Menu bar not visible

AlexanderHeli

I did read some threads about the missing menu bar. I could not get the console by pressing ~ but with windows-X the execute screen opened. But when I entered "showlegacymenu" it indicates that the file cannot be found. How do I resolve this issue?

Start RF Evolution in Steam, when you see the aircraft ready to fly, press the ~ key to open the Command screen, type showlegacymenu into the Commands bar and hit Enter key to enable the command, then press the Esc key to exit the command screen
See attached picture, click on it to expand.

Attachments

• showlegacymenu.jpg
    showlegacymenu.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 11
Start RF Evolution in Steam, when you see the aircraft ready to fly, press the ~ key to open the Command screen, type showlegacymenu into the Commands bar and hit Enter key to enable the command, then press the Esc key to exit the command screen
See attached picture, click on it to expandI d

Try this:
Use notepad to edit this file: startupscript.jpg
Note: You'll need to tell notepad to show all files to see it because it doesn't have a file extension of .txt.

Add a new line: ShowLegacyMenu on
You might also want to add another line: ShowMenuNotification off
Save the file.
Run RF - you should see it now.

Last edited:
When I enter ~ nothing happens, thats my problem.
DO NOT add the command to the file as suggested by Bill Stuntz! (See further down if you did!)

You are confused - the Windows-X or Start/Execute you refer to is part of Windows, and NOT part of Real Flight.

You must start Real Flight first!
From within Real Flight, click on any choices to get you to an airplane sitting on a runway. It can be anything.
THEN hit the tilde key ("~"). At the prompt shown at the bottom of the screen, type "showLegacyMenu" and hit enter.
It will confirm that the command was run, and you will have the menu at the top of the screen
Hit "~" again to close the command prompt section.

The menu will stay whenever you start Real Flight - until you enter "showLegacyMenu" again - then it turns off the menu.

Each time you type the command, it alternates between turning the menu on and the menu off. By putting the command in the startup file, the menu will only appear every other time you start Real Flight! So if you have already edited the file, please go back and delete the command.

Bill's other suggestion - "ShowMenuNotification off" also stays set until you type it again using the "~", and tell it to be "on". So putting it in the startup file is redundant, but since it is always setting it to "off" in the file, no problems will result.

Okay if the tilde key does not work, try pressing Control+Shift+C together to enter the Commands screen.

Okay if the tilde key does not work, try pressing Control+Shift+C together to enter the Commands screen.
Not sure if this is still necessary but in previous RF versions I found I needed to select a US Keyboard in windows for RF to then allow the ~ command to work properly.

Not sure if this is still necessary but in previous RF versions I found I needed to select a US Keyboard in windows for RF to then allow the ~ command to work properly.
Now THAT is a good tip, and may be the source of the issue!

DO NOT add the command to the file as suggested by Bill Stuntz! (See further down if you did!)

You are confused - the Windows-X or Start/Execute you refer to is part of Windows, and NOT part of Real Flight.

You must start Real Flight first!
From within Real Flight, click on any choices to get you to an airplane sitting on a runway. It can be anything.
THEN hit the tilde key ("~"). At the prompt shown at the bottom of the screen, type "showLegacyMenu" and hit enter.
It will confirm that the command was run, and you will have the menu at the top of the screen
Hit "~" again to close the command prompt section.

The menu will stay whenever you start Real Flight - until you enter "showLegacyMenu" again - then it turns off the menu.

Each time you type the command, it alternates between turning the menu on and the menu off. By putting the command in the startup file, the menu will only appear every other time you start Real Flight! So if you have already edited the file, please go back and delete the command.

Bill's other suggestion - "ShowMenuNotification off" also stays set until you type it again using the "~", and tell it to be "on". So putting it in the startup file is redundant, but since it is always setting it to "off" in the file, no problems will result.
:mad: I object to the implication that using the startup script exactly the way it's designed will break something! And the commands I suggested work without accessing the RF console.

The OP stated that his tilde key doesn't open the RF console. And AFAIK, there's no way to enable the legacy menu without the command console or using the startup script. The commands I suggested will force that message off and the legacy menu bar on every time RF starts - whether his tilde key works or not. And if he gets his tilde key working, those commands in the console still toggle them.
I have no idea why his tilde key shouldn't work - he obviously has one and used it in his post. I'm not aware of anything other than the tilde key that will open RF's console. So I suggested a way that works without the console.

Ya, good one mate. That command is actually in my rf9.5 manual and also listed in the Help/show commands (H key). Still works with RF9.5s, esc to exit. Hopefully also works with Evolution. Cheers.

:mad: I object to the implication that using the startup script exactly the way it's designed will break something! And the commands I suggested work without accessing the RF console.

