Is RealFlight a game?

Maj. Numbskully said:
I guess the user name Spareparts makes sense then :p
Painful but true. Put it this way - I'm done buying RTF's, because eventually I'll have to build them up from scratch anyway. May as well learn how straight off.

That's one thing about RealFlight. I can get my flying fix without waiting for calm days, charging batteries, having bugs fly in my ears, and constantly rebuilding rotor heads and tuning for balance.

But I must admit, it's not quite the same....

Spareparts said:
That's one thing about RealFlight. I can get my flying fix without waiting for calm days, charging batteries, having bugs fly in my ears, and constantly rebuilding rotor heads and tuning for balance.
Isn't that the point? :)

Spareparts said:

But I must admit, it's not quite the same....
Yeah, it's a weak fix at best for Real Life flying.
What keeps me on RF beyond my practice time is MP. It's very cool you can fly RF w/ your buds.

jeffpn said:
Heh. For the past few months, I've been using RF for nothing more than to iron out the kinks in the models I'm building!

LOL, for me that's ALL it is since I started modeling :D I originally bought it as a "simulated" way to keep flying helis quite a few years after my health and vision got bad enough that it was no longer a good idea to do the "real thing."

I enjoyed doing that for a while then soon found modeling. Once that bug bit, RF became only a tool for testing and finalizing my models. I don't ever fly just for the sake of flying any more. Actually, at that point RF gained a LOT more "value" for me due to the satisfaction I get from modeling.

DH

Whats not to believe?

A lot of people use RF to iron out issues with real planes.

There are some people that have made new creations that they test out before building the real thing.

Think of it this way too, say you have a plane in RF that fly's exactly like your real R/C model. You want to change throws, expo etc before doing it in real life, there you go.

Not to hard to believe now is it.

But, I am referring to ironing out issues (doing the physics, etc.) for the planes that I'm designing for RF, which has nothing to do with building the model in the real world.

Norton said:
Whats not to believe?

A lot of people use RF to iron out issues with real planes.

There are some people that have made new creations that they test out before building the real thing.

Think of it this way too, say you have a plane in RF that fly's exactly like your real R/C model. You want to change throws, expo etc before doing it in real life, there you go.

Not to hard to believe now is it.

I've done likewise.

I can tune the physics of a model until simulated behaviour is identical to the real world, then make changes in the sim that I'm contemplating for the real model.

Both behave the same way and I can avoid costly mistakes.

This "predictive modeling" in Realflight, works just fine.

Johndb may have never heard of things like commercial flight simulators, airfoil dynamics simulators... or even software programs that do things like predicting the path of spacecraft trajectories in multi-body enviornments...

----

Is Realflight a "GAME"?

No it's two mints in one!

----- > Just Click me! < ----

-------

Last edited:
In reference to the quote opjose made of Norton's who was commenting on my post in this thread, post #15, I guess I have a small confession to make. My 15 year old godson (who has his own copy of G5) called me Sunday, wanting to know if I wanted to fly with him in a MP session. Since I believe in fostering an interest in our youth for this great software of ours, I told him that I'd host a session. We probably flew for about an hour, with the session count reaching the limit of 8 at times.

Back