I Don't Want RFE in Onedrive!

ronemca2

I have STEAM. And under STEAM, I have RF9.5 and RFE. Both work.

And I have OneDrive. One of the subfolders that I created long ago in OneDrive is called "RC", which has always/only contained a handful of pics and a few subfolders named after my helicopters.

Last week I had a partial meltdown of my PC, and a few things got scrambled.
I had alotta trouble fixing OneDrive. And when the dust had settled...I discovered that a huge collection of RFE folders were now resident in OneDrive/RC. It's ALOT - eleven subfolders...each with multiple subfolders of their own.

I am not troubled by the amount or complexity of the data - I just don't want it in OneDrive. It was not there before.

So I went looking for a similar collection of data for RF9.5. I know it's definitely on the computer somewhere, because the two versions of the program are very similar in function & complexity. So - somewhere there's a stack of 8 or 9 or 10 subfolders--each with subfolders of their own--that support RF9.5. But I can't find it. (I figured I would find the folder tree that supports RF9.5...and discover that it is a subfolder of "ProgramFiles(86)" or something like that...and move the RFE tree to a similar location). Nope.

Any thoughts, please?

Removing the folder from OneDrive on your local drive (C:\ ) should do the trick. The RF data are located in your steam folder , Steamlibrary-->steamapps--->common or something like this :)

Don't remove the OneDrive folder! That would cause more problems.

The normal location for the folders you're looking for is in "My Documents"\Real Flight 9. That's typically C:\Users\youruser\Documents\Real Flight 9.

It believe what's happening is that OneDrive Backup has been turned on for your Documents folder. That places the local copy of your Documents into the OneDrive folder, and copies everything out to OneDrive all the time. Go into OneDrive (click the cloud icon down by the clock in the lower right corner), and find the settings gear icon. Then go to "Sync and Backup", and turn off backup of Documents (and anything else you don't want copied to OneDrive all the time.) While that will straighten things out and put the "Documents" shortcut back to C:\Users\you\Documents, it will not automatically copy everything from OneDrive\Documents to that location. You'll need to do that manually.

The RealFlight program itself is in the Steam folder on the C: drive, but all of your settings are in that Documents\Real Flight folder.

Curiouser & curiouser. I agree with this ^ (and a very warm THANK YOU, BTW) but...

Indeed there is a subfolder named: "Documents" in C:\Users\myname\

So far so good. Like it's been for the last 13 years. And/but...

There's a subfolder of "Documents" called "RC". I created it long ago, because--before I even installed OneDrive--I had my helicopter stuff in there. Once I installed OneDrive, I created a "RC" subfolder in there...and moved the entire contents from the Users\myname\Documents\RC folder to OD. Again - still good up to this point.

And under "RC" are 3 subfolders: "RealFlight 9", "RealFlight Evolution" and "RealFlight Evolution DX11 Beta". Alright - up to this point I am not surprised or troubled. If I click on any of these, I should see a big list of subfolders and sub-subfolders. But it is not to be...

"RealFlight 9" contains just one file; [RealFlight.ini]
"RealFlight Evolution" contains just two; [RealFlight.ini] and [RealFlight64.ini]
"RealFlight Evolution DX11 Beta" contains just one file; [RealFlight.ini]

WTF?!

Now - I'm hardly panic-stricken; after all, the apps work perfectly. So the data is obviously in here somewhere. I just don't want it in OneDrive. Now...

OD_S.jpg
You were right - the "Documents" folder is configured to back up to OneDrive. But I can't disable it. And the "Pictures" folder is not configured to back up (which is good) but OneDrive is whining about that, too! (I suspect this is iCloud--which is active by choice--but as a test I disabled it temporarily, and nothing changed with OneDrive)

None of this is preventing me from getting my un-needed beauty sleep...but I would really like to clean it up.

Last edited:
Okay - hold the phone...

I drilled down into the STEAM subfolders, and I found the mountains of data that I knew had to be somewhere. So I temp-moved the collection OUT OF OneDrive and ran the RFE app. It opened with an airplane (yecchh! Who flies THOSE?!) and a message flashed across the bottom of the screen in pink text that said 'a temporary config...blah blah blah OneDrive'

Aha!!

So - out I went onto the 'net again, and I came across another (older) post by that fine young 'flightengr' fellow wherein he was helping another gent. The gist of what he said was: "Maybe you've told Windows to use a different location for the "Documents" folder. So I went spelunking in File Explorer, and - whaddya know?! Sure enuff the default path to "Documents" was indeed within OneDrive!!

I edited the Properties to reflect the actual path (under Users\myname\) and re-launched RFE. Eureka! It opened with my trusty 360 SMART instead of a nasty airplane...and there was no pink message.

See? I am more than just arm candy!

Good detective work!

OneDrive is what changed the "Documents" folder to point to somewhere within the OneDrive folder, and that happens because backups are enabled for Documents. Microsoft calls it a backup function, but it's really OneDrive hijacking the Documents and storing them somewhere else that's included in the OneDrive sync folder.

Interesting that defeating the backup function is as simple as editing the Windows setting for "Documents" back to the normal location. That might come in handy someday.

Excellent! Through a combination of my rakish good looks, my extraordinary lady-pleasing talents, my rapier wit (and the infinitesimal input of that other guy)…I solved the problem! ;-)

Just kidding - I am indebted to the ‘flightengr’ for assistance & support graciously offered and gratefully received.

It’s worth noting that OneDrive has been significantly overhauled recently. When the troublesome hiccup occurred in my machine about 6 days ago…OneDrive was definitely seen lurking in the neighborhood. And when I brought it into the station for questioning…I discovered that the currently-available-for-downloading version looks much different than it has for the last few years! Further—although this issue is now resolved—multiple uninstalls/re-installs failed to restore the cloud icon in the tray. For awhile, it was quite puzzling - and frustrating! But - luckily - through a combination of my…oh never mind. 😎

Back