Incompatibility with Windows 7?

Aros

So I installed Win7 on my machine and apparently RF doesn't like it. I upgraded my video drivers for Win7 (GeForce 7300 GS which worked great on XP) and when I went into RF the FPS was horrid. Nothing fixes it. So I called tech support and they basically said that RF is not compatible with Win7.

So unless I want to go through the hassle of reinstalling XP and all my associative software and files (no thanks) I guess I'm stuck without RF until they release a Win7-friendly upgrade.

Windows 7 has been discussed here before. I'm thinkng someone had it working, no problem. Since '7' cannot be searched here, scroll back pace by page, you'll find it.

As Microsoft says of Windows 7 "How do you test the software? You put it on your PC, and then do what you'd normally do. Your PC will automatically and anonymously send our engineers the information they need to verify the fixes and changes they made based on the Windows 7 Beta tests."

So perhaps, your PC has already reported that they still have some work to do. You might want to follow up with a manual bug report just in case.

If FPS are low then the problem is not with Windows 7, but rather the video card device drivers.

Two likely causes:

It could be that the drivers are resorting to software rendering where as with other versions of windows the card was using hardware rendering. You may need to upgrade the drivers.

Or

It could be that Windows 7 ( which mandates DX10 instead of DX9 ) is causing Realflight to call rendering routines which are being done in software, but your video card CANNOT do the hardware rendering.

As a result your CPU is under a much higher load and things render s-l-o-w-l-y.

Your only recourse is to upgrade your video card in this case.

The x300 series cards are not very powerful to begin with, the chipset used was developed for DX8, not DX9.

Interesting...Thanks for the info. I have a low profile XPS 200 hence the smaller video card than I would normally like. I went to the Nvidia site to download the latest driver for Windows 7 and that's when all hell broke loose.

I've since uninstalled RF and the device driver and anticipating trying again, first with the driver install and then the RF install instead of the other way around (like I did it originally).

Other than that it sounds like I just need a bigger, better, faster gaming machine.

Back