Initial Rections

Spareparts

Initial Reactions

1. I love the new Furion 450. I still need to try all the other Helis...

2. Everything is slower now; loading, changing aircraft; going in and out of trainer mode, etc.. Not horribly so, but annoyingly so.

3. The sounds need some work. The runway in Flight School sounds like its made out of plastic. Also, my screen comes to a complete stop for about half a second before a new sound is about to play. My PC isn't state of the art, but G4 didn't have this problem.

4. No apparent changes to Heli Orientation Training :( :( :(
That is my favorite feature in G4, and I had a whole list of potential little improvements: https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=21316

I still need to check out the other Heli options. The most disturbing thing is that my PC is apparently on the edge of not be able to run G4.5.
Core 2 Duo E6300, 2 Gig RAM, GeForce 7900GS

Last edited:
Spareparts said:
3. The sounds need some work. The runway in Flight School sounds like its made out of plastic. Also, my screen comes to a complete stop for about half a second before a new sound is about to play. My PC isn't state of the art, but G4 didn't have this problem.

Well I had written that mine doesn't do this but I was wrong...

I get the same thing on a pretty high end system....

Methinks we lost some code optimizations along the way!!!

Last edited:
Mine does it too, and almost seemingly at random when flying by at high speeds.

I don't think it's my system. It's not done it before.

Keep in mind that this IS a public beta release. I hope a few of these little bugs will be fixed for the permanent download.

Anyone else's color schemes a bit dark on some aircraft?

Also, my flight instrument stuff as well as the console text are very dark.

-Eric

OMG the new harrier!

this new Harrier model simulation rocks! Doing 3D is a breeze because this plane is so stable and easy to fly. Much better than the previous version, especially the re-release of add-ons 4 version. Oh thank you thank you thanks a zillion to the awesome production team for another very cool model.

My impressions so far are all favorable. Only a small thing has been noticed so far and I adjusted for it.

When I booted up G4.5 I was in a photofield and I swear the frame rates were quicker. Understand, I have a near 5 yo computer.

I love the new sound effects, such as the wheels scraping along the tarmac.

I tried several new planes, the first being the AR-6. Awesome speed plane!

The Santa Clara photofield is excellent and I think I recognize those rolling California hills!

The first seaplane I tried was the Schneider Cup at Sandy Point and that is where I noticed something different. There was no more water splash and ripples showing. I then went to Shipwreck. I assumed the G4.5 read my computer and adjusted it out. So I adjusted it back in and got the ripples and foaming water around the floats.

I then loaded the Harrier and flew it around the Shipwreck sim.

I have not noticed any real problems, however I have only just started using the new version.

Anyway, so far I love the new upgrade! :)

Overall for a BETA release very good. Great work KE and THANKYOU.
Only a couple of minor niggles..

It does stutter a little on my pc but photofields are still running around the 170-190 fps mark. Noticed when doing 3D with avant aurora from ex pack 2 and a custom synergy N9 that they no longer retain heads speeds or recover the head speed like they used too. Tried to toggle difficulty which made no difference.

As i say only minor niggles so pleased with it overall and really love the new ground effects, servo noise etc. :)

found power ups but how do they work ?

stuff i like:
bumpy ground,
better physics feel when at advanced.
certain sound effects like blade scraps.
reworked models and new models.
two new photo ap's.
multi seems better (need more time to see)
ignore for online
ability to set the type of servo
Heli landing gear flex
showmethemoney

Stuff i miss :
dusty ground and ability to set it .
bump key for hosting

stuff i don't really use :
field of view deal.
the g4 bloom.

stuff i don't like :
some of the sound effects gotta go plastic sounding
lags in multi player
player list in multi player kinda big taking up space
player labels to big again takes up to much space
cant hear other peoples special effect sounds
servo sound needs more range have to set to 1000 to get decent level
that is with aircraft sounds at 100 and engines at 45

stuff i would like to see :
more range on wind gust it is too narrow need about 25% more
even more user editable features
importable sounds

didnt realy look at training features.
tried voice chat but my mic must have issues.
voice chated seemed kinda cool , some users will like some will hate.

