Lockheed P2 Neptune

It's been a long day. I didn't quite get as much done as I would have liked, but I think I'm calling it quits for the night. Here's some pics of the progress.

Attachments

• Image9.jpg
    Image9.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Image10.jpg
    Image10.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 15
  • Image11.jpg
    Image11.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Image12.jpg
    Image12.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 18
Exterior cleaned up, smoothed, and sensor blisters added. Poly count now 10,690.

Attachments

• Image13.jpg
    Image13.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 21
I'm still modeling, but I imported it to RF just to see how everything rendered.

Attachments

• Image14.jpg
    Image14.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 14
Most of the UVW mapping is complete and I've set up initial pivots (some still need tweaking). I've imported into RF to fine tune the gear, doors, and the other motion I have planned for this plane.

Note: This is just the exterior. No cockpit or observation dome details have been added yet.

Attachments

• Image15.jpg
    Image15.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Image16.jpg
    Image16.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 14
I've gotten started on the paint job.

Attachments

• Image17.jpg
    Image17.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I still have a lot of work to do on this, before it's ready for general release. For a big pig, however, this thing is a real blast to fly so here's a preview.

The Neptune was one of the first aircraft to be fitted with both piston and jet engines, and I've replicated that here. Physics have not been fine tuned yet but it's perfectly flyable without any tweaking.

Controls are pretty much standard except for the jet assist, which is on the 3-position switch, giving you 0, 50, & 100% boost. I'm not sure if this plane could fly on just the jets or not. In any case I've set it up such that with the reciprocating engines at idle and jets at full boost, the plane will just barely stay aloft with flaps deployed. This seemed about right to me, but if anyone has any real historical data on this plane please let me know.

Doug

Attachments

• P2V-7 Neptune_EA.RFX
    582.7 KB · Views: 19
  • ScreenShot1249787463.jpg
    ScreenShot1249787463.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
It is pretty much "out of the box", about the only thing I adjusted was the weight of the fuselage. And this was just so that it wouldn't have a ridiculous wing loading.

Excellent! I tend to fly from the cockpit view because I have a lot of flight time. This is one of the most realistic simulated RC airplanes I have flown.

I just heard from a real Neptune driver. He reported that the ops manual for the plane said not to operate it on jets alone, however, the plane could stay aloft with just the jets functioning. So when I finalize the physics, I'll add a touch more power to the jets (in relation to final aircraft weight, of course). I think just shy of being able to take off with just the jets.

Doug

Made a lot of progress on both the interior details and the colorscheme this evening.

Attachments

• Image18.jpg
    Image18.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 23
I think I'm done with the 3D model and colorscheme (at least I've pretty much run out of polys, 19,402 used). I should be able to do the final import into RF and then touch up the physics tonight.

Attachments

• Image19.jpg
    Image19.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Image20.jpg
    Image20.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 24
Back