Maxum STOL

technoid

I decided to start a build thread for a new project I plan to do. I'm going to take some reference pictures and create a new plane from them, but not a direct copy, just something close. I enjoyed modeling Boomer and couldn't think of a real plane I wanted to do so I thought I'd create a plane from some reference pictures and see what it turns out like. Here's the pictures I'll use as a reference.

Draco 3D Model 01.jpgDraco 3D Model 02.jpgDraco 3D Model 03.jpgDraco 3D Model 04.jpgDraco 3D Model 05.jpg

I decided to start a build thread for a new project I plan to do. I'm going to take some reference pictures and create a new plane from them, but not a direct copy, just something close. I enjoyed modeling Boomer and couldn't think of a real plane I wanted to do so I thought I'd create a plane from some reference pictures and see what it turns out like. Here's the pictures I'll use as a reference.

View attachment 135354View attachment 135355View attachment 135356View attachment 135357View attachment 135358

Oooo neat

so not the wilga 2000 "draco" but something similar to it. I think I have that 3d model from the screen shots and had it in rf at one point too. but the one i have now is on floats and I just use the EA from the swaps

ScreenShot1689660597.jpg

Oooo neat

so not the wilga 2000 "draco" but something similar to it. I think I have that 3d model from the screen shots and had it in rf at one point too. but the one i have now is on floats and I just use the EA from the swaps

View attachment 135359
I forgot that plane of yours. I'm just not a good scale modeler so the best I can do is one of my fantasy planes that looks sort of like it. It'll be different enough it won't be it for sure.

Last edited:
I started on the project. I copied the last file from Boomer and removed everything I didn't want and then changed the name to Maxum STOL. I also grabbed the top, side, and front reference pictures and cut them out and then gave them a white background. Those are the pictures I'll import and work from.

I decided to go back and get the fuselage from the Tractor 120 project (boomers parent) right after it was shaped but before any of the cutouts or chamfer was added. That saves me a lot of time creating a new fuselage, but that's a very square fuselage so I may not get it as rounded as I was planning. But like I said this isn't a copy of the reference pictures just something that looks like them Anyway we'll see what it looks like after I start shaping it.

I got ahead of myself for posting the reference pictures in the first post. I did a little more work to the basic fuselage and then started adding segments to shape it with, and it's going to look more like a refined Boomer. So scratch any mental image you've formed of Maxum and start thinking of a refined Boomer. Sorry about that my scale skills are sadly lacking. But it will be rounded out nicely so it should be better looking.

I've been refining the shape. The fuselage was a little too thick below the wing so I raised the bottom up a bit. I also raised and rounded the fuselage where the wing meets it so it's a tiny bit above the wing and rounded a little. It's hard to see that in the picture. I also rounded the leading edge of the ailerons and flaps instead of having the triangle shape that Boomer had. It adds a cleaner look to me. Again that's hard to see in the picture. Now I need to do the same thing to the elevator and rudder. I mentioned I might make Maxium a little larger than Boomer but I'm not sure I'm going to do that, 100 inches is a pretty good size.

Maxum STOL 04.jpg

A short update. I mentioned I rounded off the leading edge of the ailerons and flaps to make them a little nicer looking so I just finished doing the same thing to the elevator and rudder. I also reduced the width of the elevator and rudder one half inch, which also reduced the length of the fuselage one half inch. The control surfaces are still plenty wide so they still have plenty of control authority. Oh. I also pulled the bottom fin on the vertical stabilizer forward. I'm thinking about reducing the length of the cowl. And the landing gear may get reshaped.

Maxum STOL 07.jpg

Well one more picture I guess. I'm still doing small tweaks to refine the looks. I made the VStab one half inch shorter and reduced the space between the bottom of the rudder and the fuselage. The next thing I'm going to do is reduce the width of the ailerons a little., going with the fact I've reduced all the other control surfaces.

Maxum STOL 09.jpg

Reducing the width of the ailerons and flaps was next so I reduced them 10% and they're still plenty wide. I want this plane to be balanced looking and I think I have it pretty good. But if you have any thoughts on it now is the time, otherwise I'll move on to something else and call the overall looks finished. I might do something with the landing gear but I'm not sure. I'm not trying to make this a fun fly plane most of the STOL planes I've seen didn't have huge control surface. So let me know what you think. Thanks.

Maxum STOL 10.jpgMaxum STOL 09.jpg

I've never added slats to a plane so I need your opinion on them. Do they look okay? Are they out far enough from the wing? I haven't added any mounting points to them yet but I will. I haven't reworked the gear yet for the reshaped fuselage but I will soon.

Maxum STOL 11.jpgMaxum STOL 12.jpgMaxum STOL 13.jpg

Back