Lay-Ze

I didn't make the intake very large because I didn't want it to bulge out too much, but after I flew it I went back and made it 15% taller and added one more segment to round out the corner a bit better. It's hard to see those type of changes in a picture unless they're really close shots but here's two more renders of the intake.

Attachments

• Lay-Ze 34.jpg
    Lay-Ze 34.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Lay-Ze 35.jpg
    Lay-Ze 35.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 5
I didn't make the intake very large because I didn't want it to bulge out too much, but after I flew it I went back and made it 15% taller and added one more segment to round out the corner a bit better. It's hard to see those type of changes in a picture unless they're really close shots but here's two more renders of the intake.

The intake looks good. I can't remember the model where the intake opens more as you increase throttle.

Just for fun if you are looking for something different after this one :D : Trivia .. name this helicopter/airplane ?
54cb2805a4680_-_bizarre-aircraft-07-0114-lgn.jpg

Sikorsky S-72 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S-72

Thanks Doug :) Try out the OSFT300Twin torque curve on the Lay-Ze technoid as see what you think. It add quite a bit more zip and is still in keeping with the 300 series.
Personal preference: I put the retracts on Ch.7 switch and activated the brakes on Ch.8 3 pos switch. You already had a brake servo so I just moved it's input to Ch. 9.

Oh. I've been meaning to chime in here but I kept forgetting to. The reason I chose the engine I did was because it had 'less' power since the whole idea of this plane is a slow flying pleasure craft for sight seeing. Just sayin'

Oh. I've been meaning to chime in here but I kept forgetting to. The reason I chose the engine I did was because it had 'less' power since the whole idea of this plane is a slow flying pleasure craft for sight seeing. Just sayin'

Gotcha. Playing around and having fun is all. Trying out a Genoa Quartz 38 right now with a 20 inch 4 bladed prop. Looking for something that can go slow for sight seeing but maybe zip up a little for speed to get places. Sorry if I derailed your thread with my picture.

Gotcha. Playing around and having fun is all. Trying out a Genoa Quartz 38 right now with a 20 inch 4 bladed prop. Looking for something that can go slow for sight seeing but maybe zip up a little for speed to get places. Sorry if I derailed your thread with my picture.

No problem I don't mind open exchanges. And have fun with the engine I just wanted you to know the reason I picked it. It goes vertical okay with the stock engine but not real fast.

No problem I don't mind open exchanges. And have fun with the engine I just wanted you to know the reason I picked it. It goes vertical okay with the stock engine but not real fast.

Are you guys refering to the edgley optica 200? Or a *cough* "pre-release sample" *cough* *cough*? Just kidding ;) but I am curious

Are you guys refering to the edgley optica 200? Or a *cough* "pre-release sample" *cough* *cough*? Just kidding ;) but I am curious

Lay-Ze beta version. You should get that cough looked at :p I'm sure technoid can do something for you.

A small update, not much but I did some work this morning. To cut the holes for the wheel wells in the wing I make a cylinder and a box the right size and depth and then convert them to edit poly and attach them. The same process for the nose gear but you only need a box. So that's what I did today I use them as wheel well templates to do a Boolean operation and cut out the wheel well. I just finished making them and need a break so I'll work on cutting the wheel wells next. I'm wondering how much trouble I'll have with them because there's really two wings to cut though, the outer wing you paint and then the inner wing with the balsa build structure. So the cut will be more complex than normal. That's about it, no pictures but once I get the wheel wells cut I'll post some renders of them.

A small update, not much but I did some work this morning. To cut the holes for the wheel wells in the wing I make a cylinder and a box the right size and depth and then convert them to edit poly and attach them. The same process for the nose gear but you only need a box. So that's what I did today I use them as wheel well templates to do a Boolean operation and cut out the wheel well. I just finished making them and need a break so I'll work on cutting the wheel wells next. I'm wondering how much trouble I'll have with them because there's really two wings to cut though, the outer wing you paint and then the inner wing with the balsa build structure. So the cut will be more complex than normal. That's about it, no pictures but once I get the wheel wells cut I'll post some renders of them.

No hurries. You know this makes a nice electric also. The quiet of the electric motor and the slower flight speed suits it well. I'm sure FE would agree.

No hurries. You know this makes a nice electric also. The quiet of the electric motor and the slower flight speed suits it well. I'm sure FE would agree.

Yes it would be a good option for an electric conversion, so who's gonna do it? I'll provide a version without the exhaust pipes, not on it yet but will be, to the person wanting to do the EP conversion. But I'm not much of an EP guy so I'll let someone else do that part.

A tiny update. I did some more work on creating the wheel wells, the cuts are made and now I'm working on creating the polys for the wheel wells and creating the landing gear doors. I have one of the wing doors finished but I have to go grocery shopping so I'll get back to it later tonight. But it's commng along nicely.

Yes it would be a good option for an electric conversion, so who's gonna do it? I'll provide a version without the exhaust pipes, not on it yet but will be, to the person wanting to do the EP conversion. But I'm not much of an EP guy so I'll let someone else do that part.

I'd be glad to do it. I've already made a prototype before you added the ducting. It's so quiet and peaceful. Mid stick is around 44 MPH but you can fly slower. It's thick wing provides a lot of lift. I've been enjoying the view flying between the trees and barnstorming other stuff. Right now I'm using a Pulse 6S 5000mAh battery and a Kontronik KBM 42-20 motor.

Last edited:
I'd be glad to do it. I've already made a prototype before you added the ducting. It's so quiet and peaceful. Mid stick is around 44 MPH but you can fly slower. It's thick wing provides a lot of lift. I've been enjoying the view flying between the trees and barnstorming other stuff. Right now I'm using a Pulse 6S 5000mAh battery and a Kontronik KBM 42-20 motor.

Is the motor geared or direct drive? The reason I am asking is because it is RF's default motor and some AV's I have seen just change the aircraft to electric and put lots of voltage to that motor. Which I am assuming is small(ish?). If the motor is geared to like 5-7 to 1 disregard depending on the prop the rest of this message. If it is not:

Holy :eek:! That tiny motor motor (Kontronik KBM 42-20) and with a 6S battery pulls 237 amps and pulls the battery down to ~11.7-12.0 volts with a 20x8 2-blade prop. And is "trying" to rev to 40,000+ RPMs

Unless the prop or size of the aircraft has changed. Try Hacker A50 12L or Hacker A50 14L for a 20x8-10 2-blade or a Hacker A50 14L or Hacker A50 16L 20x8-10 4-blade (depending on the prop). For reference the recommended speed controller for those motors is 70 amps found here -> hacker-motor-shop.com

Once I get it ready to release I'll send you a version without exhaust pipes and you can modify the physics and send me an AV with the modified physics in it. Then I'll integrate the physics from your AV with my GLOW version with an entry in the release notes that you did the EP conversion. The gentle flying physics is what I'd want to release it with. OR you can just release an AV for my EA with your modifications in it, your choice.

Back