Missing Trees and Grass

Fun2av8RC

I sure would appreciate a suggestion on how to fix my missing trees and grass in my home AP.

File was created in RF-9 on a Windows 10 Machine. In the Edit mode, the pilot preview shows the trees. Launch the airport and not a tree in sight. This also happens in KE sites such as he Castle HD and other AP that have trees.

The AP file is on the Swap Pages: Cloud 9 Rebuild - Bean Station.AP

I downloaded and ran it in RF 8. Trees aplenty! Go into RF Settings,Graphics, Quality. There is an option to turn off display of all trees. I didn't play with it, but probably one of the others also controls the grass display.
That's one busy little vicinity around the AP. Hope the real one isn't that tight to fly in!

Hi Flapper! Believe it or not, that answer woke me up at 2am. I got up and went through the initialization file and checked any and everything to do with foliage, trees, and bushes. No luck on my end on the Win 10 machine. It works well on my Win 7 machine. So I am stuck wondering if its a graphics card issue, a Win 10 / RF-9 incompatibility, or just bad luck.

Anybody running Win 10 / RF-9 willing to try the AP file out?

I did get a mesh error about the intersection but the grass and all the trees showed up just fine.

Make sure you have all the free add-ons loaded and also DirectX 9 which is older.

This is on a Win 10 All-in-one Dell PC with built in Intel HD Graphics and running RF9 Version 9.00.022

Last edited:
I pulled out the RF9 DVD and loaded DirectX Ver 9. Rebooted the PC. Still no trees. I Loaded Palace.AP from RF9 as a double check. Looked at the AP via the Edit Mode. Lots and Lots of trees. Loaded the AP as a selected Airport - no trees.

Frustrating ... PilotAt6, thanks for the complement on the AP. It is only a piece of the Master AP which I can't wait to share as soon as I get this tree problem solved.

Update. My Win7 PC would not display trees. I loaded DirectX 9 from the RF9 DVD onto the PC. Downloaded the AP file. I got lots and lots of trees. Progress. Still need to figure out the Win10 machine. Is there a more current version of DirectX 9?

This may be silly, but did you go to the menu under View/Scenery and make sure trees are checked ?

I think that would apply to all AP, so not sure why it's affecting just the Bean Project.

I sent you a private message you may be interested in.

I use your airport … think it is well done. If you have more, please share!

In my earlier, which I didn't detail:
Try going to "Simulation", "Settings"
expand the entry for "Graphics". then "Quality"
Note there is an option to not show Trees. As for the grass, that may be Terrain Detail, or one of the others also turned off.

This sounds to me like tree visibility simply got disabled somehow on that one machine. PilotAt6 and Flapper have both described ways to toggle that setting (and those are two different ways to modify the same setting under the hood).

Re: DirectX, a few things are worth noting:
  • Numerous versions of DirectX can (and do) exist on your system simultaneously.
  • Even though you have a higher version of DirectX installed, RealFlight needs DirectX 9 specifically.
  • More than that, RealFlight requires some extra DirectX 9 helper components that are not included as part of a standard DirectX installation.
  • Good news: When installing RealFlight, all of the required DX9 components are installed before any of our software. If that DirectX portion of the task fails in any way, the RealFlight installation will not complete. So you can rest assured you have everything you need DirectX-wise. (Prior to the RealFlight 8 Horizon Hobby Edition this was not the case.)

Back