I'm a newbie with a question

twinedaddy

I'm new to the R C world but I am very serious about picking this hobby up. I got RealFlight G4.5 in order to practice so I don't crash a real heli on my first flight. I've dabbled with coaxles in the past and feel I can make the jump to single rotors. I've been working with the training heli on RealFlight. I've actually gotten fairly decent. I'm thinking of buying either the Walkera Dragonfly CB180D or the Exceed Mad Hawk 300 as my fist step into R C helis. What helis on the sim should I practice with for these two possible aircraft? Any feedback would be most welcome and valuable. Thanks in advance.

I think that you need to fly some of the smaller helis like a 450 size or even a 250 sized heli in the simulator... You said you were flying the heli trainer... I assume you were flying a 600 sized heli there. A big difference in stability between the larger and much smaller helis....

The thing I like about your choices of FP helis is the price. I wish I had gone that route before CP helis... thing you don't want to keep doing is buying one crappy controller after another... If I were you, I would fly helis that you can bind to a decent transmitter.

We should change the titles of half the threads here to be the same as this one! :eek:

is there any way to edit an existing aircraft to simulate one of those helis i listed above? if so, what numbers do i punch in and where? thanks.

One of the existing fixed pitch helis would be a close emulation, although I'll bet the real deal will be more unstable.

As 2oclockhigh alluded to, larger helis are more stable both in the sim and in real life.

But stability in a heli is a relative term.

A large 90 nitro heli will feel highly unstable to a newbie, and a small fixed pitch will seem impossible.

Flight Lessons.

You have already told us that you are new to the hobby. You really need time to figure out how things work before you start cranking screws and changing settings. A new heli pilot needs to find an experienced pilot willing to help repair their heli after crashes or it will just lead to one after another.

The same thing in the simulator... if you can't fly, you sure as heck can't make an aircraft that will fly. Choose one of the fixed pitch helis and fly/crash it until you learn... better yet... follow the path of many before you... learn to fly the 60 and 90 sized helis in hover and forward flight... then move down to the smaller craft.

The dual axis helis are more stable for beginners, but they will not get you all the way to where you want to go. You must transition to FP and then CP (collective pitch).... so why wouldn't you just learn to fly CP from the start in the simulator? If you can fly CP, you can fly just about any heli out there. Of course, in real life, the large helis are prohibitively expensive to learn with unless you are J Paul Getty. (If so, I will be happy to give you private flight lessons.)

I am going to tell you another thing, learning to fly airplanes is helpful. I tried to start with helis, but soon "regressed" to planes... I found a wonderful path into something that helped me get to where I wanted to be.

twinedaddy said:
is there any way to edit an existing aircraft to simulate one of those helis i listed above? if so, what numbers do i punch in and where? thanks.

12oclockhigh said:
I tried to start with helis, but soon "regressed" to planes....

I think many of us were immediately humbled by RC Helis and went this route.

After my fourth heli crash, I decided that flying an RC Heli is definitely not as easy as it looked!

opjose said:
I think many of us were immediately humbled by RC Helis and went this route.

After my fourth heli crash, I decided that flying an RC Heli is definitely not as easy as it looked!

No where near as easy for sure. I went the other route. I started with Aircraft, flew them for 2 years, then I bought my first heli. After crashing it so many times I decided that this was not for me. However, I took some lesson, got good enough to land without crashing, and bought myself another heli, this time, more expensive. Crashed this one even worse and far more, and then I gave up. I realized I had only gotten use to the beginner level heli, and I probably would crash and dish out dough to learn to use the nice helis.

Sure does. That was before I had Real Flight. I now fly the Helis strictly on this wonder simulator, which I have gotten to be pretty good. I can preform a few 3D tricks with those helis that allow, but I am still weary as to dish out dough, to crash so often.

jeffpn said:
"If you've never crashed one, you've never flown one."
Nice quote.

To the poster above jeffpn's quoted post, I learned using a trainer, then I bought a 3D Electric, and crashed it to shreds. That's why I stayed out of the Heli Business.

I have crashed many planes before too. When I started out, I crashed on take off. :D

I went a while before crashing seriously, but I landed with a flip :eek: but nothing broke.

I haven't crashed in a while, been a bit too long actually. I calculated my average crash ratio, and found it to be 1:31 (1 to every 31 full time flights with gas) and 1:47 (1 to every 47 full time flights with electric)

When I go out to fly on the field I usually fly a good 10 times or more, usually an all day thing on Sundays.

It's been over 6 months since I have demolished anything though. But I'm running on tight schedule, since I've flown nearly 100 flights without crashing, I know I'm going to attempt something stupid, like a dog fight with an electric, or a loop to close to the ground (examples of when I demolished something :D ) and have it turn out bad.

Neo said:
I calculated my average crash ratio, and found it to be 1:31 (1 to every 31 full time flights with gas) and 1:47 (1 to every 47 full time flights with electric)

I thought about figuring my crash ratio once and then decided not to .....figured if I did that when I approached my magic number that I may consciously or un-consciously fly differently....or jinx myself somehow :p

Modifying airports

Hey guys,

I like to post colorschemes and enjoy modifying airports. The EA's from the swaps import as KEX files to use on the object palette.

I can't seem to import any of the stock aircraft included with G4.5. Is there any way to use these planes as airport objects when creating new airports.

Thanks for all the great work. I really enjoy..

Back