Mapping in 3DS max

Boof69

This tutorial covers the entire process of mapping in 3DS max. Designed for the person who doesn't know where to start with mapping. It uses a quick planar map technique that yields good results quickly. I used the default Teapot object in Max. This was so that a person following this tutorial quickly has an object to work with. Also I am posting this in other forums. I realize DHK79 has made a mapping tutorial. This tutorial is very in depth with walk thru. 70 plus images make it very easy to follow. It was quite an undertaking but allot of fun. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Mapping in 3DS Max.pdf.rfx
    29.9 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I added a link to this thread in the "how to" sticky, but would like your permission to actually attach a copy of your file there, next to the other files.

Doug

Nice Tutorial

Nice Tutorial. It is much easier then I would have expected it to be. I use the multiUnwrap plug-in and my own technique and it works out pretty well. Your way of doing it takes me about the same amount of work. :D

I do appreciate the tutorial as well. Anything to make me more comfortable with Max!

Thanks. It's just one technique out of many right? I have found this way to be easy to teach as it takes a little less tweaking than some other ways.

Boof69 said:
Thanks. It's just one technique out of many right? I have found this way to be easy to teach as it takes a little less tweaking than some other ways.
Absolutely agree. The multiUnwrap tool takes a lot of tweaking to get it to select the appropriate amounts of faces at certain degree variations, otherwise when you wanted it to select and make two maps of one wing, it could make just one whole map.

However if tweaked correctly it works amazing and you can have a map done in about 50 seconds plus the 5 or so minutes of tweaking the layout and degree of variation yourself.

Nice tutorial, very simple and effective for new max users. :D

By the way, I like your use of the Teapot :)

Last edited:
Problem

Boof, when I try to expand the UVM thingy, I can't. Its grey and un-unchekable its pg 10 on the pdf... :(

Bjornke said:
Nice Tutorial. It is much easier then I would have expected it to be. I use the multiUnwrap plug-in and my own technique and it works out pretty well. Your way of doing it takes me about the same amount of work. :D

Wait, ITS A PLUG-IN?!?!

Ghost129er,
When you post here, would you please keep in mind that the members who have your answers have children older than you? We are not 12 years old. Interesting that there are some members that I did not really know are kids, until they said their age.

Ghost129er said:
even while expanding the unwrap uvm, theres no + to expand it...
Never had this happen to me. The only thing that ever stops me from using that modifier is if I still had a sub-object type selected for the part I want to unwrap. ie. vertex,edge,border,face,or element. Even then I could expand the modifier.

Back