Hughes XF-11 build

willsonman

Not a request but I figure I have put off this kind of project long enough. I've always wanted to do a twin. This one will have contra props. Its a pretty subject and reference material is scarce. the pictures listed below are the best views I have to go off of. Cheer me on. I think I may need the encouragement.

Attachments

• 3-View-Hughes-XF-11.jpg
    3-View-Hughes-XF-11.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Hughes-XF-11-Callout.jpg
    Hughes-XF-11-Callout.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 22
banana.gif
C'mon willsonman! You can do it!!
banana.gif

I'm very happy to see you working on something. I'll be watching.
popcorn-1.gif

I have a sound file for the P&W R-4360 that has not been released. If you decide you want to use it let me know.

Last edited:
banana.gif
C'mon willsonman! You can do it!!
banana.gif

+1!!!

Don't know how long it has been since you posted your last model willsonman, but it is amazing that you have been able to resist the addiction!

hehehe. Thanks guys. Its been quite awhile... a year on 17FEB. My addiction has been scratch building real models. I've just been at the field! I'll take that sound file for sure! I'll still use the electric setups I have come accustomed to. With Benedini sound units and the like any motor sound is possible these days.

Have you seen THIS build thread? Its got a few sparatic pics that might help out. The actual build starts on page 10 or 11 I think, although its not the best of build threads. There are a few videos at the end of the thread as well, but I didnt watch any of them to know if they will help or not.

Hope it helps. Either way, Ill be watching as well. Just do a better job than the guy in my link at posting progress pics.:p

Not that big Dane;) More like 1/12. Its a good size and really what size I would like to really build it as. $$$$ motors though!! So, I did find a nice high-poly model in the sketchup 3D warehouse. I think I could get better 3-views from that than what we see here.

Sweet plane, one I have to be honest and say I'm not familiar with. But any twin boom, twin engine is an excellent subject in my book.

Got 3-views in tonight. I also got sanding done on a real model:D freakish warm weather so I spent 30 minutes. Ok, so I'll go over briefly how to get 3-views using a sketchup model.

open the model and select just the aircraft. Nothing else.
under camera set to parallel projection
Camera --> Standard Views--> select view you want (eg. top, bottom, left side, front, Back etc.)
Camera --> Zoom extents (zooms everything that you have selected to its maximum size for your screen)
File--> Export--> 2D graphic

Select a different view and you got it. Now, I did do something most twin builders have had trouble with. I was able to select a boom on one side, hide it, and then take another side view so I got the full canopy profile. Many other views can be had this way. Needless to say the views were VERY easy to line up in wings. I mean, like 30 minutes easy. So, for those with bad views or just wanting consistent views I offer this alternative. It really only works if someone has already done the model and uploaded it to the 3D warehouse.

Attachments

• 3view setup.jpg
    3view setup.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 15
Why not use the model itself as the 3-view? Wrap your geometry around it. That worked very well for the Magnum Reloaded.

Getting the sketchup file to Wings is the problem. They never really play nice. Not to mention I dont know if my machine would blow up with wings and that many polygons. Besides, this is the process I am used to, working from 3-views that is.

Getting the sketchup file to Wings is the problem. They never really play nice.
Now you have me wondering how I did it with the Magnum. I think I imported the Sketchup file into Max. It's a good idea to reset all pivots to 0, 0, 0 before exporting an .obj. Then import the .obj into Wings. I have limited experience doing that, but I am 1 for 1.

Still, if you'd rather work from 3-views, work from 3-views. I've seen your work. Nothing wrong with it, in my opinion.

So nice to have your approval:rolleyes: I kid, I kid. I did do the whole Sketchup to RF thing once as well. The Firefox was an interesting ball of confusion but its been so long I too do not remember what exactly I had to do. 5 years is a long time.

Main wing is done. Just need to mirror once the boom part is done and combined. Fuselage and canopy are shaping up. I thought it would be fairly straight forward but that canopy took me about an hour to shape. Had to make more views too to get the shape of the fuselage right. I'll more than likely need another one to make the camera flats on the fore end of the fuselage. Still need another view to get the gear door lines right.

Attachments

• Progress1.jpg
    Progress1.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 17
Do a Flip on x using the right click as you hold the Alt button down. (It's easier than it sounds.) That will create your left wing, copied from the right.

Resurrecting this one. Majority of the modeling is done... Looking for reference shots or guidance on pedals for the cockpit.

Attachments

• Progress 6.JPG
    Progress 6.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Progress 7.JPG
    Progress 7.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Progress 8.JPG
    Progress 8.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 6
Back