Model variation - Ares Gamma

pedwards2932

I am new to this forum and not sure if I am in the right section. I am trying to modify the Flyzone Sensei to match my Ares Gamma. I have changed the physics to 65% which hits the size pretty close. I then modified the wing dimensions and airfoil to be closer to the Gamma. Since I couldn't find any data on what airfoil was used I matched it visually as best as I could. Also no data from manufactorer on incidence or washout. I also chose a battery that matched as close as I could. I have a few questions. I want to fly this 3 channel for now. I have moved the rudder control to the aileron channel. I would like to shut off the aileron completely if possible. I don't see a way to do it. Also is there a way to match the motor with what is on the Gamma? Finally can you edit the Sensei's graphics or is what you see what you get.....in a perfect world it would be nice if you could edit the skin that is on the 3d model. Sorry for the long post but I'm a new user and couldn't seem to find a lot of info on how all this is done.

I am new to this forum and not sure if I am in the right section. I am trying to modify the Flyzone Sensei to match my Ares Gamma. I have changed the physics to 65% which hits the size pretty close. I then modified the wing dimensions and airfoil to be closer to the Gamma. Since I couldn't find any data on what airfoil was used I matched it visually as best as I could. Also no data from manufactorer on incidence or washout. I also chose a battery that matched as close as I could. I have a few questions. I want to fly this 3 channel for now. I have moved the rudder control to the aileron channel. I would like to shut off the aileron completely if possible. I don't see a way to do it. Also is there a way to match the motor with what is on the Gamma? Finally can you edit the Sensei's graphics or is what you see what you get.....in a perfect world it would be nice if you could edit the skin that is on the 3d model. Sorry for the long post but I'm a new user and couldn't seem to find a lot of info on how all this is done.

To remove the aileron function, select it in the editor and change the servo to no servo.

You can edit the motor curves to better match what you want on it.

Yes, you can change the color scheme. Under the aircraft menu, select save CS as and give it a name. Then go back and select that CS. Using an image editing program such as Photoshop or gimp, navigate to the color scheme folder in the RF files and select the .tga that you saved. You can then edit it as desired. I can give a link to the steps later when I have more time to look for it.

Many thanks...

Just the info I needed. I contacted Ares and the person that answers their e-mail couldn't get me any info on the model. I think I have the airfoil pretty close. I can measure the incidence, washout, and dihedral. I wish there was a way to get to the plane editing without having to hook up my transmitter but it seems you have to have it in the loop before RF will start. Thanks for the help.

Yes I tried it first with the modified one then with the original stock one and got the same results when I try the save as I get this error: Could not save color scheme make sure it isn't read only

When you are adjusting the weights on the model fuselage there is a value called "current mass with children" is this the total weight of the airplane? I am trying to match the weight with the actual weight of the Gamma.

I figured it out......airframe gives total weight. When you change the physics by 65% it doesn't change any of the weights so you have to change them all....the landing gear was really heavy which was throwing the fuselage weight off.

Yes I tried it first with the modified one then with the original stock one and got the same results when I try the save as I get this error: Could not save color scheme make sure it isn't read only

Im not sure whats going on, but I just refreshed my memory on my end, and all works as I thought. You pick the model you want to color, click "save colorscheme as" under the aircraft tab. I got a nice green success notification at the bottom of the screen. You can click that, or go back into the aircraft tab and click "select colorscheme".

I talked with tech support and they had the same issue with the Flyzone Sensei model for some reason the CS is read only. They said I could go to Knifeedges site and get a copy of it.

Good news

I successfully flew my Gamma which I directly attribute to RealFlight. This was after breaking 3 props and a propshaft last week. The model I modified flew very much like my Gamma and I put in about 2 hours flight sim and had no real problems other than a take off that had too much throttle. I am not sure where to get the CS file that tech help told me I could get.

I downloaded a CS file from the swap site and used a sensei CS and when I put it on the model it doesn't fit properly. I tried it on a stock sensei as well and it doesn't fit. The CS file is from Realflight 6.5. I tried 2 different CS files with the same issue....it looks like the graphic are too large. I have RealFlight 7.

It's not that it's too large. It's that a cs is custom created for the model or varient of the model it's applied to. They are not simply interchangable. When you make a new cs you either modify the one for your model or create one from scratch using an image editing program. When the model is made in a 3d modeling package the model's parts are "unwrapped" and flattened then arranged in a square image. This is then textured and applied to the model. No single parts plotting is employed. Each model's mapping is unigue like a finger print.

ok then I don't understand.....I got the CS from a flyzone sensei in the swap files (flyzone sensei GREEN_CS) and the model I am using it with is a flyzone sensei so I think it would fit. I tried it on a stock sensei from my program and from the one I had changed the physics on. I do 3d modeling at work and have skinned models before. When I put the .tga file in gimp I can see how to edit it....but when it is put on a sensei it doesn't fit properly. I am unable to make a copy of the sensei CS in RealFlight because according to tech support the file has been made read only.

It creates 3 tga files. The ones I listed earlier were from a sensei that appeared to be a rebranded model but the flyzone sensei GREEN_CS is off the stock flyzone sensei and it did the same thing created 3 tga files. I thought there should only be one.

One is for color and opacity. Another for specular. The other is a normals map for panel lines and rivet and such. All 3 use the same mapping template. I will check out the sensi tomorrow to see if i can help.

I decided to look a little bit into this as well, only been looking for a few minutes, but I searched the swaps and found a Flyzone Sensei EA made by sakamara, is this the model you are attempting to work with?

I will get this model and see what I can do to help as well.

Back