How to use the DirectX 9 version of RealFlight Evolution

Jeremy Babbar-Sebens

Administrator
Staff member
RealFlight Evolution was recently updated to use DirectX 11, a modern graphics library that is required by many newer computers.

However, some older computers may not support DirectX 11, so we are providing a way to run the final DirectX 9 version for those users. Note that this version will not be updated to support new DLC and software fixes. It is provided as a courtesy only.

To switch to this version, you will need to join the "directx9_deprecated" beta branch on Steam. To do so:
  1. Right click on "RealFlight Evolution" in your Steam Library.
  2. Select "Properties"
    1700012158314.png
  3. In the Properties dialog, click the "Betas" tab
    1700012183408.png
  4. In the Beta Participation list, click "directx9_deprecated"
    1700012213837.png
  5. RealFlight Evolution will undergo an update to switch to the beta branch.
    1700012229517.png
  6. Launch RealFlight Evolution. You should now be running the DirectX 9 version.
If you upgrade your computer to be DirectX 11 capable, you can switch back to the main branch by using the previous steps, but selecting "none" for your beta.

Note that this setting is per-computer, not per-account. Even if you need to use "directx9-deprecated" on your old computer, you can still use DirectX 11 on your new one.

Last edited:
This does not work for me, it still requires me the enter a beta access code but none is provided. I have just wasted my money on the whole RealFlight thing, thanks to "progress", I prefer the old program which worked well for years.

@Swoose2, it sounds like you need to restart your Steam client and make sure it is not in offline mode so that it becomes aware of the new beta branch.

It isn't necessarily obvious that just clicking the 'X' in the upper-right corner does not in fact close Steam all the way. It continues running in the background unless told explicitly to exit. There are two ways you can do that:
  1. By choosing Exit from the Steam main menu:
    1700511629211.png
  2. By right-clicking the Steam icon in your Windows system tray and selecting Exit. (You may need to click the arrow, circled, to expand the icons before Steam will be visible.
    1700511983854.png

This does not work for me, it still requires me the enter a beta access code but none is provided. I have just wasted my money on the whole RealFlight thing, thanks to "progress", I prefer the old program which worked well for years.
There is no "Beta Access Code" needed, (circled yellow) after you have selected the beta you require, simply hit the X in the top right of the beta select screen.
See attached picture.Evo beta code.jpg

Back