jerks on multiplayer.

nonpareil_one said:
That being said what I would really like to see to make multiplayer more robust in G4 is a stand alone server similar to multiplayer 3d games. A stand alone server supporting large numbers of players doesn't need a '3d gaming' system with the real time rendering capabilities needed to run G4 itself. These executables are light weight and low cpu users allowing multiple instances (different fields, conditions, etc) on even lower powered computer hardware.

Most of these can be configured with multiple levels of administration settings allowing pilots to have a circle of mature and trusted friends maintaining order, making changes to fields and conditions etc. This would also allow banning. I find when I run my Nonpareil 3d field and someone wants to be a jerk I just have to stop flying because they keep coming back. I have gone and blocked them at my router before but it sure would be easier to just type a console command to keep them out.

Here's my stand alone server wishlist

1. Win32 and Linux binaries
2. Multiple "admins" with adjustable levels of authority.
3. Up to 32 players
4. Light Weight / Low CPU time
5. Free DL
6. Full support for contests, contests unique to hosted servers with real time controls or judging
7. Eventual support for integrated voice communication
8. KE Partnering with an established game hosting provider for commercial game server hosting

NPO
Agreed!

nonpareil_one said:
I would pay the monthly to a hosting company if KE made a binary server, in a heartbeat. Whether it had cool features or just basic support for admins to maintain it and punt 'jerks' through the console I'd pay...

NPO
I have the opposing opinion: It would not be worth it to me to pay a monthly fee to play RF online.

I don't know. It depends on what G4 is for you. If G4 is a game unto itself for you then MP is a desireable feature. If G4 is a tool for learning before you use techniques in real life, then MP isn't that big of a deal.

However, the one place I could see KE building marketshare among the community is to allow user hosted MP and then begin to host or encourge MP events. If there was a "G4 television" feature (similar to Counter-Strike TV), where others could watch people flying in an event then MP could be used for Fun Fly events, Racetrack competitions, etc. This program doesn't carry a large overhead in MP, or it shouldn't, so a dedicated MP server should potential be able to carry large numbers of players online at any given time, and even larger numbers in "ghost" mode just watching the action.

Heck, get enough interest in the program as a end product, not just a trainer and there might be interest for CAL/CPL type competitions.

dealing with smoke

if ppl start smoking up the place simply go to view then show and then click particles and then you wont see the smoke.

thegoodcop said:
if ppl start smoking up the place simply go to view then show and then click particles and then you wont see the smoke.

Thats not the point there mate, It also kills the frame rates and suck for all.

But ever wonder why they do it? They do it because they get some sort of rush because it's funny to see people angry. They will stop eventually i suppose.

I just got G4 and I have a hard time joining a server so I just host my own. I have had smokers come in, I boot them and they come right back...I'm talking like 25 times here. I could just make my server non-published but then nobody else knows its there either. I would like to make a suggestion for the next update...let hosts ban i.p. addresses from even joining. That would shut down a lot of the troublemakers.

wristwatcher said:
I just got G4 and I have a hard time joining a server so I just host my own. I have had smokers come in, I boot them and they come right back...I'm talking like 25 times here. I could just make my server non-published but then nobody else knows its there either. I would like to make a suggestion for the next update...let hosts ban i.p. addresses from even joining. That would shut down a lot of the troublemakers.
Place that here please. :)
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=19573

Back