I just received RF8

Bill Stuntz

So far, I'm a happy camper after having been VERY disappointed in RFX. I've upgraded my video card since I tried (and returned) X, so I can't do an apples to apples comparison with X, but comparison to 7.5 is favorable so far. X might have been OK with my "new" video card, but I had already returned it when I found a GTX-760 in a computer I was recycling at work.

Hardware:
Xeon E5-1620 3.6GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads
32G PC3-14900 ECC RAM
256G SATA3 256G boot (& RF) drive, with a RAID 5 array as my data drive
GTX-760, Dual monitors, 1920x1080 & 1440x900

I haven't done any extensive testing, but here are a couple first impressions.

RF8 required an immediate update after a fresh install. Worked perfectly, but I'm glad I have a 60mbps cable connection.

Spacewalker
Carl Henson Field:
RF-7.5: Graphics & Physics frame rate: approx 350
RF-8.0: Graphics & Physics frame rate: approx 550

Joe's Garage HD:
RF-7.5: approx 175fps
RF-8.0: approx 350fps

They've obviously done quite a bit of graphics optimization.

I already knew that the X controller wouldn't work with 7.5, but this was a surprise:
If both Interlink Elite & Interlink-X controllers are connected, RF-8 defaults to use the Interlink Elite, NOT its own controller. That's a little annoying, but probably won't be for long. I expect to be using 8 more than 7.5, so I'll probably just leave the Elite controller unplugged most of the time. I'm not sure I'll actually use 7.5 very much after I get the stuff I've added to 7.5 into 8, too.

I'm going to install 8 on my plain vanilla Dell Latitude E4310 laptop (i5-M560 @2.67, 8G) & do some similar comparisons to see how well it works on a slower machine with onboard video. Needless to say, X wouldn't run at all on my laptop.

I just installed 8 on my laptop, and discovered that I can't see the text in the NavGuide window, so I can't see the frame rates, in either 8 or 7.5. Any suggestions? I've tried changing the text color, but the text is still invisible. Nothing seems to change. It's still black on black, no matter what color I choose.

FYI, both 7.5 & 8 are usable on the laptop, and seem to run with adequate (but obviously lower than my Xeon/760) frame rates.

Attachments

• NavGuides.png
    NavGuides.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I can actually run RF-8 and VR on a i5 - 4200M (@2.50GHz) 16GB Ram and Intel HD4600 Graphics system very well. I don't know what to suggest about your text problem but it does run faster than 7.5 like you mentioned.

Seems RF-8 is even better at performance than 7.5 :)

I'm waiting for my copy to come in the mail. This is the first RF I've purchased. I'll be using it in an 2017 Surface Pro i7, 16gb, Intel Iris Plus 640 integrated graphics. Weak in the GPU department but from what I'm hearing it should run well. Anyone else run an older version on a Surface Pro?

I can actually run RF-8 and VR on a i5 - 4200M (@2.50GHz) 16GB Ram and Intel HD4600 Graphics system very well. I don't know what to suggest about your text problem but it does run faster than 7.5 like you mentioned.

Seems RF-8 is even better at performance than 7.5 :)
It seems to load a little faster, too.

I couldn't justify the $500 video card to get acceptable performance from X, and I had already returned X when I acquired the 760 for free. So I don't know whether I'd be OK with X now.

I don't have a VR system. But I might have to think about spending a similar amount for VR after Christmas. The biggest thing I've never liked about RF is the lack of situational awareness. It might be worth the bucks to get that.

We did make some changes to the rendering code that might make things faster but it seems unlikely it would make such a big difference.

If you have time go back and make sure that the rendering settings are the same between RF 7.5 and 8 and then let us know if the frame rates really differ by that much.

Jim

You're right. 7.5 was set to Custom, and 8 was set to Medium. With both set for Highest, I'm bouncing around 175 at Joe's Garage HD, with RF8 maybe a little higher. But it's hard to tell for sure when I'm glancing at the frame rate occasionally while I'm flying. I never saw any numbers below 150 or over 200 from either one. In any case, I'm MUCH happier with 8 than I was with X.

Any idea why I can't see the text in NavGuide on my laptop?

Received my copy today, too.

I installed RF8 today. The first launch went ok and everything seemed to work normally.
When I selected "Join" under multiplayer, I got an alert that stated I needed to update to
8.00.019. This was of little surprise to me.

So, I quit the program, relaunched and selected, "Update to latest version." The download
seemed normal, but now when I try to join a Multiplayer session, I get the following message:

"KEError 24052 Unrecognized online update method."

In addition, my McAfee security quarantined a LauncherHelper file during the first update
attempt. So, I uninstalled RF-8 and went through the installation process again - 2 more times,
actually.

Although I didn't see a quarantine notice again, I'm still getting the KEError 24052.

McAfee does not interfere with my RF-7.5 or its updates.

Any ideas?

I checked and my setting for RF-8 did default to highest. I am not getting the huge increase the other person mentioned but I am getting about a 10% better frame rate than before. Apparently it likes and works well with Intel HD4600 built in graphics. You can add that to your list of compatible video if you hadn't already.

BTW can we get some Lara Croft type 3D field object/spectators ? :D

Last edited:
RF-8 still won't update

I turned off my McAfee firewall, plus initiated RF-8 folder exclusions, including a specific exclusion in MalwareBytes.

Well, still no joy. I'm still getting the message: "KEError 24052: Unrecognized online update method."

I have even tried uninstalling RF-8 many times and starting over from scratch, while still using the exclusions in McAfee and MalwareBytes. Still no joy. :mad:

Meanwhile, RF-8 does run very nicely without the update - I just can't play multiplayer at the moment. I'm seeing frame rates ranging from ~200 fps to well over 800 fps with details set to "highest." :D

Bill Stuntz, I'm not sure what's happening with the text on your laptop. That sounds vaguely familiar to me, though. It's possible someone has reported something similar in the past.

Do any of the other gadgets exhibit the same problem? What about the Quick Select menus (via the gadget tabs on the left side of the screen)? What about the Welcome dialog?

Knowing more about your laptop hardware might provide a clue, but off the top of my head I'm at a loss.

Success!

Hi Ryan,

I made a post on your other mentioned thread, and thanks!

I followed your directions, which eliminated the dreaded KEError 24052 deal. However a new KEError 12233 came up when I clicked on the download button, "Error creating file on disk. Make sure you have enough disk space."

I have plenty of disk space. On a hunch, I clicked on the "Clear Cache" button. After that, the download was successful!

Many thanks!

:D

Thanks Ryan!

Dell Lattitude E4310, i5-M560@2.67, 8G, SSD, Onboard Intel HD Graphics@1366x768

The odd thing is... I upgraded Windows 10 from v1703 to v1709 after I noticed the problem, and the text magically became visible.

Spacewalker, Carl Henson Field:
Medium Graphics: ~90fps
High Graphics: ~25fps
Highest: unflyable ~10fps

I probably don't need to say this, but it's NOT my primary RF PC. But I occasionally use it as a time killer when I'm away from home for a few days. It's "good enough" for the way I use it at Medium to get by.

Back