Mamba 120cc

This project unfortunately is dead. After a lightning strike close to the house, I’ve lost everything on my computer. It sucks but it is what it is. Not sure when/if I’ll be able to model again but hopefully it won’t be long.

This project unfortunately is dead. After a lightning strike close to the house, I’ve lost everything on my computer. It sucks but it is what it is. Not sure when/if I’ll be able to model again but hopefully it won’t be long.
Ugh, that's terrible. I'm sure sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll come back better than ever. But that kind of loss is hard to bear.

That is the worst news ever!!!
Hopefully you can retrieve some data from the hard drive.

Oh man, that sucks Andy, I know the feeling. My computer fried right before I was going to complete the CS I was doing on your Pitts Challenger. Nothing was retrievable, and had to start all over again...AAARRRRHHHGGGGG !!!!! The same thing happened when I making the PZL-P1, Wings 3-D crashed TWICE. I don`t how I found what it took to go forward and complete those two projects, I was just so pissed that I was just driven mentally to complete them. I feel for ya, and hope you don`t give up, your wok is great..... (y) (y) :):)

Possibly stupid idea, but I've actually seen it work. If your data is stored on a spinning HD, it's likely that the controller board on the drive is fried, but the data might still present on the platters. Swap the board from an IDENTICAL drive. I did it successfully ONCE. But I had access to a couple hundred used drives, a few of which were identical to the failed drive. Probably wouldn't work for an SSD - the storage medium is probably on the fried board along with the interface.
P.S. It shows the value of backups to external media - which I admit I don't do often enough. You don't own your data - you're only leasing it from fate.

Possibly stupid idea, but I've actually seen it work. If your data is stored on a spinning HD, it's likely that the controller board on the drive is fried, but the data might still present on the platters. Swap the board from an IDENTICAL drive. I did it successfully ONCE. But I had access to a couple hundred used drives, a few of which were identical to the failed drive. Probably wouldn't work for an SSD - the storage medium is probably on the fried board along with the interface.
P.S. It shows the value of backups to external media - which I admit I don't do often enough. You don't own your data - you're only leasing it from fate.
Only stupid idea is one not mentioned. However, I’m too stupid to know what any of that means. 🤣 I would assume though that a laptop wouldn’t have the space to house a spinning HD, but then again, I’m a floor guy not a computer guy.

What is the make and model of the hard drive?
Yes, laptops (a few years old) had spinning disc HD's. newer laptops have SSD drives.

Looking at specs online, that laptop probably came with a spinning HD. It's of an age that it's unlikely to have an MSATA or m.2 NVME SSD. If it does have an SSD it's probably the same physical format as a 2-1/2" spinner. Did the repair shop pull the storage and try to access it in a different machine? Many "repair shops" would just say something like "It's dead. Let me sell you a new machine" partially because it doesn't take much damage to make a laptop uneconomical to repair. Except for the HD/SSD, RAM, & CPU, the components are all proprietary and nothing generic will fit.

Looking at specs online, that laptop probably came with a spinning HD. It's of an age that it's unlikely to have an MSATA or m.2 NVME SSD. If it does have an SSD it's probably the same physical format as a 2-1/2" spinner. Did the repair shop pull the storage and try to access it in a different machine? Many "repair shops" would just say something like "It's dead. Let me sell you a new machine" partially because it doesn't take much damage to make a laptop uneconomical to repair. Except for the HD/SSD, RAM, & CPU, the components are all proprietary and nothing generic will fit.
The guy I had look at it just said it is far too damaged to try and fix. I only used it for modeling so not enough to justify dumping money into it to me. It sucks to lose my files but at the moment financially it’s not a priority. I’ll hang on to it though and when I’m able to replace it I’ll see then if anything is salvageable. Won’t do me any good now anyway since it’s my only computer.

I will say this, it does have two drives. One smaller, one quite a bit larger. The smaller was full of my programs and old files. The larger one has all my newer models on it.

I'd probably have recommended almost the same thing, for the reasons I mentioned. But I would have at least tried to access the HD in another machine. Pull the HD & send it to me. I've been repairing/reconditioning PC's & laptops for 30+ years, but I'm retired now. No charge & no promises, but I'd like to give it a try. You're too good at this stuff to lose all your work. Start a conversation with me to work out the details if you want me to try. I don't want to post much personal info except my name & City/State in public.
P.S. Remove the bottom panel & there should be 2x2-1/2" drive bays under the palmrest.

So, I had someone go back through my laptop and he was able to Frankenstein it back together. Luckily my HD is still in good shape and nothing seems to be lost. I'm fairly tied up at the time getting ready to move my daughter to college, vacation is coming up, and I have several side jobs going on in the evenings to help make a few extra bucks to cover all of this, so it'll be a little while yet before I get back into working on this again. However, I did want to make it known for those wanting it that this project isn't dead after all. I will definitely go through the files thoroughly to make sure nothing is corrupt before getting back to it.

Back