Model limitations?

sakamara

I am planning on modeling a Dornier Do X next but I suspect that there may be limitations in RF6 that prevent me from accomplishing a 12 engine plane.

Is there a max to the number of engines that RF can handle? Is the Dornier Do X too ambitious of a plane to try to build. :)

Attachments

• Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-10270,_Flugschiff_Dornier_Do_X.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-10270,_Flugschiff_Dornier_Do_X.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 15
I am planning on modeling a Dornier Do X next but I suspect that there may be limitations in RF6 that prevent me from accomplishing a 12 engine plane.

Is there a max to the number of engines that RF can handle? Is the Dornier Do X too ambitious of a plane to try to build. :)

I have no idea if the engines will be an issue. But looking at that plane, it could easily end up pushing the 20,000 polygon limit really hard. To some extent it will depend on whether you are willing to drop detail or live with the detail being drawn instead of modeled. For example, all those circular ports are going to be a huge polygon hog if you model them instead of doing them with the CS. And with 6 different engine modules and mounts, you could rack up the polygons there in a hurry. It is a really interesting plane.

I would suggest that you do six engines and make the rear facing props spinner objects. If you could do that with 20000 polys.

I removed the engine on the Sig Seniorita then added 6 symmetrical engines. I believe if it allows me to add this many than as long as the ~CS_ENGINE and ~CS_SPINNER objects are named sequentially all should be well. Configuration was easy to match as you can see in the pic.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 22
Thanks! I think the plane is worth a try so I am going to give it a go. I will probably have to do more work on the normal, specular and CS to bring in detail as my poly count will easily get too high; for example, windows and some of the body lines.

Do you think 1/32 is a good scale?
Wingspan: 59.03125 inches
Length: 49.25 inches

I would suspect the plane to be slow and heavy so I was thinking about setting it up in RF that way. I'm not sure if this will be enjoyable to fly or not though?

I think I'd double the wingspan. I'm not much for 10' RC planes, but I think this one should be.

The scale should be up to you and what you find a suitable size. As for how it will fly I think that people who enjoy flying scale will really enjoy this model. Good luck!:)

I would suspect the plane to be slow and heavy so I was thinking about setting it up in RF that way. I'm not sure if this will be enjoyable to fly or not though?

I agree with Boof on this. Those who enjoy flying scale will enjoy flying it for what it is. Those who don't probably won't even bother to download it. If this was hovering and doing knife edge passes, I would personally feel like it was an abomination. And if somebody really wants to set it up that way, they can.

As for scale, I would probably go somewhat larger simply because if it was a real RC plane, it would probably be difficult to do that many engines on that small a wing span. But at the end of the day, really it is whatever you want to do. And their are advantages to keeping it small such as being easier to fly in some of the smaller venues.

The engines aren't what you should worry about, but, personally, I have had issues
with the number of propeller blades on a given aircraft in the past.

There are a number of wing components you can have and more moveable pods makes the program run VERY slow on older machines. I know that eight is possible given the Hughes H-4 spruce goose on the swaps. I am not sure that more have been tried than that. DL the H-4 and add more motors and see what you get.
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/6045
It may also help you set up differential thrust for water maneuvering.

Back