Model Specifications

CanCanCase

Are the specifications for the aircraft in G6, Expansion Packs or Mega-Packs available anywhere prior to buying and loading the model and/or editor? Here's the dilemma:

I've got well over 3000 hours on the sticks flying the G3.5 Yak54. My trainer on day #1 at the field was a Carbon Z Yak, and week #2 brought a GreatPlanes Performance Series 25% Yak54 powered by an XYZ 53cc twin.

I just noticed the Yak in G3.5 is quite a bit larger than the GP model IRL. There isn't an engine to drop in to simulate the 53twin (there's not even a DA-50) in G3.5, let alone a model Yak that will fly with a similar engine. So, obviously 3.5 is discontinued and unsupported. I get that it's time to upgrade to G6, but I'm hesitant to buy anything unless there's a model close to what I'm looking for available.

There's the problem. All of the aircraft lists - G6, Mega-Pack, Expansion Packs - all have various Yaks listed, but none seem to be specific IRL models that I can look up specs to see if weight, wingspan, engine, etc. are even close to be worth an edit.

Is there a list of aircraft specs for the new generation of software and add-ons, or do we not know the size of a Yak54 or "Russian Thunder" until it's loaded on-screen?

-Case

G3 is discontinued, yes. It is not unsupported.

Okay, that's out of the way.

Any model in RF can be edited to be any size. (There is a 400% cap on sizing, though. RCers won't be bothered by that.) Any engine can be dropped into a model, even if it's not available stock. Engines and motors can be created by the end user, based on manufacturer's specifications. It is not necessary that a virtual model be created to match a specific model. If you find a Yak that looks close enough to yours, regardless of size, that's all you need. Models are sized and weighted using the RF editor.

A while back I made a product comparison table of the aircraft for RF
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=27546

You'll notice most are products under the hobbico marketing umbrella.
If you have a specific aircraft in mind from that list I can post its specs.
No way I'm posting all of them. :p

Also, Realflight.com has a complete list of them by product.

phrank said:
A while back I made a product comparison table of the aircraft for RF
https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=27546

You'll notice most are products under the hobbico marketing umbrella.
If you have a specific aircraft in mind from that list I can post its specs.
No way I'm posting all of them. :p

Also, Realflight.com has a complete list of them by product.
Phrank-

thanks... the comparison table is basically what I've found at Realflight.com... here's the question: I fly the GreatPlanes Performance Series 25% Yak54. I was always under the impression that this was represented by the stock G3+ Yak54, but now that I've flown the IRL model and the Yak in RF, the RF version is a fair bit larger, powered by a longer and greater pitch prop and a totally different engine.

I count 4 different Yak-54 models on your list (and in the product listings.) Do you happen to have modeled size and power-plant specs for the 4 Yak-54s ?

-Case

Ryan-

that's the one... thanks! I see EP4 is compatible with G3.5, so maybe I can wait a bit on the new version. Don't worry... I don't intend to wait past Christmas, if even that long!

Hey, edit/prune/move as necessary if this isn't the right place for this, but with all the talk of the R/C industry going to ARFs and how we're "losing our builders" these days, I had a thought about RealFlight... Why is it that the specs for most RF models don't show up anywhere until you buy the Expansion Pack, load the model, then view it in the editor?

The vast majority of guys in our club are "old school" and wouldn't THINK of downloading an AV from the swap pages to fly a particular model in a simulator. I can get many of them flying the sim, but the first question anyone asks is, "Gee, I have a new Great Planes so-n-so, can I fly THAT model in RealFlight?" Unless the RF model is named something like "Great Planes Performance Series 25% Yak-54 ARF" we don't really know whether "Russian Thunder" has a 70cc engine or a 43cc engine and an 81" wingspan.

I get the copyright issues... I wouldn't expect to see an Electrifly DR-1 in Phoenix or FS-One, and I wouldn't expect to see a UMX Beast 3D or CarbonZ Yak in RealFlight. Since RealFlight is published/distributed by GreatPlanes (Isn't that under the Hobbico umbrella?) wouldn't it make sense to have just about every Hobbico model simulated in RF? Then the question of what models to put in the next EP or MegaPack becomes a no-brainer... it's whatever Tower/Hobbico/GreatPlanes has added to their lineup since the last EP came out. Even if sim-modeling each Hobbico model isn't an option, what would be the harm in listing basic specs for each simulated model as it comes stock in RF? For example, instead of just saying there's a GreatPlanes Yak-54 in EP4 (and having to dig and ask online whether that model is modeled after the plane I'm tinkering with right now), why can't we read that the Yak in EP4 has an 81" wing, is powered by an OS FX1.60, and swings a 20x8 prop? (I'm guessing there, as I don't have EP4 installed yet...)

Sorry to ramble. It just seems to me that not many of the "old dudes" in the local club pay attention to specific model names, and even then, would be much more interested in a particular plane if we knew the wingspan, recommended engine size, etc.

