Laptop overheating

etad

I just received my new G3, installed it and started flying. Within a couple of minutes the plane froze in flight and the screen looked like an old movie film burning in a projector :confused: . I got an error message M1004. I turned to laptop off and tried again later and again the screen became a purple haze. Please, can anyone help.

etad said:
the screen looked like an old movie film burning in a projector :confused: . I got an error message M1004. I turned to laptop off and tried again later and again the screen became a purple haze. Please, can anyone help.

It sounds like you are using a incorrect refresh rates, or a incorrect resolution. If this only happens with G3 the is might be some funny resolution code. But it could be a specific Accelerated 3D setting in Windows. G3 might not be maintaining the correct Hz or the correct screen size after it crashes...

The only thing that I know of that can cause that old film effect on a Laptop (lcd) is trying to force the LCD's to draw faster then it should... or drawing a higher resolution then the laptop support. I have seen this same issue on my laptop when messing around with a program called PowerStrip. It happened when trying to force my laptop to drive my HDTV. Basically the LCD crystals can't discharge before they get another burst of electricity. So they start to get whiter and whiter. I think the charge then bleeds to the adjacent crystals.

I ususally force shut down the machine ASAP because I don't know what kind of damage might happen to the crystals, and I can fix a couroupted file systems easier then fried pixels. :D

Last edited:
It works now

Just in case anyone has similar problems that I experienced, I did some things that seem to have worked.

I downloaded the updates that were available for G3 and I elevated my laptop higher off of the table to allow more cooling air to flow into the computer. I don't know for sure if any of these were the reasons for the simulations to run. :)

I did consult the video card chart made available from the administrator which gave me some piece of mind, too.

Back