Issue with rudder after rotating pivot

Gl3n44

I'm very new to 3d modeling and thought I would try first with creating the dazzler for evolution. Setting up pivots worked well but I always had a problem with the rudder. When the axis of rotation was correct the rudder reflected at the same angle as the elevator essentially at 90 degrees from what it was supposed to do. When I rotate the pivot point to be the same as the elevator's pivot the reflections were fixed but of course the rudder pivoted around the wrong axis. I tried everything I could from rotating the pivot in global and local, changing the hierarchies, UV maps and anything else I could get from the tutorials. I'm sure that there is something that I am missing but I don't know what it could be. Everything was done in Blender 4.0.

Here it is with what I believe to be with the pivot point the correct way.
Desktop Screenshot 2024.03.05 - 00.19.51.16.pngDesktop Screenshot 2024.03.05 - 00.20.30.57.pngDesktop Screenshot 2024.03.05 - 00.21.09.38.pngDesktop Screenshot 2024.03.05 - 00.21.19.48.png

And then with the pivot point incorrectly done.

Desktop Screenshot 2024.03.05 - 00.22.08.62.pngDesktop Screenshot 2024.03.05 - 00.23.06.35.png

Any help is greatly appreciated.

RF control surfaces rotate the X-axis (the red one)

attached images show the general correct orientations.
2023-08-10 12_44_48-Blender_ [D__Robert_Documents_Wings 3d_P-51 A_p-51A v5.blend].jpg2023-08-10 12_44_20-Blender_ [D__Robert_Documents_Wings 3d_P-51 A_p-51A v5.blend].jpg2023-08-10 12_43_25-Blender_ [D__Robert_Documents_Wings 3d_P-51 A_p-51A v5.blend].jpg

see this

Thank you for the reply. The issue isn't so much that the pivot is incorrect, thanks to the material you guys posted way before I was able to do all of that correctly. With the pivot at the correct angle though it creates this weird visual artifact. I have looked at that thread before because I think that is what's happening. Is there a fix for that within blender?

I don't know what is not working or changed from the way it was before. I have been using the older importer from 9.5S to make the kex then import that into RF EVO. which is not a solution everyone can do, but I don't understand the issue or how the fix works well enough to know how to fix it.

Here's what I've done in 3ds Max but I don't know if you can do the same thing in Blender. To fix a single part or a few parts I delete everything except the bad parts. Then I export the bad parts to an OBJ file. In the OBJ exporter dialog box there's a "checkbox" to turn OFF exporting the "normals", so I uncheck it and export the OBJ. Then when you import the OBJ file the "normals" are recreated, which fixes the normals problem. When the parts are exported to an OBJ the "~CS" is removed from the part name so you have to fix that and the color of the part is random so you need to fix that. I don't know if that will help you but I thought I'd share it with you.

Here's what I've done in 3ds Max but I don't know if you can do the same thing in Blender. To fix a single part or a few parts I delete everything except the bad parts. Then I export the bad parts to an OBJ file. In the OBJ exporter dialog box there's a "checkbox" to turn OFF exporting the "normals", so I uncheck it and export the OBJ. Then when you import the OBJ file the "normals" are recreated, which fixes the normals problem. When the parts are exported to an OBJ the "~CS" is removed from the part name so you have to fix that and the color of the part is random so you need to fix that. I don't know if that will help you but I thought I'd share it with you.

I dont think that will work because the OBJ file deletes the pivots. which the rotated pivots are the source of the problem.

the only thing I can think to do is to use small objects as pivot holders (for rotated pivots) and seperate objects as graphical repersentations. and that is just a theory I have not tried it yet.

I dont think that will work because the OBJ file deletes the pivots. which the rotated pivots are the source of the problem.

the only thing I can think to do is to use small objects as pivot holders (for rotated pivots) and seperate objects as graphical repersentations. and that is just a theory I have not tried it yet.
Am I confused? I thought we were trying to fix a graphical issue caused by bad normals? And since the complaint was only for the rudder redoing one pivot point to fix the normal issue seems to be a small thing. Maybe I'm confused on what the real issue is.

And I don't seem to remember having to redo the pivot points when I did the OBJ trick to fix the normals. I guess I need to check that out.

Thank you guys for the help! The problem was with the normals all I had to do was rotate those to be perpendicular to the part and now it looks the way it should! Anyone else with the issue in edit mode select all the faces and from the menu go to mesh--normals--rotate or you can alt+n and rotate

I had the part selected and in edit mode. Make sure that auto smooth within normals on the data side panel is checked
Desktop Screenshot 2024.03.05 - 19.02.11.68.png
This should allow you to rotate the normals. This will change the visuals within blender too.

I had the part selected and in edit mode. Make sure that auto smooth within normals on the data side panel is checked
View attachment 138335
This should allow you to rotate the normals. This will change the visuals within blender too.

cool... the question was after that "when you left click to lock in the rotate" what do you see in this window2024-03-05 20_50_32-Blender_ [D__Robert_Documents_Wings 3d_B-42 43 mix jet master_B-43 v3.blend].png

because I am still getting the issue
2024-03-05 23_06_57-RealFlight Evolution.png

I had it set to -90 on the Y axis on global orientation with Y being the constraint.

Desktop Screenshot 2024.03.05 - 21.23.08.82.png

This has to be done after every edit though.

See this post by Ryan Douglas for a fix regarding the rotated Normals, it only seems to be a concern when importing into RFE, and using the latest 3DSMax, I have not seen the problem in previous versions of RF.

Back