-Case

You are a lone wolf on that issue. I don't think I'ver ever seen anyone else make that request before. I know it's been mentioned that any model in RF can be edited to fly exactly as you wish. You can take any plane, and size it anywhere from a micro to a 1/2 scale. Of course, all relevent changes must be done like motor type, prop size, component weights, etc.It's all in the editor. Don't be afraid to mess around there. Try editing one of the stock or Expansion Pack models. You can't screw it up. Those models force to you save the edit under a new name.

Jeff-

Very true, and I'm certainly not one to be afraid to tinker. I'm just trying to think like a business owner and look at the R/C airplane/heli market from a business perspective. I guarantee you if you talk to anyone in any of the modeling clubs I've been involved with, less than 50% of the members even own a computer, only 20-30% have ever flown on a sim (and most of those are from the 3 members that drag their PCs to the mall show!), and I'd guess less than 10% possess the technical skill necessary to edit a plane, download/load an AV, etc. If it's more than clicking on the model you want and twiddling the sticks, I see many people who just won't/can't get interested.

Now, let's say I've got "Old Dude #1" here who's telling "Old Dude #2" about how great his 1/4 scale Balsa USA Cub flies with the 53cc twin his son bought for him... Because there's no "1/4 Scale Balsa USA Cub" in G6, I'm going to have a tough time selling either Old Dude on the "Piper J-3 Cub" that IS included in G6... is that particular model a foam ultra-micro like the FlyZone RTF, or a .40 size, .60 size, .90 size? Maybe it's similar to a Bill Hempel giant scale model? From the RF website or publicly available information, we don't have much way to tell if this Cub is going to fly anything like our 108" wingspan Cub at all.

Many folks don't think in terms of scaling a model up or down to match real life. I notice a greater percentage of the stock G6 models are named after the kits/ARFs that they're modeled after - There's a GreatPlanes PT-40 and a Dynaflite Super Decathlon but no way to tell whether we're getting our hands on an ultra-micro foamy or a 45% monster...

-Case

The ironic part is that many of the people who do AVs (myself included) felt at one time as you do now.

No... the REAL ironic part is that I'm reading your reply talking about how things come full circle while looking at your avatar! ;-)

I don't think it would be more than a day's work for someone with G6 and all Expansion Packs to work up a specification spreadsheet... Then again, is there an "official KnifeEdge" reason for not wanting to put spec information out in public?

Personally, I think it would be a GREAT sales tactic to have individual aircraft modeled and available commercially. A few bucks each for a virtual model that I might want to try-fly before I buy. Manufacturers like GreatPlanes could bundle the "Official" RealFlight model of their new model with their new model, or release the sim version a few weeks before the IRL version to build a little hype.

Oh well... not my company to run, and I certainly don't want to make a habit of telling others how to run their business! I guess it's back to running laundromats and waiting for EP4 to arrive!

-Case

CanCanCase said:
but no way to tell whether we're getting our hands on an ultra-micro foamy or a 45% monster...

-Case

A) LOOK in the editor and compare specs

B) Its not a perfect world !
do what every one else does :
edit the Piper J-3 Cub that IS included in G6 to the 1/4 Scale Balsa USA Cub specs or with the 53cc twin (then you need old due #2 to test fly it in RF)
If its done right it should fly just like or very close to the 1/4 Scale Balsa USA Cub with the Twin53cc..........
dont have a 53cctwin in rf?......MAKE ONE from an existing twin engine

Engine names in RF are really meaningless adjust the torque curve , weight etc. of an existing twin engine presto 53cc twin ! (re- name new edited engine accordingly)
if you own the 1/4 Scale Balsa USA Cub and are familiar with the way it flies
that should not be a problem to make it LIKE YOURS(or his) .again you need old dude #2 to test fly it in RF only he can judge how close it is

RF was never intended to be nor could it or any other Sim ever be a 100% accurate model to model comparison
CanCanCase said:
Personally, I think it would be a GREAT sales tactic to have individual aircraft modeled and available commercially. A few bucks each for a virtual model that I might want to try-fly before I buy.

-Case

Not All kits (or even ARFs are built and set up EXACTLY the same as the next guys anyhow
to satisfy ever cub owner we'd have what 100's of Cub AVs?
KE and creators of AVs can only edit things that they are familiar with .....
every model in RF needs to be edited to be exactly like yours which by definition means it may not be Exactly like mine or the next guys.......IMO

CanCanCase said:
or release the sim version a few weeks before the IRL version to build a little hype.
-Case
they did............... ;)

Last edited:
CanCanCase said:
I don't think it would be more than a day's work for someone with G6 and all Expansion Packs to work up a specification spreadsheet... Then again, is there an "official KnifeEdge" reason for not wanting to put spec information out in public?
I doubt that's the case. A couple months ago, Norton put together a few posts showing pictures of all of the Expansion Pack aircraft. Maybe you could grease his palm and convince him to add some specs.

I'd give you bonus points for suggesting that implementing your ideas would improve KE's bottom line, but that tactic has been done to death here.

"We need more Calgon!""
"Ancient Chinese secret, huh?"

Back