Importing FBX as Static Object, but is shown as Dynamic Scenery Object in Airport Editor

tomsza

As the title says. I'm importing small 3D shapes in one file close together to act as static invisible collision objects and in the editor their listed as dynamic scenery objects. There are 1638 little 4 point polygons that line the edge of a bean field. I wanted to use this to give it a better collision effect than just hitting a solid wall. Why is the editor reporting this as a dynamic object? Also, what is (is there) the/a limit of total polygons a pano field can have? Going into editing my field often causes RF to close out.

Perhaps the easiest way to figure out what's happening with the object type (static vs. dynamic) would be for you to zip up your .kex and texture and post them as an attachment so we can attempt to replicate your result here.

There is a vertex limit on individual frames, and therefore airport objects since they necessarily consist of only a single frame. But there is not a specific limit on the number of polys in an airport. It just comes down to performance.

My guess is that you are encountering a known crash bug we are currently attempting to fix. We typically see it upon exiting the airport editor, though it can happen at slightly different times. It seems to only happen under certain conditions, including when some objects are rendered to the depth buffer only (for PhotoField collision purposes, exactly like what you're doing). Please keep an eye on future updates for a fix.

Just checking in to see if anyone can answer why the above file is imported as a static, but shows up in layout as dynamic.

Yes. And I'm glad you asked, because I managed to omit that fix from the release notes for the new beta version. That is fixed now. But before I get into that...

Airport objects always begin life as dynamic upon import and then have their type immediately updated. The problem is that the initial dynamic-type data was written out to disk right away, whereas the type change happened in memory and the file was only updated at some point in the future when the system decided to write changes like that to disk. If RealFlight happened to crash--such as from you encountering the editor-related crash we also just fixed--before that file update occurred on disk, then it the object would incorrectly remain a dynamic object.

That should be fixed now in the latest beta, along with the aforementioned crash. I encourage you to switch to the beta and try it out. Once you've done that, you should be able to fix the object on your disk by re-importing it as a static object and choosing to overwrite the existing files when prompted. You should also be able to edit your airport without all those crashes.

Please report your results!

Using the beta version worked. The East Beans objects now show as static. Hasn't crashed yet, and viewing individual Depth Buffers objects works.

When exporting my airport, it says, "Action is only enabled for custom content." Does this mean any object, like collision objects have to be made and imported by me in order for them to be included in the export? Will the supplied Depth Buffers objects will be present in the airport I export? Or do I have to recreate those?

Just checking in to see if anyone can answer to the statement above, "Action is only enabled for custom content."

I'm very glad that helped! I think we'll make that beta version public tomorrow.

Just checking in to see if anyone can answer to the statement above, "Action is only enabled for custom content."
Is that a message you receive after you initiate an export, and it's interfering with the process? Or are you just seeing it in the menu text and wondering what it means?

It's the message that pops up before exporting. I'm just wondering if any content (that I haven't made) would be left out.

Attachments

• RFExportScreenShot.jpg
    RFExportScreenShot.jpg
    788.2 KB · Views: 9
Ah, okay. I can clarify.

The intent of that text is to explain that if the menu item is disabled, it is because the currently loaded airport is not a custom one so can't be exported. The "Entire Aircraft" menu option above that in your screenshot is a perfect example.

As the description text says, any custom airport objects used by your airport will be included in the export. Stock objects don't need to be included in the package because anybody loading the airport will already have those on their system (and RealFlight doesn't allow exporting stock content, anyway).

I hope that helps!

Back