because I don't find the BIND process a pain... and, you have to unplug the dongle in any case. The other thing is that it keeps a pilot fresh on the BIND concept; its just good practice. As a side-bar, one of the advantages of the Interlink DX controller is no BINDing; nor reBINDing. On the other hand, the DX8G2 has NO wires.

PSS edit: Again, please let me know if this is helpful, if you find errors or omissions, and if you have questions or suggestions.

peace.

marcus

Attachments

• WS2000 Heli Profiles DX8G2.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
greetings,

For completeness sake, I made one more small change to my "Gen Heli Sim II" model in the DX8G2; I set the (I) switch|button to the Aux3 port. In the Sim Select Controller Editor I then set my Aux3 (I) input to the controller's channel (12) (not labeled correctly) which is the Sim panic button. If you use the Blade 230 S V2 heli (very good beginner starter) the modes (0) panel contains: ( beginner 0, intermediate (1), agility (2), & panic ). If things go awry, just press your 'panic' button and it instantly straightens out and levels off (the actual real model has the same options).

You can also set the Aux3 (I) button to the Sim Radio Profile as 'reset'. The 'reset' isn't a channel per se, but is a controller switch listed at the bottom of the editor (scroll down); the 'reset' allows rewind|play in the Sim. From a crash point, you can hold the 'reset' to rewind what led up to the crash and then continue hopefully avoiding the crash.

marcus

Greetings,
I have attached a compressed zip folder containing the profiles necessary to attach the DX8G2 to the WS2000 for generic helicopter support.

The zip folder contains the following two files:

Spektrum WS2000 (Gen Heli Sim II).radioprofile
... this is the Sim controller radio profile: folder: ~/Documents/RealFilght 9/Radio Profiles/

007~7 Gen Heli Sim II.SPM
... this is the DX8G2 model (7) which may be imported to the DX8G2

Both files are required. With these files you can get your helis working with your DX8G2 and the WS2000 dongle without having to do the programming yourself. The radio profile is placed into the appropriate Sim folder on your PC, and the DX8 model is imported using the DX8G2 Transport SD Card utility under model System Setup.

Once the files are installed you will need to select the controller radio profile with the Sim Select Controller option, and you will need to select the model on your DX8G2 and then BIND your DX8 to the W2000 receiver... then you're good to fly !

PS edit: CAUTION... I exported the model as model 007~7; be careful when you import that you don't over-write an existing model (7). You'll need to import the model appropriately to match your current setup on the DX8G2... measure twice, cut once.

PSS edit: DX8G2 import|export can be accomplished with an SD card, or with the programming cable. If you have questions please ask, or you can reference the DX8G2 doc.

marcus

Attachments

• WS2000 Heli Profiles DX8G2.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back