Increase wind as default on 9.5S

StephenT

I want to have a 3-5mph wind as standard, is there a way on 9.5S I can have that? If I push "Page Up"key In Ënvironment"option, it just shows me the wind sock but doesn't increase the wind speed. Yep, I'm a newbie, I'm using the Turbo Timber as my aircraft but the zero wind as default isn't helping me as when I go to Club for training flights, there is always wind. Thanks, Stephen. FOUND IT - AIRPORT EDITOR! WOOHOO!

Last edited:
Hit the "~" key on your keyboard, then at the prompt type "help" and then Enter. Listed will be a ton of commands to set things in RF. The last two are wind related. "help windSpeed" will give you details about how to set it. This stays in effect only while the program is running. When you reopen, it has to be done again. But.....

Then go to (your name)\Documents\RealFlight Evolution\Scripts\startup.rfscript and edit with Notepad.
Type in the command, and save it. Now you get it active every time you open the program.
You can list other commands too.
I like:
kablooey
showmethemoney

As you have found, @StephenT, you can specify a nonzero wind value for a specific airport and save a custom version of that airport so that it persists. That does require making custom versions of each airport where you want to fly.

The method @Flapper described where you can add the console command to your RealFlight startup script will work for the first airport loaded on RealFlight startup. It will not persist after changing to a different airport, though.

Which method works best for you probably depends on how you use RealFlight most of the time. There is not a way to specify wind speed for all airports at once.

If I push "Page Up"key In Ënvironment"option, it just shows me the wind sock but doesn't increase the wind speed.
I believe you're pressing the up arrow key instead of the "Page Up" or "Pg Up" key (depending on your keyboard). The up arrow key is "Quick Look at Windsock", and will look at the sock for as long as you hold it, while "Page Up" will increment average wind speed once per press or can be held down for larger, more rapid changes.

It is also worth noting that some keyboards--usually on laptops--share the Page Up/Down functionality with other keys, requiring you to toggle some other keyboard mode before the Page Up/Down keys will work as desired.

As you have found, @StephenT, you can specify a nonzero wind value for a specific airport and save a custom version of that airport so that it persists. That does require making custom versions of each airport where you want to fly.

The method @Flapper described where you can add the console command to your RealFlight startup script will work for the first airport loaded on RealFlight startup. It will not persist after changing to a different airport, though.

Which method works best for you probably depends on how you use RealFlight most of the time. There is not a way to specify wind speed for all airports at once.

I believe you're pressing the up arrow key instead of the "Page Up" or "Pg Up" key (depending on your keyboard). The up arrow key is "Quick Look at Windsock", and will look at the sock for as long as you hold it, while "Page Up" will increment average wind speed once per press or can be held down for larger, more rapid changes.

It is also worth noting that some keyboards--usually on laptops--share the Page Up/Down functionality with other keys, requiring you to toggle some other keyboard mode before the Page Up/Down keys will work as desired.
Hi Ryan, thank you! I was hitting the shared up arrow/ page up key, once I use the Fn key as well, bingo "Page Up" . Again, thanks for replying.

Back