C

JAS GRIPEN EDF 80mm_AV

chuckywhiskers submitted a new upload:

JAS GRIPEN EDF 80mm_AV

This is further fine-tuning a canard system for high AOA. I based this loosely on the Freewing 80mm Gripen.

Brakes and air brakes only work in modes other than hi alpha and only when the gear is down and down elevator is applied over 70%. The Freewing version doesn't have these but the canards can work the same way.

Crow is enabled on flap switch, but the Freewing version does not have flaps to the best of my knowledge.

Thrust vectoring is enabled for Hi Alpha and stability modes.

I'd...

View the Swap Page

Hey there, love the Gripens you put up. I absolutely adore my FW 80mm JAS-39 Gripen, so I was looking for something to get better with it in the sim on those rainy/windy/snowy days. And yours comes pretty close, but there is a bit of room for improvement.

1. Roll rate seems sluggish throughout the envelope compared to the EDF from Freewing. At higher speeds it will absolutely drillbit across the sky...so I've had to become better about recovering from any orientation in real life. This one just seems to roll more like the Eflite F/A-18D I have. Not terrible, but not accurate for the Gripen. Perhaps the Canards need more throw in the roll axis?
2. Power. Lord almighty does this model scoot in the sim. In real life, on the 1920kv inrunner you don't have that luxury so you must choose your alpha altitude and direction very carefully. One wrong move and you'll drop the nose and if you don't have the altitude to save it you don't have the *** in the motor to punch it back up.
3. Alpha mode. I cannot, for the life of me, alpha like I can in real life with the alpha mode selected. I can alpha far better in stability mode. I'd actually recommend removing this unless for some reason some people are dead set on it.

Those are my initial thoughts on two flights, and I have probably around 50 flights on the Freewing Gripen for comparison. I'm still learning the real bird, but I wanted to give you, hopefully, constructive feedback instead of just tell you how the plane bloooows. Which it does not. It's a phenomenal airframe and shares some of the quirks of the Freewing 80mm so I can definitely get some good practice in.

I will definitely make some changes to try to get closer to what you are telling me. The alpha mode I was messing with has a gyro set up on the canards to level them when the nose comes up the way a full scale jet's fly-by-wire system controls them. It makes sense you wouldn't be able to achieve as much of an angle of attack this way as you would with canards acting against the airflow. But like I said, it was just an experiment to see what the best way to manipulate the canards in high alpha situations. I agree, even then it isn't quite right. Thanks for the insight!

Back