Modeltech Magic

I think csgill75 will do a more accurate job than I as he has access to the real plane, even more so as he knows how to fly 3D. One thing I also noticed in looking at the manufacturer's web site is the A.U.W. should be about 3.5 lbs.

As some know, I'm working on a custom RW plane and am using RF to help in the design. The RW vs RF comparison stuff is pretty cool.

Look forward to what you come up with csgill75!

RealFlight physics are actually very accurate and mimic the real world aircraft accurately. There is a limit though. When you get into the 1/4 scale and bigger models, Realflight tends to be more Floaty (is that a real word?). Wing lift has to be reduced or weight added to the model to get it to fly correctly. This isn't a issue with the smaller models and I've been able to get my other planes to fly like the real aircraft in the simulator.

Battery placement is how I change the CG in the real plane. If I want a sport/pattern plane, I move it forward. If I want to fly 3D, I move it back so it's a bit unstable. A unstable plane can do some neat tricks :)

RealFlight physics are actually very accurate and mimic the real world aircraft accurately. There is a limit though. When you get into the 1/4 scale and bigger models, Realflight tends to be more Floaty (is that a real word?). Wing lift has to be reduced or weight added to the model to get it to fly correctly. This isn't a issue with the smaller models and I've been able to get my other planes to fly like the real aircraft in the simulator.

Battery placement is how I change the CG in the real plane. If I want a sport/pattern plane, I move it forward. If I want to fly 3D, I move it back so it's a bit unstable. A unstable plane can do some neat tricks :)

csgill75!

... and don't we know it! <smile> After all the time spent on the 1/3 Fokker Dr.I, that's exactly what you and I found! "Floaty" would be an excellent word to describe it. Adding weight was the key!, as CG shifts didn't seem to do much to that one! I tweeked it even more and have it in a nice REAL FEEL area on the sticks. It's been a blast flying it what with all your input!, and especially so after uncle twist did it up in my actual 1/4 scale models colors! ALL you guys are the BEST!!!

TPRogers

technoid!

Another beautifully rendered model this is! Just wanted to throw my hat into the ring and say so. I've been in FULL gig mode, thus haven't posted in a while, but I always stop in and read what's going on here!, and of course FLY your creations! <smile> The Modeltech Magic is about as far away from WWI scale as I could get, but I love flying it! Nice to be able to mix it up from time to time for me! SUPERB model!

TPRogers

Posted my AV. I just had to get it done. I think its pretty accurate. Its amazing how close I can get it to fly but Realflight does a good job at this type of thing. I just pulled the numbers from the real plane, Angles of deflection on the surfaces, Rates, power, and its damn close to the real thing. close enough for me anyways.

As mentioned in the description, I take off and land in low rates and the rates are turned way down to just 30%. It will be tail heavy at low speed and want to loop. It will also want to tip stall at the lower speeds so the biggest challenge is the landing part. I've crashed it more on landing than at any other point in the flight. A gust of wind while on final will end in disaster if you don't think to power out and go around. Ask me how I know :D.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoy and can get a taste of what the real aircraft is capable of doing. It's definitely not for the novice but I think you guys should be able to handle it. :)

Posted my AV. I just had to get it done. I think its pretty accurate. Its amazing how close I can get it to fly but Realflight does a good job at this type of thing. I just pulled the numbers from the real plane, Angles of deflection on the surfaces, Rates, power, and its damn close to the real thing. close enough for me anyways.

As mentioned in the description, I take off and land in low rates and the rates are turned way down to just 30%. It will be tail heavy at low speed and want to loop. It will also want to tip stall at the lower speeds so the biggest challenge is the landing part. I've crashed it more on landing than at any other point in the flight. A gust of wind while on final will end in disaster if you don't think to power out and go around. Ask me how I know :D.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoy and can get a taste of what the real aircraft is capable of doing. It's definitely not for the novice but I think you guys should be able to handle it. :)

Very cool, thanks !

Very cool, thanks !

Thank you so much for creating this model! I'm so happy to finally have not just something close to my Magic but to have THE Magic in the sim.

Your setup is probably how most people will prefer it, but mine is the alter ego or Mr. Hyde to your Dr. Jekyll, as mentioned in the description. I can fly the real plane with a similar setup as yours with how I put the battery in. The battery is the heaviest item in the plane so where I put it effects what it does.

Now that it is in the sim, this weekend I plan on doing some mixing of elevator/aileron and flaperons. I have always been too scared to do it on the real plane knowing how it flies. With RealFlight I can do it in the sim before I try it on the real plane. I may like it, might hate it, but at least I can finally try it!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for creating this model! I'm so happy to finally have not just something close to my Magic but to have THE Magic in the sim.

Your setup is probably how most people will prefer it, but mine is the alter ego or Mr. Hyde to your Dr. Jekyll, as mentioned in the description. I can fly the real plane with a similar setup as yours with how I put the battery in. The battery is the heaviest item in the plane so where I put it effects what it does.

Now that it is in the sim, this weekend I plan on doing some mixing of elevator/aileron and flaperons. I have always been too scared to do it on the real plane knowing how it flies. With RealFlight I can do it in the sim before I try it on the real plane. I may like it, might hate it, but at least I can finally try it!

Yes it's better to crash it in RF and save the real plane. Let us know how it goes.

Back