THankyou KE your almost there.

Last edited:
I love the water sounds. Cap 580 (one in the pack) spawns right on the dock at Alpine Lake, allowing take off.

Have dinked around just a few minutes, but first impressions are favorable!

Some aircraft don't explode into balsa chunks when crashed, as they did before.

Servo sounds are neat.

I still want P-factor and back-torque effects implemented, as several generations back.

Keep up the good work!

Charles

Kmot said:
My impressions so far are all favorable. Only a small thing has been noticed so far and I adjusted for it.

I tried several new planes, the first being the AR-6. Awesome speed plane!...

I know this goes against the whole realism/simulator thing but you have to try the AR-6 Endeavour with a "Twin Pulse Jet" sound profile and perform a high speed low pass.... awesome! I have removed it now - but what a little ripper of a plane.

Jon

r1derbike said:
I still want P-factor and back-torque effects implemented, as several generations back.

Charles

Why does this keep getting overlooked I wonder?

With the improvements in ground realism, one of the most important things to simulate is the tendancy of many tail draggers to yaw left at runup.

I've seen many newbies run planes into fences when this has caught them unawares...

As a training aid it should be requisit.

Heh-heh! Lots-n-lots of kits. Yes op, I'm left baffled with that physics omission as well. I love to torque roll on the field, no reason one can't do that in the sim.

I flew the endeavor last night, and like an old 6-speed Suzuki 2-stroke bike I had, it takes a bit to spool-up to max speed at full-throttle takeoff, but when it does, it's a lot of fun to fly close with knife-edge figure 8s. Nice, fast airplane.

Charles

leezaal said:

It does stutter a little on my pc but photofields are still running around the 170-190 fps mark. Noticed when doing 3D with avant aurora from ex pack 2 and a custom synergy N9 that they no longer retain heads speeds or recover the head speed like they used too. Tried to toggle difficulty which made no difference.

As i say only minor niggles so pleased with it overall and really love the new ground effects, servo noise etc. :)

I'm posting this quote because I have many of the same things happening. Probably for the same reasons. However, I must say that I have INCREASED my frame rate by going to 4.5 , and I am very happy about that !

One of the things that I found in the new version that has helped in this regard is the "normal mapping" function under the graphics setup. If you disable it, everything works faster for me. YMMV !

My first impressions are very favorable. It took about 45 minutes to download with cable internet, and the download time for slower modes looked daunting to me. But that was not a bad situation at all, and the sim has performed just fine, with those "minor niggles" as mentioned in other posts.

Great job! KE, and I am looking forward to seeing what the final product will look like !

Jim S

Simulation Difficulty:

r1derbike said:
Heh-heh! Lots-n-lots of kits. Yes op, I'm left baffled with that physics omission as well. I love to torque roll on the field, no reason one can't do that in the sim.

I flew the endeavor last night, and like an old 6-speed Suzuki 2-stroke bike I had, it takes a bit to spool-up to max speed at full-throttle takeoff, but when it does, it's a lot of fun to fly close with knife-edge figure 8s. Nice, fast airplane.

Charles
Hey guys!! Maybe just me but it seems that the torque reaction is increased if you change the setting on Sim Difficulty.

leezaal said:

I was getting a "not so smooth" graphic even though frame rates were ok??? Turned on Vertical Sync and even though FPS dropped to about 60 the graphics seem much smoother.

Yeah we added a fix in 4.5 so that if you have vsync on and are getting good framerates, your picture should be a _lot_ smoother now. No more jerky background panning.

Japhet said:
Yeah we added a fix in 4.5 so that if you have vsync on and are getting good framerates, your picture should be a _lot_ smoother now. No more jerky background panning.
I suppose that there are numerous tweaks that are not even noticed by the end user but from my perspective I see an already fine product just getting better and better. It certainly is a pleasure to see people SOooooo passionate about what they do. Thanks to all!!!

Back