I think I probably need a (new?) graphics card (running latest RF9.5 on Win 10 Home x86 with Intel Core i7-4790, 64 bit on 64-based processor)

Neil_from_Sydney

Greetings from Sydney, Australia.

I'm an RF9.5 newbie and RF9.5 is working quite well on my nice big DELL U2713H desktop monitor (max resolution 1920x2080) using Intel HD Graphics 4600 (perhaps this is on the motherboard?).

Once my planes get smaller on screen than about 1cm x 1cm (0.5" x 0.5") it becomes both hard to see their orientation and their outlines begin to break up and even vibrate (especially when flying the plane directly towards me from a distance). I'm not a gamer (or can I call myself this as an RF9.5 user? I think not) but wonder whether a 'proper' modern graphics board will render these small plane images with clear and non-vibrating outlines? I read that (some?) AMD (and perhaps other) graphics boards have not worked so well with the RF products and some people are disappointed with their drivers and customer service. I have no brand allegiance so what cards should all do a fine job (I understand you will all have your favorites).

My present system is perfectly fine for my other uses but also wonder (and hope not) whether the DELL monitor's 1920x2080 resolution is also a part of my problem.

Thanks for your past and present help. And happy flying for the months ahead.

Do this to make sure RF 9.5 is running at your monitors resolution.

Simulation Menu->Settings->Graphics->Hardware

In the right pane the Resolution value should be 1920x1080 if it isn't click on it and you can set it.

Check this first and report back and we can do more. You will need to restart RF 9.5 if you change the value.

Also if you end up buying a new graphics card I would suggest only buying an NVIDIA card because lots of AMD (RADEON) cards won't work properly with RF 9.5 because they dropped support for DX9 which is what RF uses.

BTW - these days you don't need a really rare or top of the line graphics card. I'm running at 2560x1440 on a now "very old" Nvidia GTX 960, which gives very good frame rates with all the quality settings maxed out. Many lists out there of the relative performance of the Nvidia line of cards, so pick one the same (or even better). Here's one: https://www.gpucheck.com/nvidia-gpu-hierarchy-list-chart Shopping used for one in what is now the lower end of the range of possibilities may be pretty affordable!

also, while flying try pressing the Z key on the keyboard to change the zoom mode. I am not sure which you are using I use keep ground in View. the +/- keys control the zoom in the sim for manual zoom. I tried an aspect ratio similar to your 12x13 and with manual zoom the plane was quite tiny and zooming in helped a lot.

2021-12-28 00_12_00-Window.jpg

Greetings from Sydney, Australia.

I'm an RF9.5 newbie and RF9.5 is working quite well on my nice big DELL U2713H desktop monitor (max resolution 1920x2080) using Intel HD Graphics 4600 (perhaps this is on the motherboard?).

Once my planes get smaller on screen than about 1cm x 1cm (0.5" x 0.5") it becomes both hard to see their orientation and their outlines begin to break up and even vibrate (especially when flying the plane directly towards me from a distance). I'm not a gamer (or can I call myself this as an RF9.5 user? I think not) but wonder whether a 'proper' modern graphics board will render these small plane images with clear and non-vibrating outlines? I read that (some?) AMD (and perhaps other) graphics boards have not worked so well with the RF products and some people are disappointed with their drivers and customer service. I have no brand allegiance so what cards should all do a fine job (I understand you will all have your favorites).

My present system is perfectly fine for my other uses but also wonder (and hope not) whether the DELL monitor's 1920x2080 resolution is also a part of my problem.

Thanks for your past and present help. And happy flying for the months ahead.
I assumed when you put "1920x2080" as your monitors resolution you really meant "1920x1080" but after looking up your monitor (DELL U2713H) it's really a 2560x1440 monitor so that changes things. So let us know what your monitors resolution is and what you're running RealFlight at for sure.

May I offer an alternative. I have RF 9.5.038, and always do my practice flying from the Evergreen Field. I'll also keep Ground in View, as that is like you standing there, watching birds fly around you. Consider going to the Task Bar, Gadgets, and select Binocular - 3. When your plane is about 100 yards away, up pops a small screen showing your plane's orientation relative to your position along the runway. I have resolution set on Highest. It helps a lot when I fly smaller class planes too. Good luck and enjoy this Sim.ScreenShot1640896423.jpgScreenShot1640896407.jpg

Back