Lightning

technoid

I decided to release Lightning for RF 7.5 so I thought I'd create a new build thread for it here. Here's a few pictures of it to get the thread going. I'm currently finishing up some work on the guns and then I'll add the retracts. Then my favorite part, mapping it.

Attachments

• Lightning 20.jpg
    Lightning 20.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Lightning 23.jpg
    Lightning 23.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Lightning 29.jpg
    Lightning 29.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 20
Now we await the tools. Thanks for another great model. It could be the last one ever for RF7.5 .. there should be some kind of award for that :confused:

Now we await the tools. Thanks for another great model. It could be the last one ever for RF7.5 .. there should be some kind of award for that :confused:

Thanks I'm glad you like Lightning but it won't be the last model for RF 7.5 from me as I've decided to continue modeling for RF 7.5 at this time. That could change later as RF-X matures but right now RF 7.5 is a much better fit for me.

Thanks I'm glad you like Lightning but it won't be the last model for RF 7.5 from me as I've decided to continue modeling for RF 7.5 at this time. That could change later as RF-X matures but right now RF 7.5 is a much better fit for me.

Depending on how performance of RF-X does it might be a good thing (and it's not looking good as people with mega $$$$ systems are having poor performance). The system I plan on using is just above the minimums for it. If I have to not only use it on my gaming system but put more improvements into it I won't be using it much.

On topic I wish I could find something I think needs improving on Lightning but it's all personal preference stuff so far.

I started working on the retracts and they've been a big pain because they're laid out different than any of the others I did, so work has been slow on them. Plus I'm feeling a bit burnt out too. Anyway here's a render showing what I have, the two retracts on the Booms.

If anyone knows if there's a why to span Smoothing Groups across objects I'd really like some help in that area. When I cut out the gear doors they're a separate object so I can animate them but then they show up a lot because the bottom side of the boom doesn't have a lot of segments but the smoothing groups still make them round looking. But since the doors are narrow and flat the smoothing group across that single flat area doesn't help make the door look rounded to the boom. So I'm looking for a way to help that. I noticed the P-38 Lightning on the Swap Pages has the same problem. So if anyone can help me make them look better let me know. Thanks!

Also if anyone is interested in the RF-X Interlink I got with my package I'll sell it for 70 and ship it to you, but act quickly I may have another way to let it go. Oh I haven't used it except to plug it in and see if it would work with RF 7.5, it loaded the drivers but RF 7.5 said there wasn't a controller available. I haven't even taken the tie wrap of the cable I just sit it close to the computer.

Attachments

• Lightning 35.jpg
    Lightning 35.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 13
I was I could help with your issue. It's looking great. I've been flying the beta 3 quite a bit as I like planes best in RF. If you need to take a break do so. You've been working on a new model constant the last few weeks. Treat yourself to something fun. I just shelved my RF-X for now. Also don't tell my wife but today I just bought ANOTHER heli. :eek: That will make 13 helis total which reminds me technoid .. you still have that real life plane to get built. That might be a good change of pace.

I was I could help with your issue. It's looking great. I've been flying the beta 3 quite a bit as I like planes best in RF. If you need to take a break do so. You've been working on a new model constant the last few weeks. Treat yourself to something fun. I just shelved my RF-X for now. Also don't tell my wife but today I just bought ANOTHER heli. :eek: That will make 13 helis total which reminds me technoid .. you still have that real life plane to get built. That might be a good change of pace.

No kidding I keep saying I'm going to stop modeling and work on it, but then get on the computer instead. But yeah I finally need to start working on it.

nice gear doors even though the smoothing across the objects is a problem hopefully boof or one of the other modelers will see this and help out

Tech, when you tried out RF-X, did you have your InterLink Elite plugged in? If so, you then flew with the Interlink Elite? It wasn't until afterwards you tried the Interlink-X ?
I ask because I found that X will fly with either, however if you fly with the old, X will not see the new until you unplug the old, and reboot the system, then plug the new link in and let x find it and ask to center all up. At that time you can fly with the new link, then shut down, reboot and go into RF6 or 7, plug the old link back in and it will work. However, the old RF's will see the old link, X will see the new link and you can leave both links plugged in all the time. One more note, the X link really "PREFERS" a USB3 slot, though it will work on a USB2.

Tech, when you tried out RF-X, did you have your InterLink Elite plugged in? If so, you then flew with the Interlink Elite? It wasn't until afterwards you tried the Interlink-X ?
I ask because I found that X will fly with either, however if you fly with the old, X will not see the new until you unplug the old, and reboot the system, then plug the new link in and let x find it and ask to center all up. At that time you can fly with the new link, then shut down, reboot and go into RF6 or 7, plug the old link back in and it will work. However, the old RF's will see the old link, X will see the new link and you can leave both links plugged in all the time. One more note, the X link really "PREFERS" a USB3 slot, though it will work on a USB2.

Okay thanks for the info, but here's what I did.

1. Installed X.
2. Started and Played X with the Old Interlink, NEVER with the New Link.

Then when I was curious if maybe RF 7.5 would see it I took the new Link out of the box, left the cable tie on it and set it next to the computer (USB 2). Started RF 7.5 and it didn't see it so I unplugged the New Link and put it back in the box. So the New Link has never been used in X, only tested to see if RF 7.5 would see it.

SO.. Being honest I have no use for the New Interlink and wished I bought the Software Only option like I started to do. RF-X just isn't for me I like flying 2D fields and 3D fields are only something I play with once in a while. I was so excited to hear the Developer Tools were going to be released I bought the whole package. Anyway the New Interlink is virtually unused, but it did start up and load the drivers okay so I'm sure it would work in X. But I just won't use it I don't want to bother with two Interlinks sitting around. So I have something to sit and look pretty in a box I guess.

On the topic of the Lightning try out having the brakes on the elevator servo. It makes it really nice for carrier takeoffs and landings. You can even hold full elevator and pop the nose wheel right up for a quick STOL takeoff.

On the topic of the Lightning try out having the brakes on the elevator servo. It makes it really nice for carrier takeoffs and landings. You can even hold full elevator and pop the nose wheel right up for a quick STOL takeoff.

BrokeDad he has brakes on the EL , being a tri gear push down EL to apply

I think I will put them on both now just because :) I'm waiting for a new heli .. c'mon already FedEx !!

I finished the retracts and angled the front gear 10 degrees forward to look like the real plane. I also added the rest of the scoops and the fancy hinges on the rudder and worked on the intakes on the booms to round them out. So I'm very close to being ready for mapping. I still have a few small things to take care of but I'm getting there. Here's a couple of pictures for you.

Attachments

• Lightning 36.jpg
    Lightning 36.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Lightning 37.jpg
    Lightning 37.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 11
Back