Imported models "bounce" "dance" & "wobble" on the ground

agershon

Imported models "bounce" "dance" & "wobble" on the ground

I'm a new user, just got G4 up and running. I've download and imported several models from the G4 swap pages. But, almost all of them do the same strange thing: While on the ground, they bounce and hop around like the ground is hot and they don't want their wheels to get burned :eek:

For example, the T-28 Trojan, the Acroduster, the Bonanza V35A, the Mermaid, the Weeks ... they all do it. The only imported model that doesn't do this is the Boeing 747.

Am I missing a setting somewhere? I haven't messed with any default options that I remember. I just installed this last week. Any ideas??

Thanks,
AG

Some of this is due to problems with the collision mesh on those planes.

Some of this is also related to very minor changes that should be made to the G3 plane's physics.

Have you installed the latest update?

Great ... thanks for the help. I actually had more realistic results by changing the stiffness to 1000 (the max). Still dances while still, but the landings are pretty realistic.

So, we're thinking that, as developers start building models for G4, this glitch will work itself out?

AG

I'm finding a lot depends on the location of the pivot point for the landing gear objects and the final weight of the physics model.
How bouncy an aircraft will be depends on the type of landing gear (round, flat aluminum/carbon fiber) and the stiffness. Sometimes a lower value works better, sometimes a much larger value is best. Depends on the specific aircraft.

Most of the already released user models don't have the pivot points properly set or pivot orientation is incorrect. Going forward I believe you'll see better implementation of this feature.

howdy, new guy here too. I have only one plane that has this same problem. I tried like suggested making the gear either way softer or way stiffer. neither did the trick. it almost seems like the plane is unballanced. it is up on the nose wheel and the back dances all over. seems to fly fine though. any more tips? crazy part is the first couple times i flew it this didn't happen. I never changed anything and it just started. I even removed the plane and re-loaded it. same prob. suggestions?

There is a very simple way to "fix" it, change the gear type from springy to Scale Retracts ( it worked in my case).

Of course gear will not spring any more and I would do it ONLY after trying all possible strength/stiffness combinations...as was explained above.

Andrzej

arb6591 said:
There is a very simple way to "fix" it, change the gear type from springy to Scale Retracts ( it worked in my case).

Of course gear will not spring any more and I would do it ONLY after trying all possible strength/stiffness combinations...as was explained above.

Andrzej

well, i tried all the stiffness settings from min to max. no dice there. when i tried to take your advice about scale retracts, that is already what the gear type is listed as. so any other suggestions? I really like this plane in the air, just ground handling is a problem. (also it is close to my heart since i am a structural mechanic on C-130's in the USAF).

THANKS

troposcuba said:
well, i tried all the stiffness settings from min to max. no dice there. when i tried to take your advice about scale retracts, that is already what the gear type is listed as. so any other suggestions? I really like this plane in the air, just ground handling is a problem. (also it is close to my heart since i am a structural mechanic on C-130's in the USAF).

THANKS

out of Kiesler?

tha pivots i used to get the herc gear to look near to "normal", will never allow the mod to be springy.
they are in the wrong place to make it happen.
sorry
a FRED FCC

crashed again said:
out of Kiesler?

tha pivots i used to get the herc gear to look near to "normal", will never allow the mod to be springy.
they are in the wrong place to make it happen.
sorry
a FRED FCC

I don't understand? I am not all that concerned with the looks. just can't deal with the rear end up the plane jumping around like a jackrabbit.

not Kiesler, Pope in NC. but moving to Incirlik Turkey soon.

It's like pulling teeth. :)

Which Model (EA) there are 2 of them or Variant (AV) at least 3 of them, have the problem, I don't see any "jackrabbit" phenomenon in G3.5 or G4. :confused:

Frank,

I hate to say that but original EA does it ....
It behaves exactly like troposcuba described it.

Andrzej

phrank said:
It's like pulling teeth. :)

Which Model (EA) there are 2 of them or Variant (AV) at least 3 of them, have the problem, I don't see any "jackrabbit" phenomenon in G3.5 or G4. :confused:

DHK succintly described the problem and the fix here: CLICK ME.

Ahhh,
So this is about coarse collision mesh around the wheels.
That is more of a "Jitter" effect while on the ground, not a "Jackrabbit"
If you enable springy landing gears, then yes, it will jump around as
a "Jackrabbit"

EDIT:
I see the problem now, very slow rollout seems to trigger something that kicks up the tail, almost as if a collision mesh was orbiting around the other one.

Crashed, I see two instances of ~CS_RW and ~CS_LW under the visual mesh, could it be that the collision mesh is acting as one instead of one per wheel?
Could be something related in the translation from G3.5 to G4.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1199395817.jpg
    ScreenShot1199395817.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 8
  • C130 Mesh.jpg
    C130 Mesh.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
No most of the planes that do this in G4 also did it in G3.

If you turn up the co-efficients it becomes fairly obvious.

A LOT of planes really need this fixed on the original 3D model.

opjose said:
No most of the planes that do this in G4 also did it in G3.

If you turn up the co-efficients it becomes fairly obvious.

A LOT of planes really need this fixed on the original 3D model.

I will look for the original file (3dsmax), and if found, i will "repair" the meshes, and release an updated ea.
Please forgive me, the 130 was my second or third plane, and i am STILL learning the process, even now
:)
crashed

crashed,

There is nothing to forgive ... if there is anything to tell you , it would be "Thank you for another great plane" :)

We all keep learning, I am working on my third and still only scratched the surface comparing to what I would like to know .....

Thank you.

Andrzej

Back