Miniature airport

Fly_electric

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=gn1qMYfFrro&feature=related

This link was sent to me by a retired friend, and although it is not RF, it is aviation and model related. Other forum members may find it interesting and may be able to identify where it is located. Those who read German can tell the rest of us what the text says.

In response to "how did they do this?" I replied:

Where did you find this?
More details about it would be interesting.

The motion I think is all done with magnets. On the planes, you can see a short wire/rod ahead of the nose wheel with a slightly larger mass at the end that may be a magnet. It looks like it pushes and pulls the plane just like the the heavy tractors push a plane away from the gate in real life. All the vehicles are probably very light, and for the trucks and cars they are apparently easily dragged by their magnets. Amazing detail includes brake lights too! To turn brake and cabin lights on, the vehicles may have miniature radio receivers, or information (maybe power too) might be encoded within a electro magnet signal. The control track under the tarmac may be a series of small electro magnets, and they are activated in sequence to pull a vehicle along. If that were true, then encoding data within the magnetic drive signal is simple (there are model slot cars and trains were information is encoded within the power connection, and there are various circuits with special ICs that allow communication over the AC power line. X10 is an example of that and has been around for a long time).
The take offs & landings are VERY cool. I see two rods connecting the runway to a plane, and due to its extension and length, I'm guessing the rods are part of the runway. How they manage to consistently attach to the plane for takeoff is not clear, but it works!
And above all there is a few tons of program code to make it all work.

I have not retired any friends yet... did not know it was possible. Is there an official registry? Are these x-friends able to receive compensation? What a concept.

This link was sent to me by a retired friend, and although it is not RF, it is aviation and model related.

If you watch the video... it seems that the planes move to the active runway and the rods used to support the plane attach without any human interaction... so they extend and lock into position accurately. It would be nice to see the underlying details. There was a huge monster human traversing the field in one shot - very scary. Might be very small Legos

Last edited:
Back