Ke, You Need To Come Up For A Solution For This!

Norton

Hey all,
I have had the G3 sim for along time now and yes i love it. I even bought it for one friend in England and two out here in California! That's $ 800.00 not including add-on's. This problem with being able to host is getting BIG TIME OLD! I have done Everything as far as config on my router and no go, also unhooked it too. (Does not work). From what i see more than alot of people are having the same problem? Whats up here? Dropped the firewalls Etc,Etc. All ports are open, unpn is good? Whats going on here? These are guy's i used to fly with at a local club and we want to fly again! I'm not going to swear but i feel like it. You guy's need to come up with a fix for this! Multiplayer means multiplayer! Come on, there has to be a fix for all these people: IP TO IP, somthing!!!!! HELL ANYTHING! If you read my posts you will know that i love the sim and never have been malicious in any way on this forum. Please just give me and us some help here. Seems to me that ip to ip would mean we don't need to fill up your server also? Does'nt matter, any help would be great!

Please help us, Tnorton...........

System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
Memory: 1014MB RAM
DX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video Card: RADEON 9200
MFR: ATI Technologies Inc.
Version: 6.14.0010.6542 (English)
Date: 5/12/2005 18:15:28, 228864 bytes
CD-ROM (?:\) TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B (?)
Installed in: C:\Program Files\RealFlightG3
Free Disk Space (C:\): 45254 mb free
RFG3 Serial:
Interlink Plus Controller Serial:
RF AddOn1 Serial:
Launcher Version: 1.00.142
RealFlight G3: 3.00.410

Last edited:
Most people are having problems because of NAT firewalls & routers.

Try running G3 on a properly configured local network and you'll see that it runs without problems and can host all day long without dropping a connection.

An internet connection SHOULD be as problem free, but it usually isn't, but in a way it's up to you to fix the problem.

Yeah I know, that doesn't sound great...

I've connected to many hosted games on the net, and also hosted a few.

I've seen the dropped connections, etc.

Latency issues seem to be the main culprit for disconnected sessions.

KE may have some luck making the internet windows more tolerant, but the side effect will be the dreaded "zooming" tendancy so often seen in other multiplayer games.

It would be nice to have a latency report, etc. built in to isolate this stuff though.

I'm agree with you.
A step by step information to setup firewall in windows, what to enable or desable... How to setup the local network and router.
Here I'm able to host without broblems but when I try to joint it's a another world.
Many of members dont have any dificulties. Why nut simply shared a clear step by step information?
Sory for my english, I try to learn.
Thanks
J-F. ;)

This has been a problem ever since g2, hell, realrace prolly has the same problem, but i have NEVER seen a solution from KE about this. I havent been on the sim in like a month now, it gets old flyin alone, plus flyin the same ol planes all the time get old too, but i wont go into detail about that.

I've tried to open the ports necessary to host but I still get the message that server cannot find my IP address.

Once you are beyond opening the right ports you are in no-man's land and "there be dragons here".

A how to, would only say "open ports XXX-XXX" and that's about it, since most routers differ in their configuration. Everyone tends to refer you back to the respective router's manuals.

Many people don't even know how to get to their own router's configuration page.

In any event going beyond this requires using a lot of sleuthing and network debugging skills.

Exacerbating the whole mess is that ISP's rarely care to deal with issues with firewalls & routers, and avoid the whole thing because it's a support quagmire.

Then too, some ISP's may and do purposely block port ranges, etc.

That's not to say that KE is without fault.

A lot of internet aware programs do provide a mechanism to check LAN/WAN connectivity and suggest possible workarounds.

Something like this would go a long way to avoid these issues while eliminating support calls.

That is total rubbish........

I am a Network Engineer for many years, I have designed many LANs and WANS with various Firewalls and routers. THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT WORK WITH NAT PERIOD!

My Network supports EVERY OTHER MULTIPLAYER game made, I play them all, PC, PS2, XBOX, I host and I join.

Realflight G3 will not work regardless of how many ports I open or forward. The only way it works is if I remove my router and connect DIRECTLY to my ISP binding the public address to my NIC.

Just come out and say that NAT is not supported or make it work, simple.

kaptkaos said:

I am a Network Engineer for many years, I have designed many LANs and WANS with various Firewalls and routers. THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT WORK WITH NAT PERIOD!

My Network supports EVERY OTHER MULTIPLAYER game made, I play them all, PC, PS2, XBOX, I host and I join.

Realflight G3 will not work regardless of how many ports I open or forward. The only way it works is if I remove my router and connect DIRECTLY to my ISP binding the public address to my NIC.

Just come out and say that NAT is not supported or make it work, simple.

Then why is it working for me through my NAT router?

kaptkaos said:

Proof of what those Cracker Jack acreditations are worth.

It does work, just not for you with your Network Engineering skill.

It would have behooved you to try a wee bit of packet sniffing, to avoid making such silly assertions.

Last edited:
I am a newbie to G3 but can see that I will want multiplayer functions sooner or later. I am trying to convince friends to buy copies so we can practice some synchronized flying and pylon racing.

But ... the reason for the post ... I do agree that we may have a problem. My machines are behind a router so they have local IP addresses (192.168.x.x). If I want to host a session, it appears that I won't be able to as what is being registered with the publish server in the sky is my machines local IP address and not my Internet IP address.

It appears that the G3 client is sniffing my Interface cards and sending the local IP addresses as opposed to receiving a request to publish a hosting session and asking "What is the IP Address of the requesting machine as taken from the publish request".

For example ... my machine is 192.168.1.2 on my local LAN. Through the router it may have IP Address 1.2.3.4.

