Knife Edge Software RealFlight 6 Grapple feature

I saw that coming. td9, your hard work paid off. I know you're buying it now.

I think KE would've gotten a much warmer response to RF6 if they would've led with something like this.

Last edited:
:D Ahhhh! Cool! :D
That's definitely worth at least a $50 upgrade.

Nice little surprise...

You posted before we could! :D

That video shows our experimental new grapple feature. It's unfinished, but we're releasing it to you guys because it's already a ton of fun and we think you're going to go nuts with it. We added it in an RF6 update that is already on the server waiting for download.

Watch for these things in the video:
  • The rope extending & retracting. It is controlled by a servo (on the knob in this variant).
  • The grappler engaging/disengaging. This is also controlled by a servo. When on it will grab dynamic objects. When off it will drop them. The ball on the end kind of glows to show when it is turned on.
  • The mass of dynamic objects is taken into consideration. You can see the heli struggle to lift the white barrel before succeeding briefly, only to have it break loose and fall back to earth. You can also see it tug against another barrel like an anchor, whereas the soccer balls are easy to lift.
Currently no stock aircraft contain the grappling hook. It is a component you can add at will in the editor (it works on airplanes, too!).

Attachments

• Grappling Hook.JPG
    Grappling Hook.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 49
Hi !

What about feature like switchable Lights on aircrafts or other motor sounds, Moki for expample ?

You could post a list about all features...would be cool... ;)

maxx

Wow it's soo cool to see a feature come to be from a user experiment. Great idea TD9. I'm so glad we were able to get it to work as much as we did. Congratulations KE on a nice addition and paying attention to the members activities.

Hey TD9, Don't you think you and I and the others involved should get a free upgrade for our contribution? ;)

Sounds like after we buy the upgrade we are getting a free upgrade on the grapple. But, If a RF6 disc showed up, I wouldn't send it back ;)

td9cowboy said:
Sounds like after we buy the upgrade we are getting a free upgrade on the grapple. But, If a RF6 disc showed up, I wouldn't send it back ;)
Exactly. :)

You guys just need a little more patience. ;) The initial information you all saw was leaked earlier than planned, so things like pricing details weren't available (and some of that stuff we simply aren't in a position to comment on ahead of time, anyway).

The grappling hook was not planned for the initial release. But soon after RF6 went gold we had something very usable and fun and wanted to put that out ASAP.

Plus, this way we get to tease you guys with something you can't have yet. I won't lie--that's kind of fun. :)

Ryan Douglas said:
You guys just need a little more patience. ;) The initial information you all saw was leaked earlier than planned, so things like pricing details weren't available (and some of that stuff we simply aren't in a position to comment on ahead of time, anyway).

The grappling hook was not planned for the initial release. But soon after RF6 went gold we had something very usable and fun and wanted to put that out ASAP.

Plus, this way we get to tease you guys with something you can't have yet. I won't lie--that's kind of fun. :)
You Meanies :)

Back