LF "realistic" giant scale gas powered airplane

Striker

Hi Guys, I am looking for a realistic flying ( kinda difficult) giant scale 3d airplane to swap into RF8. Does anyone know if one exists? Thanks.

Back when I had RF2, there were no 3D aircraft available. So, I designed my own using RF2 to simulate my own aircraft, which was 3D capable. After weeks of fine tuning, I was satisfied with the outcome. There are many adjustments that can be made to weight and balance, throws, power ratio, wing area, etc. that can be made to fit your needs with almost any aircraft that's similar to what you want. If you're going to do a search for something pre-made already, that is suitable to your exact wants, you may have a tough time.

There are many, many. Decide on the airframe (Extra, Edge, Slick, etc., etc.) and the size. Then download and try. One man's realistic is another man's fantasy aircraft. Read up on the differences in the types of aircraft (EA vs CS vs AV, etc.) Many of the top 3D competitors in the country use RF for practice. With a little use of Google, you can easily find what they use, then download it from the swap pages here.
Give us some idea of the models and the sizes you are interested in, and you can get good suggestions.
If brand new, while waiting for those to come in, the stock Yak-54 is very good to start with.

Back when I had RF2, there were no 3D aircraft available. So, I designed my own using RF2 to simulate my own aircraft, which was 3D capable. After weeks of fine tuning, I was satisfied with the outcome. There are many adjustments that can be made to weight and balance, throws, power ratio, wing area, etc. that can be made to fit your needs with almost any aircraft that's similar to what you want. If you're going to do a search for something pre-made already, that is suitable to your exact wants, you may have a tough time.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried modifying my own airplanes but I know that there are many talented guys who would have the realism down to a science.

There are many, many. Decide on the airframe (Extra, Edge, Slick, etc., etc.) and the size. Then download and try. One man's realistic is another man's fantasy aircraft. Read up on the differences in the types of aircraft (EA vs CS vs AV, etc.) Many of the top 3D competitors in the country use RF for practice. With a little use of Google, you can easily find what they use, then download it from the swap pages here.
Give us some idea of the models and the sizes you are interested in, and you can get good suggestions.
If brand new, while waiting for those to come in, the stock Yak-54 is very good to start with.
Hi Flapper, thanks for the reply. I have been flying giant scale for over 20 years starting with the Hangar 9 Edge 540. I would not mind the Yak, Edge, Extra or the Sabach in either 1/4 scale or 33% gas powered. I have Real flight 8, been using RF from the time it came out in the late 90ies :) but will get the 9.5 soon.

I have downloaded some airplanes from the swap pages but all seem too tame to fly. I just find that almost all of the airplanes seems too docile, doing touque rolls on RF is nothing to it in real life, looking for airplanes which has very close to the same characteristics as the real RC ones.

I have learned all of my 3D maneuvers on RF as far as input goes, but though not as realistic, its the stepping stone to get you off to a start with the real RC airplane and then to perfection. As I tell everyone, it helps you to master the stick input.

Thanks so much again guys.

Last edited:
It's hard to exactly interpret what you're looking for. But yes, there are many plane downloads to choose from; maybe you can find something close to what you want and "tweek" it. Nothing substitutes for the real thing and practice.

Rollingcircle, its easy to understand what I am trying to achieve. I am just looking for an airplane that has the same "feel" or physics and geometry as the real RC airplane. I do not care what model it is, once its giant scale and has the same level of flying characteristics when you fly compared to the real RC airplane.

I can hover and torque roll all day with my eyes closed on the sim, try doing that real time at the flying field, that airplane will laugh at you and slap you if it can, if you believe you can fly it as you do in the sim.

I did learn to torque roll, do rolling circles and harrier rolls etc., on the sim..but it feels too "easy" on the sim, I am a bit rusty now after been away from flying for 8 years but want to get back close to where I was.

Everyone tells you flying RC is like riding a bike, you don't forget, well that applies to a bike but not RC airplanes. You will remember the basics but your skill level certainly deteriorates over time if not flying, mine did to a degree especially in 3D. When you hit 50, you really do not fly the same as you did in your 20ies and not flying for 8 years does not help, this is why I am seeking a plane or 2 that will be like the real one and a challenge to bring me back to my skill levels I had.

Yes I can practice with the actual RC model but prefer to nail as much down in the sim before going low and slow again.

Cheers.

I wish you good luck in whatever route you choose. I've found, for me, after a layoff, it was nerves and confidence, but I pursued and became more relaxed. Good Luck!

I wish you good luck in whatever route you choose. I've found, for me, after a layoff, it was nerves and confidence, but I pursued and became more relaxed. Good Luck!

I have been flying for the over a month now and back to about 90% of where I used to be... harrier rolls a bit off and not getting to tie in return from left to right and its stuff like that I whish was similar on the sim. I can do it on the sim easily but out there on the field is not the same. Have to keep trying it RT and not on the sim. Cheers and thanks for all the replies.

Hi Flapper, thanks for the reply. I have been flying giant scale for over 20 years starting with the Hangar 9 Edge 540. I would not mind the Yak, Edge, Extra or the Sabach in either 1/4 scale or 33% gas powered. I have Real flight 8, been using RF from the time it came out in the late 90ies :) but will get the 9.5 soon.

I have downloaded some airplanes from the swap pages but all seem too tame to fly. I just find that almost all of the airplanes seems too docile, doing touque rolls on RF is nothing to it in real life, looking for airplanes which has very close to the same characteristics as the real RC ones.

I have learned all of my 3D maneuvers on RF as far as input goes, but though not as realistic, its the stepping stone to get you off to a start with the real RC airplane and then to perfection. As I tell everyone, it helps you to master the stick input.

Thanks so much again guys.
Hi Striker! I too have been flying RF since the 90's.... Just got 9.5 Sunday 10/03/21.. (yesterday) so after work today, I will try multiplayer....

Hi Striker! I too have been flying RF since the 90's.... Just got 9.5 Sunday 10/03/21.. (yesterday) so after work today, I will try multiplayer....

Hi Rcflyer2k4, thanks for the reply. That's great that you got 9.5. How do you like it? Which version you had before this one, since you are in this forum I am assuming RF 8..

I found am a bit happier now with some more realistic RF flying since in the Physics settings, I dialed up the Flight Model to realistic, which I thought I had done before, Physics Speed to 100% and of course always had Auto Pilot Assist set to None.

Give me an update please on 9.5.

Cheers.

Back