How would I set up my RadioMasterTX16S on Evolution?

JohnSR

Got a question for you guys. I've been using the Interlink DX with USB to run RF Evolution. Problem is that with the DX plugged into the PC, it won't go to sleep, so I have to unplug it after every use.
Would my RadioMasterTX16s work with the dongle? Maybe that would not cause the PC to always stay awake. Anyone have any experience doing this, or advise not to?
thanks,
John

It will work with USB or with the dongle. The dongle limits you to 8 ch, though, so not too many options. Search here for all the variations - 16s, Edge, OpenTX, Taranis, etc. - there has been a LOT of how-to, and all the flavors work the same way.

Life is going to be easier with the InterLink DX and RF. That's because all of the switches and everything just work without doing a lot of setup on the controller and RF.

The gist of making any controller work with the USB receiver is to set up a simple model first for aileron, elevator, throttle, and rudder. Then assign channels 5-8 to any other switches or inputs you'd like to use. Then on the RF side, you edit the Controller Profile such that each channel on your transmitter maps to a virtual RealFlight channel to control the functions of the simulated aircraft.

Your TX16S will also work via USB, and that would give you all 16 channels to use. Turning off the TX16S should make the controller disappear from Windows and probably get around the sleep problem. Process is the same as the USB receiver, except you have more channels at your disposal. For a little more detail, see a post I just put on RCGroups yesterday on this subject.

Finally, you could certainly just turn the PC off with the InterLink DX plugged in. These days, Windows takes no time at all to boot, even from a cold start. Sleep can always make strange things happen when programs or hardware doesn't quite wake up to the same place it was in when it went to sleep.

With regard to "no sleep" - my InterLink-X is a little unpredictable, sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. But if I manually lock the screen by pressing "Windows+L" when I walk away, it seems to sleep pretty quickly - much sooner than the timeout I have set in Windows power options. I don't know if it will work with the DX like it does with my X, but you might want to try it. I'm running Win10, & don't know whether it would be the same under Win11. My CPU is a 4th gen i7 & doesn't have TPM2.0. I could get around those limitations to allow Win11 to install, but I like Win10, so I haven't bothered.

Sleep can always make strange things happen when programs or hardware doesn't quite wake up to the same place it was in when it went to sleep.
That's true. If RF is running when I lock the screen, I sometimes have to shut down RF & reload it to get my -X to work again. That's another thing that seems to be unpredictable.

Wow! you guys have all been so knowledgeable and helpful! I have several options now to look into. Many, many thanks to all who responded.

Apparently this has been an issue for many game controllers and Windows for decades.
Micro voltages from the controller are just enough to make the computer think things are still active, so it never sleeps.

Supposedly, recent updates to Win 11 have resolved, but....

Here's one older description of things to try, but it does get pretty deep into the details:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...s are recognized,wake trigger from the device.

Google "joystick interferes with sleep mode" for many, many more things to try.....

Back