Microsoft ICE for Panoramas

fgibson

Last night I found Microsoft's Image Composite Editor (ICE) - a free download from Microsoft.

This software is awesome for stitching panoramas. Photoshop always gives me errors if I try to process more than 10 or 12 pics using their auto panorama, but ICE took 30 photos and stitched them quite nicely and quite quickly I might add.

If you are looking to create your own photo field airports, this software is worth a look. Files can be saved as jpg or psd (Photoshop)

Hello,

I have a quick question sorry, what is involved at making your own field PLEASE? I fly out of a real nice field here in Canada and would love to add it to the game, any help at all would be greatly received.

Ian

Hello,

I have a quick question sorry, what is involved at making your own field PLEASE? I fly out of a real nice field here in Canada and would love to add it to the game, any help at all would be greatly received.

Ian

It's a quick question but a long answer. First read the RF Manual chapter on Editing Airports. Then, search the forum for tutorials, etc. If you are a newcomer to RF like I was, it may seem overwhelming at first but keep researching and be prepared to put in a few hours. Play around with the airport editor and you'll begin to understand how things work. For photo field airports it's helpful if you have some image editing software like Photoshop.

I am currently working on a "tutorial" of sorts on how to create a decent panorama with the IPhone camera. May be a few weeks before it's done though.

You will find folks on this forum to be very knowledgeable but they will not spoon feed you.

Dig in and enjoy the ride!...or I should say - enjoy the flight!!

You sir are a true gent, I am new to the whole RF thing however I have created tracks in ASSETTO Corsa and GTR2 but never had to work with panoramic photos, I have got Photoshop and can use it to edit photos and some other bits.

A tutorial would be EPIC and would help the community along, I have the BASIC layout of the field all done but its just adding the photo that I am struggling with, as its always elongated and VERY distorted the sky cones and some photos are just lines. I am obviously doing something wrong weather it be in the taking of the panoramic or the import, I am just not sure how the photo should be as I just have stitched my 2 iPhone panoramic photos together in photoshop and imported them which as I say must be wrong.

Many thanks so far and I am looking forward to your video and any reply.

Make sure your panorama is exactly twice as wide as it is tall. For me, 24000x12000 pixels seems to work well. In Photoshop, create a new project the size I suggested and then fit your two panorama photos into the 24k x 12k canvas.

Also, the horizon line in your photo must be at the vertical center of the panorama, Given the size I mentioned, you want the horizon to be at the 6000 pixel line. You may have to fill in the bottom or top of the panorama once it is aligned. Don't forget to trim the sides if necessary so the seam is less visible when RF converts the file.

Not an expert on this but it works for me. Hope this helps.

Back