Intermittent Sound Output FAIL on Launch--Windows 7x64

Haole

Hey guys,

This one has me baffled. Clean install of 7-64 Pro, both Windows and Realtek drivers same issue: on launch of g4.5 I get no sound either directly from the .exe and using hte launcher. Relaunching a second or third time usually gets RF to output audio.

100% repeatable.

Things I've tried:

-4.5 is of course fully updated
-resetting defaults
-updating to the Azalia drivers instead of using the supplied W7 drivers (which incidentally work fine as the Realtek drivers just add a load of control-panel bloat)
-scratched my head in several directions...

Things I haven't done:

-Activated this install of 7 yet since it's not stable (re: this post)
-Uninstalled/reinstalled RF and EP 1-5, and downloaded the update to 4.5 (time)

Any help would be appreciated. I've seen several threads in search results with people who suffered from similar issues in Vista and with 7 but no common theme other than getting no output on launch. Eh, FWIW, this is also the same exact machine I'd been running RF on for a couple of years in Vista x64 with no probs--makes it a bit more confusing :confused:

Carl

The Bug:

OK, I positively identified the bug as being 100% correlated to trying to launch RF from a pinned taskbar icon. It repeatedly fails as described in my first post.

Launching the program from within the program menu, or from a shortcut pinned to the start menu launches the program with sound %100 of the time (I did this over 20 times to be sure).

Seems something gets broken while pinning to taskbar. Why? That's beyond me but it's there. Any known workarounds? I love the new taskbar functionality...when it works!

Thanks,

Carl

Nice to see you around!

This sounds LIKE a rights issue more than anything else.

As if the process does not have the same rights to the registry, OS, etc. when launched from the taskbar as from the other icons.

Try right clicking, then properties and see if you see any difference in the security settings.

Thanks! That was a good idea, although none of the permissions are different. The only change is in the path defining how the shortcut was created, which is all correct info (one specifies start menu the other specifies taskbar). They're otherwise identical properties throughout.

Weird, no?

Carl

Free Cookie

Thank you for nailing my problem to a tee. Great job, and thank you for keeping me from going crazy.

Back