The OP stated that his tilde key doesn't open the RF console. And AFAIK, there's no way to enable the legacy menu without the command console or using the startup script. The commands I suggested will force that message off and the legacy menu bar on every time RF starts - whether his tilde key works or not. And if he gets his tilde key working, those commands in the console still toggle them.
I have no idea why his tilde key shouldn't work - he obviously has one and used it in his post. I'm not aware of anything other than the tilde key that will open RF's console. So I suggested a way that works without the console.

My apologies to Bill, and the others following this thread. It was I that fired off prematurely without following his directions exactly. [I edited the prior post so the missassumption doesn't appear for all eternity!]
From prior discussion in these threads and then the first line of the Help result in the command line, I assumed it was ONLY a toggle. It can be, of course. But as more complete reading of the instructions showed, as Bill said, including the on or off modifier makes it explicit. In which case, including the whole of Bill's instruction: "showLegaceyMenu on" forces it to always display.
Again - apologies to Bill for my own error.

His instructions do work, and are a good solution to the original problem.

Last edited:
There is a potentially bad side effect of doing it the way I described: The setting inside RF for those commands is normally sticky... turn it on/off in RF & it normally stays that way the next time you run RF. If it's forced on/off in the startup script that stickiness is overridden by the startup command. So this might not be good way to control a sticky toggle. But it also works for commands like "showmethemoney" that aren't sticky. You can run commands like that in the startup script so you don't need to type it in every time.

Tilde not working (~)

Edited as below does open Chat, not Console.
Keyboard language issue. Per example with french keyboard, while in Realflight, hit the [Enter] key after pressing the Tilde. Then the command line does appear.
While in Realflight, enable the Windows On-Screen Keyboard [Windows] + [Ctrl] + [O] and mouse click directly on the [Enter] key (Tilde not required).

If you want absolutely use the Tilde:
1. Enable Windows keyboard EN-US, add keyboard if not available
2. Enable it: ENG to be displayed in the taskbar
3. Display Windows On-Screen Keyboard: [Windows] + [Ctrl] + [O]
4. The Tilde is available on top left close to Esc, click on it

Otherwise press [Ctrl]+[Shift]+C keys.

Last edited:
I am new to this forum but appreciate all the support to resolve my problem. Great! But it looks like a keyboard related issue. The option CTR-WIndows-O showed me the keyboard and allowed me to enter ~. Now I see following below on the screen and when I try to enter "showlegacymenu" the " is not accepted. I can only type it without "". So still doesn't work. Now I changed in notebook the script, see image below. But when I startup it still doesn't work. What mistakes am I making?

Attachments

• Menu bar.png
    Menu bar.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • Notepad.png
    Notepad.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 7
@AlexanderHeli So you have what, a Dutch keyboard layout ?

Confirm on the screen you have to enter without double quotes (and without On or Off) Edit: Not true with RFE, both with or without double quotes are accepted by the Console (per example with RF 9.50 the double quotes were not accepted)

Every time you enter it on the screen he will switch between On and Off. Restart of RF is required (not talking about the script here).

I guess problem is that this command doesn't enable the legacy menu with current version 10.10.078 (was working before). Possibly same for the ShowMenuNotification command.
Edit: all working as expected, we must use the Console, not the Chat window, confusion started here.

Anyone else volunteer to test this?

Last edited:
I am new to this forum but appreciate all the support to resolve my problem. Great! But it looks like a keyboard related issue. The option CTR-WIndows-O showed me the keyboard and allowed me to enter ~. Now I see following below on the screen and when I try to enter "showlegacymenu" the " is not accepted. I can only type it without "". So still doesn't work. Now I changed in notebook the script, see image below. But when I startup it still doesn't work. What mistakes am I making?
In the first picture, you've stumbled into the "chat" command - used in multi-player sessions to text message others. It does look very similar to the Command Prompt you really want to get to. The clue that this isn't right is the blue bar saying "Chat". So typing showLegacyMenu still doesn't work.

In the second picture, eliminate the quotation marks from your two added instructions. Doing that will fix the issue, and you can forget about trying to open the Command Prompt. (Unless you want to continue to pursue the challenge of finding the right key for your keyboard, of course).

This is actually a very simplified version of a programming language, which can be very picky about what characters appear, when. It currently is generating an error message that doesn't appear on screen (but would be seen if you ever get the equivalent of the ~ working!), because it doesn't understand what to do with the quotation marks. The example command does use them - but because they are in a specific spot, after a specific command, only then does it know how to interpret them. Welcome to the sometimes infuriating world of programming languages!

I guess problem is that this command doesn't enable the legacy menu with current version 10.10.078 (was working before). Possibly same for the ShowMenuNotification command.

Anyone else volunteer to test this?
I tried it in EVO 10.10.078 and I can use showlegacymenu just fine. It toggles the menu as expected.

Back