When I publish a request to host, IP address 192.168.1.2 is being SENT to the publish server as opposed to the Publish Server saying ... "Who is asking for a publish? Oh ... the connection came from 1.2.3.4 ... that is the address I will allow clients to connect to". Combine this with a 'well known port' and I can configure my router to send connection requests targeted from the Internet to 1.2.3.4[port] to 192.169.1.2[port].

When I query the list of hosting machines, I see 3 or 4 at most. This may be expected (relatively low volume software) but I would certainly host if I could ... but can't because of the router issue.

Neil

kolban said:
I am a newbie to G3 but can see that I will want multiplayer functions sooner or later. I am trying to convince friends to buy copies so we can practice some synchronized flying and pylon racing.

But ... the reason for the post ... I do agree that we may have a problem. My machines are behind a router so they have local IP addresses (192.168.x.x). If I want to host a session, it appears that I won't be able to as what is being registered with the publish server in the sky is my machines local IP address and not my Internet IP address.

It appears that the G3 client is sniffing my Interface cards and sending the local IP addresses as opposed to receiving a request to publish a hosting session and asking "What is the IP Address of the requesting machine as taken from the publish request".

For example ... my machine is 192.168.1.2 on my local LAN. Through the router it may have IP Address 1.2.3.4.

When I publish a request to host, IP address 192.168.1.2 is being SENT to the publish server as opposed to the Publish Server saying ... "Who is asking for a publish? Oh ... the connection came from 1.2.3.4 ... that is the address I will allow clients to connect to". Combine this with a 'well known port' and I can configure my router to send connection requests targeted from the Internet to 1.2.3.4[port] to 192.169.1.2[port].

When I query the list of hosting machines, I see 3 or 4 at most. This may be expected (relatively low volume software) but I would certainly host if I could ... but can't because of the router issue.

Neil

Nice going, you put some effort into it instead of ranting...

Where are you seeing the local network interface address in the packet?

As reported on other threads some firmware versions for some routers do not deal with the headers properly, and they have been able to cure some of these issues with a firmware update.

I've been able to host with UPNP and gaming mode turned on. I've also have had no problems assigning my "host" to logically be in my network's DMZ.

BTW: I see between 3-14 hosts up on the net, largely dependant upon the time of day and day of week. It seems that there are more available on weekends as one would expect.

When you setup a hosting session, some new text appears on the console log text messages on the bottom left. I have included a screen shot as an attachment.

My machine has four local TCP/IP addresses (this will not be normal ... you should only expect to see one ... but my machine is set up for testing and has all sorts of weird and wonderful things. I also delibately blanked one out because it would have shown a company VPN IP address).

The core information here is that G3 itself is scanning the local Network Interfaces and has found four. I believe it then publishes these four interfaces to the publishing server. This being the case, the publishing server says 'Shrug ... they have sent me the IP addresses that they want advertized ... ok then that's what I'll use'. Problem with that is that the IP addresses are Local to my private LAN. For those that don't know these things (or care) ... addresses that start 192.168.x.x are your private LAN and will never work across the Internet.

What I believe *should* happen is that the Publishing Server should receive the request from G3 to publish the location of G3 servers but should use the IP address received from the 'request header' as opposed to sent in the body of the data. I know this sounds complicated ... but to make it simple to understand ...

Imagine I call you up by telephone and say ... hey ... I can be reached at 817-555-1234 if you wish to chat to me. This is what happens today. What I am suggesting is that when I call you by telephone I would instead say ... hey ... use the number that shows in your Caller ID to reach me if you want to chat.

I work for a computer company and have been working in computer (TCP/IP) networking for a chunk of years. These are my thoughts and G3/KE may have a great explanation for the way they do things today ... so I am only second guessing them ... all I can say is that if the client is explicitly sending the IP address, it won't (and doesn't) work for the vast majority of us who sit behind routers (which should be all of us in these multi-PC household days).

Neil

Attachments

• G31.jpg
    G31.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 119
kolban said:
When you setup a hosting session, some new text appears on the console log text messages on the bottom left. I have included a screen shot as an attachment.

Neil
Interesting...

My understanding is that RFG3 is just using the IP address (or addresses) that Microsoft DirectPlay says are available for networking. It's interesting in your case, because normally RF refuses to publish on the local adddress blocks (like 192.168.1.xx) Have you had someone report what is being posted on the listing server? I'd be interested if you want to test it some time. You can PM/email me, or if you irc I can point you at a place I'm online.

As an aside... You have seen the posts that say you need to have UPNP enabled to host through a router with RFG3, right?

Unfortunately I don't know anything about 'UPNP'. But ... I believe that there are no APIs (Direct Play or otherwise) that know how to determine the IP Address of the router as seen on the Internet. Without knowing that IP address, there is no way a client can send the address that should be used by other machines to connect to you.

I did a quick search on 'UPNP' and found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upnp

This is outside of my skills base ... sorry. I think the next thing we should hear is a response from the Technical Folks supporting the product as to whether my thinking is off base.

Neil

My router has a checkbox. Enable UPnP. Look around, your router may have that, as well. UPnP aslo has a tendency, at times, to make my model of router reboot... repeatedly. (d-link 614). oh well.

kolban said:
Unfortunately I don't know anything about 'UPNP'. But ... I believe that there are no APIs (Direct Play or otherwise) that know how to determine the IP Address of the router as seen on the Internet. Without knowing that IP address, there is no way a client can send the address that should be used by other machines to connect to you.

I did a quick search on 'UPNP' and found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upnp

This is outside of my skills base ... sorry. I think the next thing we should hear is a response from the Technical Folks supporting the product as to whether my thinking is off base.

Neil
heh. Or you could read one of the other half dozen threads here that talk about this topic already. :)

The point is, RFG3 only works through routers with UPNP enabled or with some messy workarounds with NAT. Knife Edge will tell you about the UPNP requirement (and has in other threads here.)

Back