I need some (a Lot) of help.

Evanspa

I have been using the RF 3.5 for about 2 weeks. I went through all of the airplane hover steps, R only, El only, Ail only R & throttle, ail & throt....etc. But when I go for the full house control....no way in hell!
The only way I can even get a hover is with the gyro Yak, and thats too easy.

Can I get 3 of the 4 controls together for practice instead of just throtle and one other?

Is there a better way to get a grasp on this? I bought the sim to save planes.

I hear g2 or g3 is a better program for real physics. I also heard it's much harder to hover in G3.5 than real life, what's the point to that?

Last edited:
Evanspa said:
Is there a better way to get a grasp on this?

Yes slow down the physics to say 60% and you'll do better.

Evanspa said:
I hear g2 or g3 is a better program for real physics. I also heard it's much harder to hover in G3.5 than real life, what's the point of the SIM again??

You heard wrong. G3 has it about right.

If it were easy, everyone would be dancing their planes nose up all over the place at your local air park.

How hard it is also largely depends upon the plane. Some planes are much easier than others both in G3 and in real life.

Evanspa said:
Any one want to trade G3.5 for G3 or 2? It's new and unregistered.

Hmmm... sounds like a step backward.

"You heard wrong. G3 has it about right."
So G3 is better than G3.5????

Is there a way to turn down the gyro as I progress? The Hover trainer is about worthless for me at this point.

I never thought it would be easy. Just looking for a good learning tool other than smacking planes as much.

Hmmm... sounds like a step backward.

Well, I got off to a bad start with this program, so sorry if I sound pissy about it.
I bought the program, the jerk at the LHS said it would run fine on my system, it didn't and they would not return my money. So I am trying to get the most out of the software.

I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
What planes would you recommend for training?
(Keep in mind, I am not purchasing any add-ons)

I turned the physics speed down to 75% and it's a little better I can turn it back up as I progress.

Thanks again.

I like the Extra 330's

I'm a big fan of the Extra 330's on the swap pages. They have taught me how to prop hang and I love them. There are several to choose from, and I have most of them. This is a link to the Sky Pirates version which is great.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/960

Try the others on the swaps too. For one they are fun to fly, and two, when you go on multi player its fun having more than one plane on there that looks cool :D
Good luck, and don't give up

Hey evenspa, not sure if your using Mode 1 or 2 ( not that it matters that much) the plane which I learnt to hover was with the Yak-54, the standard one as you take off get vertical drop throttle until the plane hangs, then use rudder and elevator to stabilize. Reason why I mention the mode is mode 1 has rudder and elevator on the same stick and I find it easier that way, but Mode is dependent on what method you learnt. In Australia we use Mode 1. Enough rambling once you hanging you just nee to learn to stabilize your self as mentioned with rudder and elevator

Evanspa said:
I have been using the RF 3.5 for about 2 weeks. I went through all of the airplane hover steps, R only, El only, Ail only R & throttle, ail & throt....etc. But when I go for the full house control....no way in hell!
The only way I can even get a hover is with the gyro Yak, and thats too easy.

Can I get 3 of the 4 controls together for practice instead of just throtle and one other?

Is there a better way to get a grasp on this? I bought the sim to save planes.

I hear g2 or g3 is a better program for real physics. I also heard it's much harder to hover in G3.5 than real life, what's the point to that?

Realflight G3.5 is actually pretty close to the real thing. On a stock Yak (3D), I increase the rudder chord a little and also increase the prop wash factor to 108%. Feels pretty close for me. I will try to post a variant of the Yak that hovers realistically when my computer with G3.5 gets internet problem fixed again. One thing though that is for certain you have to burn gas to learn it (or in G3.5s case use electricity!) It will not come over night. It took me about 6 months to learn to hover a foamy AFTER I learned on G2. And G2 didnt support 3D, so it was actually harder than what it really is. I am still a kid (17), so yes, I may have been able to learn it faster than most. It took me around two years before I put my gassers on the deck . . .

Seth

Evanspa said:
"You heard wrong. G3 has it about right."
So G3 is better than G3.5????

No we often use G3 and G3.5 to mean the same thing...

Evanspa said:
Is there a way to turn down the gyro as I progress? The Hover trainer is about worthless for me at this point.

There sure is.

You can go into the editor and turn down the heading hold gain percentage...

You can even associate a gyro's rate/gain with the knob to adjust it on the fly.

Evanspa said:
I never thought it would be easy. Just looking for a good learning tool other than smacking planes as much.

A good move!

Evanspa said:
Well, I got off to a bad start with this program, so sorry if I sound pissy about it.
I bought the program, the jerk at the LHS said it would run fine on my system, it didn't and they would not return my money. So I am trying to get the most out of the software.

I appreciate your help.

Understood.

It's worth upgrading a system to run G3/G4 if you can.

Often all that is needed is a bit more memory or a better yet relatively inexpensive graphics card...

The money you'll save in cracked planes and helis will more than make up for it.

If I ever have a moment I'll try to post an AV with the gain set to the knob, for the Yak.

I learn to torque roll on G2 using the Cap 232. I cannot say it was the same feel as my H9 Edge 540 78" wing span (2002) but what I DO know, is that G2 taught me all the correct input I needed and when to execute them.

This made it very easy and comfortable for me to try torque rolling. As honest as can be, I was torque rolling my Edge540 in under 10 tries, thanks to G2.

I tried out a friends G4 and found it very easy to hover the Yak. I could not get the Yak to torque roll without nudging it with some left aileron. I have on order an Extreme Flight Yak 88" and will see how that compares to G4 though they are two different size planes.

Real Flight is priceless if you are flying RC aircrafts, you can perfect your current skills and learn new ones, the possibilities are endless.

don't worry if it takes you long, keep using the yak 54 3D to hover, and don't use the hover trainer, try and get the yak upright and try to keep it there

1st step: master hovering with the canopy towards you
2nd step: master hovering with the landing gear towards you
3rd step: master hovering with the right/left wing towards you
4th step: master hovering with the other wing towards you
5th step: master the torque roll

download this yak 54 to practice and fly, since i found it to the the most accurate yak on the sim and all my fellow pilots at my field think so too

Back