Is this just a nasty rumour?

Stuart Bazley

I'm a RF user from way back, how many years I can't remember (getting old) I'm an invalid and confined to bed, so RF is a blessing and it's extremely well used (at least 4 good lengthy flights a week.

It's helped me keep my mind off other matters and also off pain. Once I'm flying RF I'm no longer flat on my back, I'm in the cockpit. It's saved me more than the buying price due to needing less medication and anyone who says drugs and flying don't mix, you're right, they definitely don't.

But that rumour I heard was RF is finished. There will be no RF8. The reason I'm told is due to piracy. I pray this isn't true, it won't stop me from using what I currently have installed, but it will remove the enjoyment I get whenever RF is updated. I may be on a pension, but I can always find the money for RF Upgrades. It may involve a little less in the food bill, who cares, flying is better than feeding.

I've been keeping my eye on what's happening in China. For under $20 you can now buy 3 CDs of all the Flight Sims, including the latest RF. I've seen the kit a good friend purchased. The Disks were simply store bought blank CDs with just a disk number marked in Felt pen. The dongle was well designed and made which shows just how devious our Chinese friends are. Included were adapters and cables for controllers.

I wrote to all the main Flight Sim Companies to inform them of these "Copies" roughly 3 years ago. Not one of them bothered to reply. Aren't they bothered, don't they care?
If someone was wrecking my business I'm certain I'd be doing something about it. The makers and retailers of these "kits" must know what they're doing is illegal and yet they openly advertise them on their websites, even Hobbyking was flogging them.

It seems all the big Flight Sim companies are on a go slow. Keeping up to date used to be a common thing, but now I think it's been over 18 months, maybe more since I had to dig deep for new releases.

Are our flight sims headed for that big hanger in the sky? Or is what I'm told just Internet rumour? Hopefully the latter. I may not have have that much longer in the pilots seat, but I'd hate to see RF die before I do. ;)

All I've seen in the way of new sims are the ones being developed independently like Heli-X etc. (I'm a big Heli pilot but do fly planes). It's a shame with all the piracy but prosecuting them is extremely difficult if they aren't based in the US or country of the products origin.
I know they have worked on a improved RF but can't say if they will sell it. Most of their time is in further developing the drone version and the mobile app.

I hope you get better. If you don't hate drones/quads too much consider getting something like a Blade Inductrix. You can fly it all over the room and land it back on your bed for charging. It's too small to hurt anyone or anything.

Last edited:
OP, you could be right.... I hope that you are wrong. KE issued a Multi-Rotor version last year. That was to keep other sims out of that market and aggressively priced the RF7 upgrade to work with that controller. I don't think that stealing will ever sit well with many people. Teens and young adults may not agree, but I think most people think that this is a well priced product and worth what they pay for it. I am hoping for a RF8 in November or so of this year, but I have no insider information to do anything but hope. RF really does need a bottom to top scrub and restart. The thing is that the vast majority of simmers are not gammers with high priced computer equipment.

Back